An Anglo-Scottish Britannia in 1/144

There haven’t been many airliners in RFI recently probably because most of the usual suspects, including me, have been working on the Airliner III Group Build.

To keep the airliner flag flying here are some pictures of my group build entry, the Roden Britannia in the attractive livery of Donaldson International, an Anglo-Scottish charter airline which operated a clutch of second-hand Britannias in the late 1960s.  Decals are by 26.

35772015752_184d640626_k.jpg

35810010641_0d4787ba94_k.jpg

35810013141_40ca259deb_k.jpg

35810012361_6a0609f398_k.jpg

35942363595_17895bc662_k.jpg

Thanks for looking and the build thread is here if anyone wants to follow it.

Dave G

• Like 25

One of my favourite Britannia liveries finished to perfection, Dave. Be interesting to model all the liveries worn by VC, don't you think? VC flew in my two other favourite Britannia liveries BOAC and British Eagle.

Just found this interesting pic of a Donaldson Britannia, I think it'd make a nice diorama!!

Brit-G-APNB.jpg

Btw, first time I've seen anyone display on one of those mats!

Let's hope it's not too long before we see the SAS DC6 too.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

That looks lovely, an all time classic beautifully finished, I currently have one on the bench myself and would be over the moon if i could get anywhere near the quality of your build, lovely job.                                                                                                     Cheers  Michael.   

Thanks for your comments everybody - really appreciated!  Overall G-AOVC was an easy, fun build although it had its moments as you can see in the build thread.

17 hours ago, Turbofan said:

One of my favourite Britannia liveries finished to perfection, Dave. Be interesting to model all the liveries worn by VC, don't you think? VC flew in my two other favourite Britannia liveries BOAC and British Eagle.

Btw, first time I've seen anyone display on one of those mats!

Let's hope it's not too long before we see the SAS DC6 too.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, I'm sure I remember an article in Russell Brown's Airline Modeller magazine years ago where somebody had modelled all the liveries worn by a B737.  It's an interesting thought.  As I mentioned in the build thread, my next Britannia will be a BKS -100 but that's some time in the future.  The DC-6 is progressing (although I'm still doubtful about making the end of the GB) but once it's finished I'm going back to jets for a while!  

The display base arrived from Coastal Kits in the post yesterday morning which was what inspired me to take the photos.  It's rather nice and not too expensive although I think I'll have to do something about the prominent white edges.

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Nicely done! The NMF is very effective for this scale, and I really like the passenger windows. Are they decals or clear parts?

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, the windows are decals.  The cabin windows are very effective (G-AOVC is obviously parked in blazing sunshine judging by the number of closed curtains!)  I'm less impressed by the plain black cockpit windows.  Unfortunately the trend towards "photo real" window decals doesn't seem to have reached the Britannia as yet.  If it ever does I'll retrofit G-AOVC as I'm currently doing with all my A320 family models.

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2016 at 5:10 PM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

What a stunning result. I had never heard of Donaldson International before today...

Thanks for the kind comment.  

Donaldson International weren't around for long - founded in 1968 and collapsed in 1974.  Their main base was at Gatwick and their main charter customer was Mercury Air Holidays of Glasgow, hence the Scottish-themed livery and the secondary base at Glasgow Airport. At various times they operated four Britannias and either three or four Boeing 707s depending on which source you believe.