Sopwith Triplane (Prototype) Any info/pictures

Beardie

Hi all,

I have another copy of the Roden 1/32 Sopwith Triplane on the way to me (I have the Wingnuts kit but it's been saved for a later date) and it occurs to me that, as the kit was based on the dimensions of the Prototype rather than the production aircraft I thought it would be an idea to do the kit as the one of the two prototypes so I was wondering if anyone has any information or pictures of the two prototypes.

I gather at least one of them had a bare mid-section on the upper wing. Were both the same?

What other differences would there be to the production aircraft?

Hi Andrew,

Well as far as I know there were two which had a shorter fuselage than the final production aircraft and it was these dimensions that Roden used. Unfortunately I don't have any material on the sopwith triplane to draw on for information which is why I'm hoping someone might have more info.

I have foung online that the Great War Display Team have an aircraft built to represent prototype N500 and it has the centre section covered where I have seen photos of the real N500 with an uncovered top wing centre section.

Sorry if you've already looked at these.....P134 of Putnam's Sopwith Aircraft has a pic - they describe it as very early - of a clear doped Tripe with a 'transparent' centre section. Harleyford's Sopwith book is no help at all!. Do you have the Profile Publications booklet? I seem to remember it had three good N500 pics and one of them from the rear showed the centre-section as 'different'. Whether it was clear glazed or uncovered I can't remember (can't find my copy).

Beardie/Marty

I have the Profile publication and confirm Alans recollection that it has three decent photos of the prototype.  Drop me a pm with contact details and I will see what I can do to get them over to you.

John

Hi there, Alan, I don't have any books to hand other than stuff about the Sopwith Camel so flying blind on this one. There are a few pictures available online that seem to show either an uncovered centre section or it is covered with some transparent material. I do wonder though if, even though it may have been uncovered at time of original production, it might not have been covered once it went into service in France.

Hi!

There are two photos of Triplane prototype on page 5 of J. M. Bruce's Sopwith Triplane book, published by Windsock. On both internal construction of the ribs in the middle section of the top wing can be clearly seen. Otherwise, prototypes and early production machines retained Pup's horizontal tail. Cheers

Jure