1:76 Alvis Stalwart S & M Models

Foghorn Leghorn

http://sandmmodels.co.uk/misc-news/breaking-news/

27th October 2016

S&M Models are delighted to announce what we believe to be the first ever full injection moulded kit of the Alvis Stalwart in any scale.  The kit will be in three issues.  A Mk.1 General Service Vehicle, a Mk.2 General Service Vehicle and a Mk.2 Royal Artillery Limber Vehicle. We hope the kit will be available before the end of 2016.

V.P.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that,

Must decide between 1/76 or 1/72.

Prefer a little bit the last.

But I'm sure there comes more, a Saracen is in the pipeline too.

Hope for the Saladin and Salamander

modelldoc

Edited by modelldoc

Amazing, you wait years for an injection moulded Stolly and 2 come along at the same time. I bet S&M aren't too chuffed ... you would have thought a small scale Stolly would have been a niche subject. But at least they're (just about) different scales.

35th is my preferred scale (injection moulded 35th to be more precise) but I'll happily downscale for this subject.

• 5 months later...

I checked the situation.

Yes, German Army tested (!!!) two Stalvart. 

But the camouflage is totaly wrong!

The Stalwarts are not camouflaged and not marked, the picture at Wikipedia show replicas from former BAOR Stalwarts.

modelldoc 

Nice to see they are modelling 09ER48 from 33 Squadron RCT I was the very first person to drive this Stalwart in 1968 at Bunde when it had zero mileage on the clock, I used it for 2 years until being transfered to 3 Squadron in Singapore.

Having recently purchased an S&M Stalwart, very dissapointed with the build, very basic and lots missing from the kit.....no suspension shock obsorbers on front wishbone, no winch ropes and decals not for a Mark 2 in service.........1 for a Mk1 and 2 with civvy regestrations..........I have built the all resin Accurate Armour Stalwart and the Firing Line(Dartmoor Models)..........both turn out well with lots of patience and hard work.

Nice to see ACE making something that resembles a mark 2  Stalwart

3 hours ago, modelldoc said:

I checked the situation.

The Stalwarts are not camouflaged and not marked, the picture at Wikipedia show replicas from former BAOR Stalwarts.

modelldoc 

Think of it as a whif then :speak_cool:

9 hours ago, rayprit said:

Having recently purchased an S&M Stalwart, very dissapointed with the build,

I caught a review somewhere on the web saying that the S&M kit was also too short, (that last phrase sounds very dodgy) so I'm holding out the for Ace kit

15 hours ago, modelldoc said:

I checked the situation.

modelldoc 

Beg to differ, the Bundeswehr scheme is correct, even though there were only 2 x vehicles Mark 2s  tested(one with Atlas crane - the other without.  The trials vehicles did get painted in RAL 6014 gelboliv and did have Y-license plates with a red "Y" and digits.  see here:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alvis+stalwart+bundeswehr&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFz7DsusfUAhVKIcAKHf4DDZQ4ChD8BQgGKAE&biw=1280&bih=918&dpr=1

A prototype vehicle PV14 was sent to Germany for evaluation.  It was registered Y-04222  and 2 x new Mk2 vehicles followed it.The German Army at first ordered 100 vehicles, but, in the event, none were delivered as the bundeswehr opted for the American replacement for the DUKW and LARC

• Like 1

Yes and no.

Bundeswehr vehicles in action (ISAF etc. have the iron cross, rhe tested Stalvarts had that never!

Okay, rhese two replicas exist, but for me it's not as choice to made one of these.

I prefer a BAOR version, hope for the other versions and (much more) for the Salamander.

modelldoc 

• 6 months later...

I have the S&M Stalwart 1, but moulded in only one Shade of Grey.

It does not scale out well, IMHO, and the cab front is flat whereas the area either side of the windscreen should have an angle in it.  I was quite enjoying the build until I noticed these inaccuracies.

Funnily enough, my first impression was that in many ways it resembled something JB might have released.

I have tried to obtain a resin Mk 2 from Matador, but for some reason they won't supply me; I ordered three times in a year, with my order growing with new releases, but my cheque was never cashed nor after that, my card charged.  Odd.  The last order broke £100.

Edited by Chillidragon

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2018 at 6:44 AM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

The ACE kit seems to be the better choice but, considering what i've seen on the interweb, the tyres look wrong in size and pattern. And tyres are a major part of the 'look' of the Stolly.

I have tried to build the s+m kit, but due to so many inaccuracies  I threw it in the bin, decided to see what ACE had to offer.  As ACE are modelling the Stalwart that I drove in BAOR from new and as he chose to using my photos of the Stalwart from the internet, I did expect it might be better than the S+M, but I am not impressed, we chatted for a week or two about the tyres to fit on the Stalwart, as per the photos I said, but he had a thing about the Saladin tyres, so, I left him to it...……...even the Saladin tyres he fitted to the kit are too thin ………….instead of buying his kit, I decided to go for a more accurate kit, I bought the KFS 1/24 Stalwart instead and its going together like a dream

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rayprit said:

we chatted for a week or two about the tyres to fit on the Stalwart, as per the photos I said, but he had a thing about the Saladin tyres, so, I left him to it...……...even the Saladin tyres he fitted to the kit are too thin

That's a shame, I was hoping I was wrong. What we need now is a set of replacement wheels but that would add a chunk of extra dosh on top of the kit price.

Ah well, it's back to eyeing my BW white metal kit. Every now and then I get it out, fondle it, come out in a cold sweat and then put it back in the drawer ...