Valom Bristol Brigand B.1 1/72, another restart

It's more fun to separate builds into different topics, don't you think?

In my Burma Beaufighter, I mentioned that I fiddled with a Brigand as well, so why don't show it here then?

I started way back in 2011, and this was my first attempt at a short run kit.

First thing to tackle was actually the engine/landing gear nacelles.

P1040767_small.jpg

It's sort of an approximate fit...

P1040768_small.jpg

P1040769_small.jpg

P1040770_small.jpg

But the details are nice at least. It was painted grey as per instructions dictated, and given a light wash

P1040968_small.jpg

That'll have to do.

Now, someone will probably say that they're supposed to be black...

I can change that if needed.

The nacelles them self aren't what I'd call circular, but who cares?

P1040771_small.jpg

The fit against the wing is also less than stellar

P1040969_small.jpg

Brute force to the rescue!

P1040973_small.jpg

After the nacelles and wings were "done" i started with the cockpit.

Etched belts were a nice touch, but the look a little oversized.

P1050715_small.jpg

And the rudder pedals looks very small

P1050716_small.jpg

Ok, All etch was finally installed

P1060964_zpsf06d1df0.jpg

After that, the kit was boxed for a while, until 2013 when i started to paint some random bits.

Black basing in the cockpit

P1060966_zps5f095c55.jpg

Interior grey-green sprayed at and angle, just so.

P1060967_zps7231be70.jpg

P1060968_zps21088018.jpg

Look, I did some detail painting too

P1020274_zpse531b134.jpg

But it went back to it's box again.

Until this weekend, when I brought it along to have something to do during a model competition.

End of the historical era.

• Like 4

Right, time to say 2016 then, and here's where we are now.

The final bits got painted, and stuck together

P1040756_zps0dh0brid.jpg

The etch/film/plastic instrument panel looks very nice, but there's no way off knowing if it's in the right position.

Probably it will not be seen again.

P1040757_zps38uz7r4h.jpg

Those very nice bristols got some paint on them

P1040804_zps8e3hwmxh.jpg

I briefly toyed with the idea to add the exhaust pipes, but I don't think it can be seen.

A wash to follow shortly.

Now, should I do the cooling fans or not?

Something to ponder on while I glue the fuselage and wings together

P1040800_zpsqkgg6ltk.jpg

I made a huge leap of faith here, and didn't add any pins between fuselage and wing. Lots and lots of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement though...

It seems to be strong enoughnow, so today I followed up with adding the second wing as well!

Time to check all seams I think!

• Like 4

Good job Christer - that interior looks really nice and you've done well with the nacelles - I had the same problems with mine and didn't get them on straight (link in my signature).

Watching with interest but I think you've cracked most of the problems I had but watch the props! Separate blades, yuk! :) 

Thanks Ced! I actually had a read through of your entire Brigand thread last week before I took the plunge (again).

Yeah, the props/spinners look a bit hairy, but there are indents to aim at at least.

The fins have nothing of that sort and neither does the rocket rails. I think I'll pin the fins and just guess with the rockets.

No one could say if it's wrong or not...

• Like 2

There's some lovely work there but unfortunately, (not your fault at all, the work of the pattern maker) some of the internals are fiction - the radio bulkhead shouldn't be there and is a copy of one from a Ju 88!  Ditto the wheelbay detail - copied from the Special Hobby Ju 388!

It's a real shame that the kit is a bit of a dog, because there's no decent Brigand available.

• Like 2

I was thinking about the radio bulkhead. The entry hatch seems to be at the back with the bulkhead in place, there seems to be no way to get into the cockpit, unless a ladder is used, but the canopy doesn't seem to be able to open either...

Ok, wheelbays are bogus too. Paint them black then?

• Like 1

Hi Christer , well done for sticking with it . I built the Valom Buckmaster which uses the same wings , nacelles and engines. It seems to me that Valom guess or make up stuff they don't know.  Beware when you attach the engine cowlings to the nacelles....mine were pointing upwards....took quite a bit of filing to sort out.

I constructed individual engine fan blades from plastic strut....there are 18 to each engine .....it makes a difference to the model though.....I don't understand why Valom missed them. Buckmaster stuff quite sparse on the web, but plenty on the Brigand......a few Brigand cutaways to be found. The Brigand had a crew access hatch underneath the rear fuselage from which they entered the rear cockpit. Radio stuff was mounted on one side of fuselage facing the sideway seats.

Valom canopy very clear so it pays to detail the cockpit. You get a good idea of how big these Bristols were from the model.

• Like 2

I've just run over quickly from your Beaufighter thread. Quite tired now, I should have walked instead :confused: .

I have been meaning to read Ced's build for a long time. I will, and it's good to see you too, tackling this kit. There are a few variants in the Valom range and it's good to see what can be done to get the best out of them.

Would I be right in thinking that overall the external outline is pretty good? It looks it from my chair here at the back :) .

It seems to have nice restrained exterior detail too. 

I'm looking forward to the rest of this, and a nice bit of modulated grey on the top 

:popcorn: 

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi again Christer......from photos I have found on the web the Brigand cockpit interior was painted black....like you had it to start with :(  .....sorry

2 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

Raise the two side facing seats a tad before you button up the fuselage.

I probably should've done that....but now the fuselage is very closed and I've begun to fill the seams. Maybe I can pry them off anyway?

Or not, the result might just be worse...

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Enjoying your paint-working skills there Christer. Glad to see this up and running - keep up the good work!

Tony

Thanks Tony!

1 hour ago, adey m said:

Hi Christer , well done for sticking with it . I built the Valom Buckmaster which uses the same wings , nacelles and engines. It seems to me that Valom guess or make up stuff they don't know.  Beware when you attach the engine cowlings to the nacelles....mine were pointing upwards....took quite a bit of filing to sort out.

I constructed individual engine fan blades from plastic strut....there are 18 to each engine .....it makes a difference to the model though.....I don't understand why Valom missed them. Buckmaster stuff quite sparse on the web, but plenty on the Brigand......a few Brigand cutaways to be found. The Brigand had a crew access hatch underneath the rear fuselage from which they entered the rear cockpit. Radio stuff was mounted on one side of fuselage facing the sideway seats.

Valom canopy very clear so it pays to detail the cockpit. You get a good idea of how big these Bristols were from the model.

18-cylinder engine -18 blades on the fan. Simple mathematic.

Yes, it's a big one, especially compared to the Beaufighter.

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I've just run over quickly from your Beaufighter thread. Quite tired now, I should have walked instead :confused: .

I have been meaning to read Ced's build for a long time. I will, and it's good to see you too, tackling this kit. There are a few variants in the Valom range and it's good to see what can be done to get the best out of them.

Would I be right in thinking that overall the external outline is pretty good? It looks it from my chair here at the back :) .

It seems to have nice restrained exterior detail too. 

I'm looking forward to the rest of this, and a nice bit of modulated grey on the top 

:popcorn: 

All best regards

TonyT

You RAN over? Someone must like a Brigand.

From what I can gather, the outline is the least of its problems but there's no other alternative.

Best to stick with it then.

36 minutes ago, adey m said:

Hi again Christer......from photos I have found on the web the Brigand cockpit interior was painted black....like you had it to start with :(  .....sorry

Thanks for the info!

Ok, black cockpit is the correct answer. Will I try to change it?

Probably not, since it's all closed up...

How about the wheel wells?

Black, grey/green, bare metal or polka dots on RLM04?

• Like 1

While I ponder the wheel well, I made another quickfix.

The Gunports looks quite bad I think

14991079_10205389749101884_8721681495826

I know that they had a lot of problems with gas buildup there, but these throughs look a little to wonky.
Time to add some plastic to sort it out.
14853136_10205389749141885_6098489068669

14940251_10205389749061883_2462586768536

After a brief sanding and a blast of primer it turned into this
14976928_10205389749461893_8533250207922

Some more careful sanding needed I think.

Oh, and the Brigand is flyable in War Thunder. But it's a long slog to unlock it :(

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ced!

I ate'nt dead! (as Granny Weatherwax likes to state with a sign) so let's continue onwards, in a random direction

Flickr is all the rage hereabouts, so naturally I need to test that as well. Seems to work just fine.

Oh, and I've added a special photography mat. Very special!

( It's just a piece of blue cloth, bought for almost nothing)
31010657542_445acfd511_h.jpg
The gun ports got some of it's panel lines back, and I also had a stab at trying to add back those rivets. Might need to neaten it a little more.

But off course, one also need to consider the two Bristols. The cowls and firewall is quite an approximate affair but that's the charm of a short-run kit!

After quite a bit of fettling I got one power egg in place
31040164281_2ac500755e_k.jpg
Let's just hope that this is the right way up..
31039975021_fbf0095fee_h.jpg
Looking at the other nacelle. you can see the step that needs to be filed down. Fortunately, the plastic is quite thick.
[30332952604_70abfa1aef_h.jpg

Right, lets get to work on the nacelles then!

Edited by Christer A
Spellin, as always.
  • Like 6

Hi Christer

Do not worry about whether the engines are right way up or not.................you will not see them once you get all those cooling fans on the front..........

great progress so far.

Adrian

Patrick (Old VG 33) posted a picture of his fans here. OR you could say it was an earlier version and the fans weren't fitted? That's what I did, but then I'm just lazy...