Fairey Gannet AEW 3

Another from last year's KUTA. Needs the transfers finished, canopies added, masked and painted, and the undercart on. I've even got a set of masks for the canopy. Oh and the props as well. This should be straightforward. Well at the moment it seems straightforward. 

IMG_1422_zps2nzl8ia2.jpg

• Like 2

There are a lot of transfers still to go on. I wonder when to stop as small black stencils over EDSG don't really show. I'll put on those which are going to show up.

IMG_1427_zps5v7b4hsl.jpg

A few small parts; wheels, aerials, undercart doors given a coat of paint and the canopy popped on. It had already been trimmed and dipped in Kleer. It needs masked and painted as there are some rescue transfers to go on or around it. Sorry it's not so good a photo

IMG_1428_zpsa2bz2gah.jpg

Still some challenges to go, the black and white prop blades and the yellow and black striped arrestor hook and spinner the chief amongst them. Apart from the tiny etched aerials nothing much to do then!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Canopy masked and painted.  There are also a few stencils on as well

IMG_1534_zpsc7dtr6n7.jpg

Most things painted up for adding. A little bit of touching up needed. 

IMG_1535_zps7dmy4ddt.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. Slow but sure. I've got the props and spinners painted now and the wheels glued together, so from now on in it should be a straightforward session glueing things onto the airframe. 

A bit more work today. The fillets were added and the propellers assembled

IMG_1555_zpsytcm43cb.jpg

The undercarriage, sans wheels assembled.

IMG_1553_zpstxdzeahm.jpg

Unfortunately, despite a massive amount of Liquid Lead in the nose, it's still a tail sitter. It did balance when I tested it and I would have thought the scanner housing being mainly in front of the CoG then it would sit on its feet. But it's like any other Gannet I've built.

IMG_1554_zpsrlpxysdc.jpg

IMG_1556_zpscst2rwjz.jpg

Almost there 

• Like 1

Finished all the masking and painting of the bumble bee colours. I used 2mm tape for the arrestor hook and it was surprisingly straightforward. Undercart on as well as some details. Just needs a few aerials, rear cabin windows and a few small details, some touching up and it will be fit for the gallery.

IMG_1574_zpsajkdecng.jpg

Slightly atmospheric version. 

IMG_1573_zpsnpk9tkq7.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Added the rear transparencies and the landing light covers. Fought with the last off the etch and added all the sticky out bits. Done all the touching up and now we are ....... Finished. Ta da! And I must admit, apart from the tail sitting propensity the Gannet AEW is rather a beaut.

IMG_1593_zpsqppsgnhh.jpg

Too late to sort out gallery. Will do tomorrow. 

• Like 3