W W 1 book

Panzer Vor!!!

Hi

Can anyone recommend a book on the air war from14 to 18?? History of air combat from the earliest to the end of the war  ,covering the Fokker scrounge and such 

Not looking for squardron history but a book that cover s the entire war ???:rolleyes:

And no im not moving away from Tanks to Planes :fraidnot:

On 10/30/2016 at 4:14 PM, Panzer Vor!!! said:

the Fokker scrounge

Is that the bit where he took all the credit for interrupter gear and ignored the work of his engineering team...?

If you want the air war as a whole, then Ted Hooton's War over the Trenches is pretty decent. John H Morrow's Great War in the Air: Military Aviation from 1909 to 1921 is a good overview of all the nations, but written in a more 'academic' fashion (i.e. footnotes, etc), and Lee Kennet's The First Air War, 1914-1918 is also pretty decent.

If you're looking for air combat specifically, then the ubiquitous Norman Franks' Dogfight:Aerial Tactics of the Aces of World War 1 is OK; Jon Guttman's The Origin of the Fighter Aircraft is also worth a look. 

Edit - I should add that Hooton's book contains notes (end notes, if I remember rightly), but is written for a wider audience that Morrow's book (which is still pretty readable, I think).

Edited by XV107
Add info
  • Like 1