Future Pocher Aventador Build, Review of Tommaso Iuele's 1.8 Transkit

Dr. Fiat

Since I was a kid, I have dreamed of building a Pocher kit, and I'm happy to say that I will be buying a blue Aventador Roadster very soon.  I have been doing a lot of reading on this site, and have been really impressed with the talent and generosity of this community- and since there have been so many to build these Aventadors here in this forum, I think this will be the best place for me to get the best advice and encouragement as I learn how to build these kits.  Please be patient with my noob questions!

I have just purchased the 1.8 Transkit from Tommaso Iuele in Italy- one of the last ones that he will be making for this model.  I haven't been able to locate any major reviews of this transkit, and the documentation of a build containing this transkit to completion does not appear anywhere that I can find.  I thought I would share some pictures of what comes in this impressive kit, and describe in general what's included.  I also obtained permission from Tommaso to use pictures from his manual- but his build photos can be found at [email protected].

The kit contains approximately 1,460 separate pieces, at a cost of about 500 USD.  It is a lot of money, but so very much worth it IMHO.  Below is a picture of what comes in the box:

Transkit 1

3 sheets of top-quality photoetch (PE) stuff, all necessary tiny nuts/bolts/fiddly bits to detail the engine to an incredible level, hoses, tubes, wires, hand-embroidered floormats, CNC machined parts such as shock absorbers, catalytic converters, etc., full carpeting, carbon decals, and a build DVD and full instruction manual.  Below are some other pictures of these items:

Transkit 9Transkit 8Transkit 7Transkit 6Transkit 5Transkit 2

The quality of the PE parts is exceptional, and very sturdy.  As Roymattblack pointed out in his build, the engine detail is one area that Pocher noticeably left out of an otherwise great kit.  I would estimate that 80% of this transkit involves detailing the engine and engine compartment; ALL hoses, coolant lines, wires, and other critical components are included, some of which must be scratch built.  Thank goodness Roy figured out how to easily remove the rear end of this car to display these details!

Right then, while I'm sitting around waiting on money to fall out of the sky and buy the car kit, there are a few things I can start making now with this transkit.  The Aventador has what is called a Secondary Air System, shown below:

Secondary Air System-Aventador

When the engine is cold, the catalyst in the converters is not hot enough to properly oxidize the hydrocarbon bits streaming out the exhaust- so this system injects air right at the header to compensate.  The arrangement on the model, shown in Tommaso's manual below, places each fan on opposite sides of the engine bay:

Transkit 3

The parts to make this system are included in one of the PE sheets, and I have started to construct one of the fans below:

Secondary Air FansSecondary Air Fan Complete

Further detailing will involve painting the motor itself flat black, and installing the wiring on the back.  I thought seriously about scratch building an actual fan blade to include in the each blower, not that anyone could see it, but I would know it was there :D.  There are also highly detailed pipes that connect these to the pressure regulators and the engine, replete with beautiful PE hose clamps and rubber joints.

Apologies for the length of this first post, but just wanted to share my excitement with the level of detail possible with this transkit- Mr. Iuele is a real genius.  I can only imagine that his future Huracan transkit will be even better.  Please ask any questions about this kit, or share your learnings if you have it but have not documented it yet!  I will be excited also to share my experience in this future build, and learn much more from my new friends on here!!

Thanks for listening!

Darin

• Like 3

That's an amazing stash of add-on material there!    Good luck to you on what seems to me a daunting task.

Glad you're finally able to realize a long-held ambition.

I'll be watching this one ... and thinking to myself "glad it's not me!"^_^

Frank

• Like 1

I am looking forward to this build. The transkit looks outstanding. You are going to have a blast building this one!

I built the orange coupe and it comes together nicely. I recommend picking up the Paul Koo DVD. I don't recall there being any huge problems with the kit but Paul does point out some of the wonky fit issues like the has plate and wheel wells. 

Rich

I've got it rjfk2002!  I've been assembling all the things needed for the build, and it looks like the kit will be the last expense.  I even have some real rubber tires coming.  I saw your build- fantastic!  It will help me greatly.

The "manual" provided by Tommaso is unusual...for those looking for a cookbook instruction manual, forget it!  His manual is very visual, and intuitive.  I actually love it.  It forces the modeler to come up with his own method to solve problems, and promotes creativity with scratch building.  I think it's genius.  Of course, I may be singing a different tune when I get into it....LOL.

Thanks!

Darin

• Like 1

Great, hope you'll get the car kit soon. Interested to see to what level of detail the kit and transkit together will get.

I'll be following you closely

• Like 1

On 10/26/2016 at 10:10 PM, albergman said:

That's an amazing stash of add-on material there!    Good luck to you on what seems to me a daunting task.

Glad you're finally able to realize a long-held ambition.

I'll be watching this one ... and thinking to myself "glad it's not me!"^_^

Frank

Thanks Frank!  If I don't go blind first, I should be able to complete this thing before I pass on to the other side :)

Darin

Thanks Pouln!

I decided to try to scratch build some little fans to include in the fan housings for the secondary air systems.  I had already assembled one fan unit using CA glue- I simply immersed it in acetone and the glue dissolved away.  I attempted to use thicker foil, but I think it is too malleable and distorts too easily.  But I quite like the look of it, so I'll come up with a better material for this.  I'm open to any and all ideas!  These fans are likely canister units that are designed to deliver airflow from a side outlet, not from the front of the fan, so I will likely need the fan blades to be 90 degrees to the face of the fan:

Fan2Fan 3Fan 4Fan 5Fan 6Fan 1

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Codger said:

Try supermarket pie tin plates. They're .005 thick, almost like firm tin foil.

Thanks Codger!  That's a great suggestion.  I may also try to make individual fan vanes using plastic, and painting the whole fan assembly white- as many blower fans in cars are made of white Nylon.  All this seems so obsessive, but I have time until I receive the car kit- and I have never documented a build before....so please bear with me!

Thanks

Darin

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dr. Fiat said:

Thanks Codger!  That's a great suggestion.  I may also try to make individual fan vanes using plastic, and painting the whole fan assembly white- as many blower fans in cars are made of white Nylon.  All this seems so obsessive, but I have time until I receive the car kit- and I have never documented a build before....so please bear with me!

Thanks

Darin

Sure, impossible to see but as the builder 'you know it's in there!'

I view a task like this as good training for tiny part fiddling and testing ways to cut, hold and adhere them. Just try to avoid the 'sub-atomic' level because that can seriously derail your time and even interest in your build.

• Like 1

I attempted to scratch-build two cartridge fans for the secondary air system, using 1.0 mm polypropylene sheet, and painted white.  The results are not bad, and mimic the Nylon fan blades found in most cartridge fans in automotive applications.  Next will be painting, wiring, and detailing the motor itself, and plumbing the fan outlets.  Thanks for watching!!

Darin

Cartridge Fan Scratch 1Cartridge Fan Scratch 3Cartridge Fan Scratch 4Cartridge Fan Scratch 2

• Like 1

You could make another try with aluminium foil for these fan vanes ... Just to see the difference....

Because nothing looks like real metal than real metal, and you vanes would be thinner...

• Like 1

Yes, I agree, and would be less messy with the ragged edges.  I haven't glued anything together yet- so far, I'm not really impressed with my sloppiness.....patience I must have!

Thanks Crank!

D.

19 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

You could make another try with aluminium foil for these fan vanes ... Just to see the difference....

Because nothing looks like real metal than real metal, and you vanes would be thinner...

I took your advice CrazyCrank, as well as Codger's- and used strips of foil pie tin as fan vanes.  I think it looks much better!  All suggestions are welcome! :)

Thanks!

Darin

Foil Fan 4Foil Fan 1Foil Fan 2Foil Fan 3

• Like 3

Looks excellent. The pie tin was definitely the way to go. Can already see that this will be a fun build to follow

Hope you get the stock kit soon. I suspect you will need to make a lot of adjustments to the pocher parts to get everything to fit. They left a lot details out, but there also wasn't a ton of room in the engine compartment as I recall.  It will give your ruler and calipers a great workout!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, larchiefeng said:

Nice little detailed part and a kit within a kit. I sure hope some of these little jewels are going to be visible when the engine is assembled in the car. 

Thanks!  If I can prepare the removable rear-end using the excellent instructions given by Roymattblack, then I think a good bit of this will be visible to the discerning viewer.  Things like these little fans might not be visible, but I'LL know and take pride in that...  

• Like 1

OK, I finished up one of these fans by adding some wiring for the motor, adding some PE simulated bolts, spraying the motor flat black, and finally adding a few 1.17 mm button-head cap screws to the fan housing- not a detail shown in the transkit instructions, but seemed reasonable to do.  I think I may be going blind already, and I haven't even started putting these on the engine heads yet :)

Painted Fan 1Painted Fan 2Painted Fan 3Painted Fan 4Painted Fan 5

• Like 2