Master Mi-24 Hind gun and pitot

ya-gabor

Here is a collection of new sets from Master. The innovative Polish manufacture is introducing a new collection of sets for the Mi-24 Hind kits in three scales. They have in the past made some fantastic rotary guns, like the Vulcan, which was a joy to build, but it was all made of turned brass barrels and photoetch parts. Some work, OK a bit more than that was required to build them, but the end result was fantastic!

Well what can one do with the tiny 12.7mm calibre four barrel gun of the Mi-24 Hind? Master introduced a superb 3D printed gun body together with the barrels. The centre piece with a big recoil spring around it is turned from brass. The build of this gun could not be simpler: insert the brass centre rod into the perfectly printed gun and all you have to do now is painting!

More here:

https://www.facebook.com/MASTERbarrels/

The 3D printing is fantastic capturing all the fine details of the real gun!

Just to step a bit further the pitot boom of the Mi-24 helicopters has also been replicated. Here two brass parts are combined with the angle of attack indicator DUAS vanes. They are once again reproduced in 3D printing and a soft resin is used so that the very delicate vanes don’t brake. The assembly is once again very simple, just push together the three parts and you can paint it.

The sets will be first available at the Telford show.

Best regards

Gabor

Master is producing them in 3 scales.

Believe me the Mi-24 gun is fairly small in real life let alone in 72nd scale! 

And, no one of the other scales is not 144th! :)  But of course you never know with Master, so . . . :)

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Very nice, desperately in need of a new tool 48th scale Hind to go with the middle scale!

AMK or Annetra hinted at one some time ago...

lets hope for the best!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

I think that's a jailable offence in some areas!

In most places the early Mi-24's are by now museum pieces. So there is no problem with that. Even where the Hinds are operational the officials are helpful in recording such "innocent" details! 

The Master team had a full access to the Hind to make measurements for this product. As always research of the original to make a master product! I believe this is the only way to do it!

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

This is serious business! :):):) 

I can only add this quote: “We understand jokes, only we don’t like them!”  But of course it losses a lot in translation . . .   :) 

Unfortunately what you were saying is not so much a joke and in some places the military don’t like people sniffing around their “toys” with cameras and measuring tapes. So . . .

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is what you get with the brand new Master product from Poland, the Mi-24 set. OK the original Mi-24 DUAS vane on the photo and the cut-away from the original gun is not included (it is part of my own collection) but what you get inside the package is a true replica of the real thing! It is produced in three scales (35th, 48th and 72nd to go with available kits) and believe me they all have the same amount of detail including the minute 72nd scale version! Just for practical reasons I am showing here only the biggest scale version but later will include some comparisons of the smaller scales too.

Mi-24%20Master%2035th%201_zpsbzwayyxd.jp

The set includes the YaKB 12.7 four barrel rotary gun and the pitot boom as well as the DUAS vanes on it. All this comes in the standard Master packaging but for the 3D printed parts there is a special protection inside a small foam box with a sticky bottom to it. This means that the parts are well protected and at the same time will not shake around inside the packaging. When you take it out of the packaging special care is needed. The parts are very small, extremely small so a lot of attention is required! To help us Master has produced the 3D printed parts from a soft kind of resin so they are not so brittle. Still you can manage to brake them if you “work at it hard”.  

Mi-24%20Master%2035th%202_zps5shk7sqw.jp

Mi-24%20Master%2035th%203_zpssrzcpkys.jp

Construction could not be simpler than this. There is no cutting, sanding, adjusting . . . OK there is a bit of cutting, you have to cut open the plastic bag which holds the turned brass parts. For the pitot you just insert the turned brass pitot front part in the 3D printed angle of attack vanes assembly and put this into the small hole on the front of the pitot boom. I used just a tiny drop of cyanoacrylate glue before attaching to the boom. That’s all.

Mi-24%20Master%2035th%204_zpsoh1q05ga.jp

The gun is even simpler, we get the 3D printed gun and to go with it the central axel with a spring around it from turned brass. For holding the gun a toothpick was sharpened or to be more precise it was cut down to a smaller diameter. Now this is easy for 35th scale gun but for the 72nd it was a bit challenging. Once again please note the 3D parts are very delicate, I used the tweezer to hold the gun only at its base, never touching the barrels. All parts were thoroughly washed before any painting was started and after that I did not touch the parts directly only the holders.

Mi-24%20Master%2035th%205_zps9iomjbp4.jp

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

A primer light grey was used as a base to be followed by a mid grey for the gun. In real life the gun is gloss black when brand new. During years of service the “burned on black paint” gives way and the true mid grey metallic grey of the steel comes to front. On the kit the mid grey was a base for future colours and washes.

Instead of painting the central spring the brass was simply chemically blackened and later weathered by rubbing it with a tissue. It brings out the very fine details perfectly. Only the front disk of the central part was painted light grey to reproduce the look of the original gun.

Mi-24%20Master%2035th%206_zps5kaihmmw.jp

The pitot boom is the same colour as the airframe of the helicopter. Everything forward of it is aluminium colour. The vanes on some Hinds have a yellowish tint to them so it was imitated but only lightly. In service the yellowish tint was lost fairly quickly.

Mi-24%20Master%2035th%207_zpsz8c1lpkx.jp

When first mention of the four barrel gun for the Mi-24 was made by Master I was looking forward to a long build with tiny brass parts and etched details, lots of instant glue, precise positioning and aligning of the barrels. . .  Well the 3D printed gun gets rid of all that extra work.  

Mi-24%20Master%2035th%208_zpspyybtuma.jp

Now I only need to build a Hind, so after all I do need to do some modelling work . . . So where is that Zvezda kit that I had? Or do I have to wait for Eduard to re-release the special limited edition Hind box. Well if I want to do a Mi-24 D, I will need it for sure. So till April next year I will have to wait for it.

Hopefully my test build samples in all three scales are going to be in Telford, so drop in to the Master stand in Hall 3 (Stand 3 Wall C4) and you can have a look at it and make up your own mind about this set.

Best regards

Gabor

That looks super fantastic!!! And I have a couple of Hinds that came together in a box so this will make a perfect addition!! :D

I now have a trusted agent who tomorrow will be scouring the traders area at Telford looking for one of these in 72nd! Maybe I should get my other Hinds and start construction?! <_<

Hi Flyboy 72nd

You will need a very steady hand for this, the 72nd version is incrediblly small!!! Take care when handling it! And fit it to the Hind only at the very last moment to avoid damage to it!

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks for the warning, I'm used to small bits, photo etch gets very small at times!! Don't know if you have seen some of the etch slat armour on the Modelcollect kits but you need steady hands & patience to complete those and I am 75% thru one tanks armour!!! I also usually leave the fiddly bits to the end so the big chunks of ham attached to ends of my arms don't knock them into the mouth of the dreaded carpet monster!!

If you are going to be at Telford have fun!

Unfortunately I will not be at Telford. :(  :( Hope next year it will be possible to visit it, but who know what will happen till then (Europeans will need to get a Visa to visit UK by that time???).  

I will not be there but hopefully my work will. On the Master stand they should have a test “build” of the Mi-24 guns / pitots in all three scales to look at.

The construction of Mi-24 gun could not be simpler, just insert the central brass part into the 3D printed gun body and that is it! So it is not a question of patience but more taking care with very delicate parts. But if I was able to do it then . . . :)  :) 

Fortunately Master designs his product so that it is possible to fit them at a late stage in construction, saving them from damage in the “workshop”.

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016. 11. 10. at 9:18 PM, Flyboy72nd said:

Thanks for the warning, I'm used to small bits, photo etch gets very small at times!! Don't know if you have seen some of the etch slat armour on the Modelcollect kits but you need steady hands & patience to complete those and I am 75% thru one tanks armour!!! I also usually leave the fiddly bits to the end so the big chunks of ham attached to ends of my arms don't knock them into the mouth of the dreaded carpet monster!!

If you are going to be at Telford have fun!

Hi Flyboy72nd,

Did you manage to get a set of these Mi-24 guns? Was your friend at Telford?

Best regards

Gabor

Not sure, giving my friend time to unwind & unpack from his trip. I'm sure he will send an e-mail soon but if not I will see him at our club meeting in a couple of weeks. Will let you know what I think of it if I have in my hands after the meeting.