Bandai TFA Tie Fighter

Hello everyone. My name is Nigel, I live in Aus and I’ve been reading through these forums for a while now. Wow! There’s so much talent here and such a diverse group of skill sets to learn from. At the moment I’ve got several kits on the go at the same time (don’t we all) including an Eta-2 Actis-Class Interceptor, Hasbro and Bandai Falcons and a few batmobiles. Got some big plans for the Keaton mobile J

For now though, here's a Bandai 1/72 First Order TIE Fighter. Apologies for the qualities of the photos. I’ve recently gotten a canon 400D and I’ve got a lot to learn about lighting, DOF, etc.

I built it for my Step Daughter's BF. It's attached to the stand with magnets so can be removed to put on a different base or fly it around the lounge room, etc :)

I managed to fit everything inside… LED, fibre optics, battery and switch.

The battery could be accessed through the pilot hatch (yes the little pilot is in there). The bf thought he had broken the top when it came off so with all good intentions, he super-glued it back on. This however makes it now impossible to change the battery which has long since run out. At the time though it was a lot of fun holding this tiny model in your hand with working engine lights and sensor lights. I detailed the base with some scrap styrene and a dispenser bottle lid. The tie was sprayed with Tamiya flat black which was slightly buffed to give the sheen then dry-brushed with oils. The wings are Alclad dark aluminium sprayed straight over the primer coat.

Anyway, here's a few pics. Sorry again for the quality. Also, I've photo shopped the lights in these pics to try and show how it looked while they battery was still live.  

Tie 14

Tie 11

Back

Tie 15

Tie 6

Colour Test

Tie 13

Edited by Vanoyen
  • Like 6

On 31/10/2016 at 0:20 AM, Mike said:

:)  The pilot is way too calm for someone who has just had his ride nicked though ;)

Looks like he is just stood there with his hands in his pockets waiting for the bus lol

Really impressed with how much difference such a simple dio has made. When you mentioned about the screw cap I had to go back and have a good look - I'd not spotted its origins at all. Brilliant!

• Like 1

Cheers everyone. It's great incentive to be more active knowing others appreciate the work.

Yeah the standing pilot looks quite odd lol. It puzzles me as Bandai clearly have the ability to create small detailed figures in different posses yet they are always either standing like in the pics above or sitting at attention like in a school photo.

Anyone know why they've chosen not to pose the smaller scale figures? it would really be the icing on the cake if they did.

Edited by Vanoyen