1:48 Eduard Spitfire Mk VIII, Aussie Eight Dual Combo Model #1 - Image Heavy

So good friends bought me this for Christmas last year, and I have been saving it for a good period of leave.

499911CD-AD3A-40A0-B366-BB5B9DA794FE_zpsz5btrqp9

I have never made an Eduard kit before. I wont say it was easy, some of the parts were pretty fiddly, but it was very satisfying. The kit comes with huge range of markings (31 in all). I settled on a bare metal scheme, as I have always wanted to do a Spitfire this way. I chose A58-379 flown by F/L David Glaser, 549 Squadron RAF based at Strauss Airstrip south of Darwin in September 1944. The main scheme came from a Tamiya rattle can (TS17 Gloss Aluminium), with all other detail painting being done with brush painted Tamiya Acrylics. I made her a little dirt with some watercolours (but hopefully not too dirty), sealed that in with Humbrol Mattcote and then wiped on a thin coat of floor polish to give  slight sheen (it seems F/L Glaser's ground crew kept his aircraft polished, I thought a full gloss finish though would be too much). Many thanks for looking.

A6773DCC-2D0D-442E-927F-FEB14B4883B6_zps7hvsfzd3

C0E7B70B-E328-4B7F-98F2-FD5594946B83_zpsfitj1coq

A775AEAE-4016-4FC7-9354-7DC64DE29938_zpsdljukmqq

C60C4653-A5B2-4DA7-9FB0-48E9FAF61608_zps0xthrz7t

20AB2535-C1B1-4AAA-81CC-C0AE1A70A2A3_zpsolgwbwub

EA763A1B-AE67-427E-9E86-02142BCB49B6_zpsnxo0fyzn

F37EC4A3-EBD1-48EC-A14F-F099509FA129_zpshfohjyxp

And here are a few pictures taken during the build:

443E593B-C4A2-4D31-8273-FEACF2C30B43_zpsw35w4qau

14748DB5-35BE-4D8F-937C-09FE62C77C06_zps8pkcmxoh

011F55D1-7F74-4593-8D61-EAB7C31ECB34_zpszejfpflu

52FDBC6A-7D24-4556-A702-A413FBF39079_zps9uzn3ej1

Edited by SimonL
Replacing Photobucket hosted images with Flickr images
  • Like 36

Excellent build Simon :goodjob:.  The biggest problem with this kit is trying to decide which two schemes of the 31 to do! I think you have made an great choice for the first one, what scheme will the second kit be in?

Andrew

Nice Aussie Spit Simon :goodjob: Nice to see a natural metal finish .  Bit disappointed its not 457 Sqdn RAAF, who were trained to fly Spits just up the road from me at RAF Andreas in the Isle of Man ( long time closed now) ... Those guys where a long way from home :(

BillyD

17 hours ago, AndrewE said:

Excellent build Simon :goodjob:.  The biggest problem with this kit is trying to decide which two schemes of the 31 to do! I think you have made an great choice for the first one, what scheme will the second kit be in?

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I really don't know. I am leaving the next one until the Christmas break, maybe I will have an idea then!

16 hours ago, franky boy said:

Great work Simon

Good to see a Spitfire in silver for a change.

More Eduard kits for you I think?

Well done

james

Thanks James. Yes, I expect so :-)

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thats a beauty Simon and I chose he same option myself,...... well done mate,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony.

11 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Wow - I really love this Spitfire - top notch build. Cannot believe it's just painted by using a rattle can and brushes. Congrats.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael. I nearly always use a rattle can for silver finishes, but my norm is to brush paint.

5 hours ago, Billydick said:

Nice Aussie Spit Simon :goodjob: Nice to see a natural metal finish .  Bit disappointed its not 457 Sqdn RAAF, who were trained to fly Spits just up the road from me at RAF Andreas in the Isle of Man ( long time closed now) ... Those guys where a long way from home :(

BillyD

Thanks BillyD, will need to look out for a future kit for 457 Squadron. Any idea what the flew?

4 hours ago, 426 said:

Nice one. The scheme really suits the spit. 

10 hours ago, polo1112 said:

Yes !!!

A silver Spitfire !!!

That is just fantastic.

I love it, it's a real gem.

Congratulations. Polo.:clap2:

6 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Very nice indeed, great to see a silver Spit.

Pete

Many thanks guys!

Hi Simon... think Eduard do a MkIX with the famous Grey Nurse markings with the sharks teeth of 457 Sqn, latterly during the war.

Unknown_zpsfukydive.jpeg

P028445.sized_zpswerwvljz.jpg

The BP code was used by 457 circa 1941 and this photo was apparently taken on the Isle of Man.  Don't know who the pilot is.  The ZP code was used afterwards when the Sqn moved on to fight the Japanese.

The sharks teeth (Grey Nurse) certainly would make for a strikingly fearsome model.  

Cheers

BillyD

1 hour ago, Billydick said:

Hi Simon... think Eduard do a MkIX with the famous Grey Nurse markings with the sharks teeth of 457 Sqn, latterly during the war.

The BP code was used by 457 circa 1941 and this photo was apparently taken on the Isle of Man.  Don't know who the pilot is.  The ZP code was used afterwards when the Sqn moved on to fight the Japanese.

The sharks teeth (Grey Nurse) certainly would make for a strikingly fearsome model.  

Cheers

BillyD

the 'Aussie Eight' boxing Simon has includes decals for 31 Australian schemes, including six with sharkteeth.

see here http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/kits/eduard1188reviewbf_1.htm

great book included too. 

3 hours ago, Billydick said:

Unknown_zpsfukydive.jpeg

P028445.sized_zpswerwvljz.jpg

Cheers

BillyD

Thanks BillyD. As Troy points out the Grey Nurse markings are actually present in the box, however everyone seems to do those, so I want to be a bit different. What aircraft would they have used on the Isle of Man. From a training point of view would they have been Spitfire Vb?

hard to tell from the pic Simon, as you can't really see the wing,  Training command were using Mk.I until 1945 though.  Billy may know more about what Mark they used,  and on occasion a chap from the IOM musuem posts here, Ivor Ramsden? 

• Like 1

For the second aircraft I am tending towards A58-370, DL-W, Darwin, May 1945,  Dark Earth and Middle Stone over Azure Blue, with some interesting overpainting with RAAF Light Earth. I also have an ICM Mk VIII kit which i intend to do as one of the foliage green over sky blue schemes.

• Like 2

Hi Simon/Troy,

Red Roo models, do a decal sheet 'The Away Team Part 2' which feature the aircraft , a Mk 1 as in the photo BP-C.  Interestingly the aircraft BP-H, a Mk.Vb which is also on the sheet, was flown Flt Lt JAA Gibson from RAF Jurby, who scored 14 kills in the Battle of France/Britain. As well, l, he was reputed to be the only Allied pilot who flew in Battles of France/Britain, the ETO and the SWPA.  I've got  the 1/72 sheet, but they do it in 1/48 as well.

The squadron was first based at RAF Jurby and the transferred to RAF Andreas in October 1941 and carried out coastal duties in the Irish sea as well as a training unit and I believe the squadron was pretty frustrated with lack of action.  As well they had apparently a Spitfire rarety a Mk VA, BP-U  R7348, poorly armed with only machine guns and not a welcome addition.

I haven't seen Ivor Ramsden on here for a while.  The Aviation Museum on the Island is well worth a visit, and Ivor's models are worth seeing.

BillyD 

• Like 2

Beautifully finished Simon,great job.I've eyed up the Gray Nurse schemed weekend boxing everytime I pop into my LMS I think the only

Australian aircraft I've ever built was Airfix's Boomerang way way back.

• Like 1

Hello,

For the Eduard Spifire kits, i use i palte of plasticart as a support for the exhaust, taht way, I'll glue the exhaust after the painting job.

I've tried the the resin upper cowling from a famous brand, but it is a bit too large, so, I'll came back to the originals ones, but I finished it before to fit it ont kit.

As usual, with Eduard, remember the upper Wheel bay of the Fw 190D-9... Funny ? Is'int it ?

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

On 31/10/2016 at 7:14 AM, SimonL said:

For the second aircraft I am tending towards A58-370, DL-W, Darwin, May 1945,  Dark Earth and Middle Stone over Azure Blue, with some interesting overpainting with RAAF Light Earth. I also have an ICM Mk VIII kit which i intend to do as one of the foliage green over sky blue schemes.

I`m doing this one in 1/72nd,.....here it is with some Kittyhawk/Warhawks which I`m building at the same time.

DSCF9291_zpscpptfq5x.jpg

I`ll be doing one of the Eduard models in this scheme too!

Just for interest,..here is my effort at the silver scheme too,.....I did a Foilage Green/Blue one too from an ICM kit but won`t bore you too much;

DSCF5181_zpsvoynr7v1.jpg

Seems we both have the same taste and I love your silver Spit,......looking forward to the 54 Sqn one,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...