Westland Wessex help needed

Wonko the Sane

Hi Modellers

I need help/advice/technical info on the actual workings of the pitch control mechanism (the parts hiding after the arrows) of the full size Westland Wessex. I have tons of detailed photos of the tail folded open, but that's it.

8253820171_e12a60bea8_b_zpskql5fbdy.jpg

I am busy with a 1:8 th Wessex...

Thanks in advance

W

• 1 month later...

Depends what you want to know.  I am not a Wessex expert (you need Hendie for that; he used to fix them), but I flew Sea Kings and the tail fold set-up looks the same.  The bell-crank is si ply there to prevent you having to disconnect the flying controls every time the tail was folded; the runs either side are just rods which run to their respective controls.

Or have I missed tye point of what you're asking?

Hi,

Maybe this will help?

The right arrow in your picture:- This is the Tail boom/Main airframe side. Attached to the Pitch control rod is a cable tension beam, this brings together both flight control cables from either side of the Tail boom roof. Thant allows both cables to pivot the tension beam side to side, this had the effect of moving the pitch control rod (PCR) in or out.

The left arrow in your picture:- The in or out movement is the transmitted through the two PCR's in the picture to a bell crank and angled by 45 degrees upwards toward the tail gearbox. The tail gearbox, TGB, has a further bellcrank mounted on to to move this push/ pull movement 90 degrees onto the pitch change 'spider' and so to each of the four Tail rotor blades.

If you send me a PM with your email on I'll find my training notes with a few pictures to help?

• Like 1