Future Pocher Aventador Build, Review of Tommaso Iuele's 1.8 Transkit

Dr. Fiat

Question for those who have built the Aventador--  I was set on the blue Roadster, but I'm leaning now towards the white one.  The carpeting I have from the transkit is Sand color- what do you think about the white Roadster, with a sand interior?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Fiat said:

Question for those who have built the Aventador--  I was set on the blue Roadster, but I'm leaning now towards the white one.  The carpeting I have from the transkit is Sand color- what do you think about the white Roadster, with a sand interior?  

IMHO, at MY taste, it would be dull by lack of contrast...

12 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Definitely the blue roadster.

The problem is, it appears that the blue roadster may be getting harder to come by, at least at the price point I was seeing on Ebay (424.99 + 27 shipping).  The blue is now significantly more than the other colors.

As someone who is in the process of having to repaint an Aventador, I wouldn't recommend doing a repaint unless you absolutely had to. The paint is baked on and even though it would be easier than what I'm dealing with, it's going to be a lot of work. Certainly more than paying the difference to get a blue one. I see that, one guy wants over $700 for a blue one on eBay but, that's just one person. Wait until it gets closer to Christmas and, I would bet that, there will be a lot more on the market for less and if not, there's still the white one.

• Like 4

Well, over here in the UK, Pocher kits are almost half price in a few places...

I'm almost tempted to get a roadster myself even though I've already built the hard-lid version.

The black Avvy is LESS than 1/2 price!

http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/models/cars-bikes-trucks?search_query=&page=1&limit=24&sort=featured&brand=86&category=141&is_category_page=1&utm_source=ALL+MASTER&utm_campaign=e95dc78d6c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_20a5436e88-e95dc78d6c-123356821&mc_cid=e95dc78d6c&mc_eid=1620a3014e

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roymattblack said:

Well, over here in the UK, Pocher kits are almost half price in a few places...

I'm almost tempted to get a roadster myself even though I've already built the hard-lid version.

The black Avvy is LESS than 1/2 price!

http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/models/cars-bikes-trucks?search_query=&page=1&limit=24&sort=featured&brand=86&category=141&is_category_page=1&utm_source=ALL+MASTER&utm_campaign=e95dc78d6c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_20a5436e88-e95dc78d6c-123356821&mc_cid=e95dc78d6c&mc_eid=1620a3014e

Roy.

Roy- did you purchase the Tommaso Iuele transkit?  I notice that you were on his original email list- but it looks like you had already built your kit because of the extended wait.  If you do have transkit, maybe you could build a roadster alongside me, so that I can learn from one of the masters :)

Thanks

Darin

It's very kind of you to say that but even if I do get another Avvy, I won't touch it for at least a year - maybe two.

I'm in the midst of the Lister, and also two C Type's.

There's also 'possibly' a 1/8 scratch Mk 1 GT40 in the pipeline...

And - I really REALLY want to start my Pocher Mercedes 'boat tail, but just can't seem to fit it all in.

I'll keep watching here though as there's some great stuff going on.

Roy.

• Like 1

I'd really love to see the boat tail Roy. I have the 540K Special Roadster on my own list of next to build after I finish the Alfa I'm working on. Maybe, we'll be building the Mercedes conversions about the same time.

So Darin, have you given any more thought to which kit that you're going to get?

18 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

I'd really love to see the boat tail Roy. I have the 540K Special Roadster on my own list of next to build after I finish the Alfa I'm working on. Maybe, we'll be building the Mercedes conversions about the same time.

So Darin, have you given any more thought to which kit that you're going to get?

I'm going to hold out for the blue, larchiefeng.  Although I do love the white, and would like the silver-colored wheels on that one rather than the black.  But it looks as if the prices are lower in Europe than over here at the moment.  I have a few more RC items to sell on Ebay before I can get the kit.  In the meantime, I'll prep as much of this transkit as I can :)

OK, the Aventador has 8 oxygen sensors, 4 per side on the exhaust pipes of the V-12 engine.  Below is a diagram from the actual engine assembly manual, showing 4 of them:

Oxygen Sensor Layout Aventador

And  an actual picture of a factory sensor:

Aventador Oxygen Sensor

Note that they are primarily gold in color.  The transkit sensors are actually scale "spark plugs", from turned aluminum.  Shown below are the eight sensors, unpainted, as assembled in Tommaso's build pictures.  He did not paint them or connect them later into the wiring harness, that I could tell:

DSC07798

I decided to paint one-half of my sensors in gold, with the intent of scratch-making some wiring to connect them into the main wire harness.

Sensor 3Sensor 2Sensor 5Sensor 1

I just wanted to share some of the progress on the "fiddly bits", waiting impatiently on the actual car kit.

Darin

• Like 3

Back to the secondary air system- there are two in-line valves that contain a pressure transducer that must be prepared prior to the tubing installation.  These are some tricky little bits, as the "straps" that hold the valve are pretty stressed out when bent, and super glue has a tough time holding them.  I had to use a paper clamp to hold it while curing.  The transkit manual suggests decorating these with two black pieces of tape, but they are covered by the metal straps.

Valves 1

Valves 2Valves 3Valves 4Valves 5 complete

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Gents- apologies for the absence, but I have been waiting on some nuts and bolts from Autograph, and the shipping from Germany must be by horse :P

Anyway, as you know, I have a strong desire to make the white roadster, with silver wheels, but I have a sand interior carpet and floormats.  I think the white looks really good with these wheels- what do you think?

White Aventador Roadster with Silver Wheelslamborghini-aventador-roadster-white-30

What are your suggestions about how to do the interior?  I was thinking yellow for the calipers, and perhaps yellow or white threading on the seats....I'm still in a dilemma about the sand carpeting and mats.  Thanks guys!!!

Oh, and the white roadster is a full 100 USD cheaper than any of the other cars right now!

Thanks!

Darin

22 minutes ago, Codger said:

As a hater of the now-cliche black wheels, I say go for it Doctor.

Consider lipstick red leather with your tan floors...other wise black, which will make the trim neatly disappear.

Wow, I never considered red!  I can paint the center console tan, like the carpet, and the door trim too just like in the Blue version.  I was thinking of keeping the seats black, but painting the stitching white or tan.  I understand that the seats are made of vinyl, so painting them requires an appropriate paint that will stick.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not dead, I just have not purchased the Aventador kit yet- college tuition has taken priority for the moment! :)  I also am STILL waiting on some 0.8mm nuts and bolts from Autograph to arrive, it appears the first set were lost :(

I'm enjoying all of the great builds on here in the meantime, and am learning a great deal from the experts!!

Thanks!

Darin

Ahh hope that you will be able to get the roadster kit soon. Time is at your side (unless there are no more Avantador's for sale) as prices are dropping.

Dr. Fiat, that real world Roadster looks sick! Looking forward to driving such a beast later this year in Italy!

I just posted an update to my thread, you might want to check it out in case you missed it. I have silver rims by now:

On 11. Dezember 2016 at 2:05 AM, Codger said:

As a hater of the now-cliche black wheels, I say go for it Doctor.

Codger, I hate that cliche too. If you have a white car, everybody is like: on this one you need to get black rims.

I'm with my third white car and never had black rims.

Edited by Danny_G
  • Like 1

Hey Mark- the larger Phillips head screws that are used on the chassis and engine block are not given replacements in the transkit, unfortunately.  There are hundreds of tiny bolts and cap head screws to use on the valve covers, engine details, etc.  I am waiting on funds to get the car kit, and I cannot wait to install the transkit.  I will be going all-out on this one, and buying the real rubber tires too.

Thanks for the info.  That's a real shame.  I have the Aventador unstarted, and was thinking about buying this transkit.  However, it's the big cross-heads that really annoy me.  Going to have to do something about them when I eventually start the model.  

Hope you manage to get hold of your kit soon.  I'm going to watch your build with great interest.