1/72 - Avro 685 York by Mach 2 - released - new boxing

Homebee

• 2 months later...

That Skyways edition has rather caught my eye.  Good job most people build kits with the undercarriage down.  I believe the York's fuselage used to 'balloon' somewhat when in flight.  Now, that would be a modelling challenge. 

On 25/01/2017 at 11:53 PM, The Wooksta! said:

Having seen the rather rough mouldings - and the standard Lancaster parts are copies of the 1979 Airfix tooling - I'd wait for the Mikro-Mir kit.

Where have you seen them, trying to find online

Looking at the Telford photos I'm a bit concerned.  The rear fuselage windows seem to be too high up the fuselage sides and the fuselage corner radii appear to tight.  Mach 2 also appear to have missed the change in fuselage section at the wing roots: Avro kept the side skinning flat so as not to have to form double-curvature root fairings and this manifests itself as an upsweep in the lower edge of the radiused sections of skinning.  I cannot properly describe it, but try to have a look at pictures of G-ANTK at Duxford and TS798/"MW100" at Cosford and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

• 3 years later...

Didier seems determined to get maximum value out of his moulds! I cannot remember and I am not near my books, but some of the early York's had Lancaster rather than Lincoln shaped rudders. 

Having built the kit, I was quite surprised by it. Not easy, but by no means impossible and a lot of the differences were picked up on  for example the wing  changes to maintain the same span. If you want to see what one looks like finished, here is mine. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1