Valom Bristol Brigand B.1 1/72, another restart

Today is a special night in Sweden. "Uppesittarkväll" which basically involves staying up late, wrapping presents and watching TV. Since we managed to watch Love Actually yesterday, I got some masking done instead. Almost the same thing.

31018946003_a6becd0550_o.jpg

Should be ready to paint interior gray/green tomorrow then!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Christer A said:

Today is a special night in Sweden. "Uppesittarkväll" which basically involves staying up late, wrapping presents and watching TV. Since we managed to watch Love Actually yesterday, I got some masking done instead. Almost the same thing.

31018946003_a6becd0550_o.jpg

Should be ready to paint interior gray/green tomorrow then!

This Brigand looks a bit weird to me........must be the wine.........................hicc..............cheers Christer

Adey

• Like 1

The ominously named storm Urd is getting closer by the minute. This morning, we went down to the sea here on the west coast to experience it.

31855888076_c81232f8df_o.jpg

31855887916_09ecd4dda8_o.jpg

(yeah, that's not much compared to real storms...)

After all that, I had a major painting day!

The Brigand got the correct canopy in place, and some Medium sea Gray on top

31051195794_67aa68e581_o.jpg

And also a clear coat!

Next up, masking.

• Like 8

What Ced said Christer, the Brg's looking fine from here. Nice photos too btw. What's that extraordinarily massive tan-coloured structure in the second outdoor photo? Some kind of fortress, or a sea wall?

Tony

Thanks Ced & Tony!

The structure is an old Fortress, Varbergs Fästning (link to wikipedia)

First built during the end of the 13th century but the walls that are seen now are from the 17th.

Today no modelling was done, since I went to the cinema with my 11-yo daughter to see Rogue One.

We had a blast!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Nato black was it?

Hmmm....I do remember an unsightly gap in one of the engine cowlings that appeared after I had painted and shaded the darn thing.

After plugging it with some strips of plastic I sort of put it on the shelf of doom to cool off for a while...

But you're giving me some much needed kick in the rear side to bring it back into the light once more!

Thanks Ced!

• Like 3

On 22/11/2016 at 10:59 AM, Martian Hale said:

Nice work! I think the cooling fans are a must as they are so distinctive on the real aircraft.

Martian

Aeroclub used to do a cooling fan for the Fw 190's BMW engine.  Not sure how many blades it had but  not sure who'd be counting.  And it's a lot better than I could scratch build.

BTW I also have an article off Hyperscale from some year back where an ex-Buckmaster fitter explains that Buckmasters did not have the cooling fans and, I think, some Brigands had them removed during their final years. 

• Like 3

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 22:01, Seahawk said:

Aeroclub used to do a cooling fan for the Fw 190's BMW engine.  Not sure how many blades it had but  not sure who'd be counting.  And it's a lot better than I could scratch build.

BTW I also have an article off Hyperscale from some year back where an ex-Buckmaster fitter explains that Buckmasters did not have the cooling fans and, I think, some Brigands had them removed during their final years. 

Buckmasters did not have the cooling fans and, I think, some Brigands had them removed during their final years

Image result for bristol buckmaster

This Buckmaster has engine cooling fans.

And so does this one...............

This Brigand radar trainer has them...............

Image result for bristol brigand

and so does this one.

cheers, Adrian

Edited by adey m
  • Like 2

Okay Brigand-fanclub, this is what I need to redo:

32364836634_e32372284b_o.jpg

I'll probably never be satisfied with this area, so maybe it's time to move on, and shoot some Ultimate black primer on it?

After all, it's nearly time to join my first BM groupbuild, so I need to finish this....

32364836424_23f45424f7_o.jpg

• Like 3

Ah, the infamous 'Curse of the Cowlings'! 

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

I'll probably never be satisfied with this area, so maybe it's time to move on, and shoot some Ultimate black primer on it?

Probably the best move.

• Like 1

This is how it turned out after painting

32415658963_7a4211d065_o.jpg

It was painted with Tamiya flat black and postshaded with Nato black.

I wonder how it will look after a gloss coat?

That'll wait until tomorrow though, for now I'm too eager to peel off the tape, which to me is one of the highlights in this hobby, if not THE highlight

33188944436_b5012c129d_o.jpg

This is actually more fun than unwrapping Christmas presents!

Unfortunately, I had some bleed through

32415658453_c44d4cbc42_o.jpg

But that surely builds character!

• Like 3

You will have nightmares about removing masking tape from now on Christer...................

regards, Adrian

Edited by adey m