High Planes Sea Vixen FAW1

CJP

This is my High Planes Sea Vixen FAW1 - I have to admit this model has sat on the shelf of doom for several years in an almost completed state with even some decals applied - I was inspired by the excellent posts of Sea Vixens and Buccaneers on BM to have another look at it and finally complete it. The High Planes kit is a limited run kit and can form the basis of a nice model with some work.

I utilised some Airwaves Sea Vixen etches adapted to build up some cockpit detail for observer & pilot plus their Airbrake & ladder etch.

Master pitot tubes & refuelling probe tip

Also push moulded a new canopy as I stuffed up the vac form one in the kit

scratch built arrester hook in down position as the model is a tail sitter

Model Alliance decal sheet MA-72121 for the 890 Squadron markings

I also used Copper foil tape for the windscreen framing & part of the canopy framing – it is a black backed self adhesive tape easily cut in to strips and bedded down with a tooth pick

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG-4702.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg

Copper foil tape on sliding canopy below

IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

After looking at the above photographs I decided the red don't walk markings were a bit too subdued so I traced over the lines with an Artline plastic tipped red pen & sprayed with Testors clear lacquer to seal it

IMG_6185.jpgIMG_6186.jpg

IMG-6223.jpg

After completing the  High Planes Sea Vixen FAW1 I unpacked my old Frog Sea Vixen FAW2 from its storage box - after seeing a photo of a Sea Vixen in this pose I thought I would try mounting the Frog Vixen in the same dramatic way - this was done by drilling into the wingtip and inserting brass rod to support the model - the underside was masked off and given a fresh coat of white as the original finish  had yellowed over the years since first built - decals from the spares box & serials home printed - quite pleased how it looks from this angle and it has given an old model a new life - she is now back in the display case

IMG_5454.jpg

Now back to the Buccaneer

Edited by CJP
photo
  • Like 33

• 4 months later...

Why did I not see this before!!?? Excellent to see a finished HPM kit! I am doing this as the FAW2 and it has been quite a journey. Looking forward to the day when that baby blue plastic is covered up with XDSG.

pat

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pat C said:

Why did I not see this before!!?? Excellent to see a finished HPM kit! I am doing this as the FAW2 and it has been quite a journey. Looking forward to the day when that baby blue plastic is covered up with XDSG.

pat

HI Pat

Mine was a lengthy build too with periods of inactivity along the way - but it will be worth it in the end - would be nice to see the kit reissued with a resin interior, clear resin canopy, airbrake detail etc - don't know if the Pavla resin cockpit will fit the HPM Sea Vixen as it seems to be for the Cyber Hobby kit?

Nice looking Sea Vixen, and this is the first HighPlanes FAW.1 i have seen completed.

Not an easy build, and you should be justifiably proud of your accomplishment.

Having said that, now that you have chosen the difficult path and shown the way, its only a matter of days before Airfix announces one in 72nd scale, LOL

david

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Iv'e been looking for some 1/72 Firestreak missiles to hang off my High Planes Sea Vixen FAW1 and found the BarraCuda Cast resin missile set BR72215 - the missiles are very fine castings as you would expect from Roy Sutherland and include decals - painted as yellow training rounds - the mounting adapters scratchbuilt from 60 thou square strip

IMG_6206.jpgIMG_6214.jpgIMG_6222.jpg

IMG_6219.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
photo
  • Like 3