Silvering issues on Astra Decals?

roym

Hi all, been putting a set of Astra Decals for Lakenheath F-15C on a Academy 1/72 kit. It's painted with Xtracolour gloss enamel with an additional coat or two of Klear (Future). So far I've only put on some tail markings and the 4 national insignia. Using both the Klear puddle method on some decals and the Japanese versions of Sol & Set (green and blue square bottles) on others I'm still getting severe silvering.

Are this brand just prone to it?

I have a spare set if I need them but to do an LN F-15C I'm not aware of any other manufacturer. 

I have experienced similar issues with Astra Decals - I have used a number of their 1/32 sheets (F-4s & the LAKEN HEATH F-15 Sheet). Some years ago I saw Andreas (owner of DACO productions - or something to do with them, sorry not sure!) answer this question by suggesting that you should use his DACO brand of decal setting solution (he does a very strong version) http://www.dacoproducts.com/ . Not having the Daco setting solution t hand when needed!!! I soaked to death my decals (I use microscale) to reduce the silvering effect. Where I still had some issues, then I'm afraid it is either the very sharp scalpel or fine hand brush to the rescue (which, if you are putting over coats of gloss & matt varnish on, pretty well hide the "repairs".

I agree that his brand does offer a range that is difficult to find elsewhere, for which I am genuinely grateful, but some of his stuff does not print in the correct FS range of colours - which becomes very noticeable on big subjects.(Greys & reds on his F-4 sheets)

Roy, I think we were once in contact before some years ago "swapping" USN decals  by mail - nice to hear from you again!

regards