Scratchbuild of a Lancia D50

17 hours ago, BeastieBoy73 said:

That is a magnificent model. It's early days for me with regards model building but I have my lates Grandfathers Cowells lathe gathering dust that I'd love to think could be used to build even just one part of a model like yours.

He built a 3.5" Gauge live steam train (same as the one below) using the lathe so I'm hoping some of his skills have rubbed off on me. So far, any skills that he may have passed on have remained very hidden...

BB73 ... glad you like my D50.    A lathe can open the door to scratchbuilding some nice parts so, have a go on some scrap materials.  Lots of good how-to videos out there.   I hadn't touched a lathe since high school (1951) but it's mostly common sense once you work out how the bits move!   A live steam model is an impressive piece of model engineering.    Raises the bar WAY above scratch building.   I have some idea of what it takes to build a locomotive having made a display model of one ... Flying Scotsman.   And now I've started another!  :o

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getting near the end now.    Final paint is on and I'm gradually getting it assembled.   This is where I find out that the exhaust pipes can't clear the rear suspension and all sorts of alignment issues.

Anyway, decided I have to make a couple of mirrors and I've chosen to do the hemispherical ones that sometimes were used instead of the rectangular ones.   Started turning them from a scrap aluminum handle.   This the "face" of the mirror with a small recess to take something reflective.

20170509_153025

Tapered it down ... and sawed it off.

20170509_153206

Turned it round and glued it with CA onto another rod

20170509_153312

then filed and polished it to shape.

20170509_154050

Drilled a .6 mm hole for the stalk ... trying a circle of this reflective material as a mirror.    Might look for something else.   Any suggestions?

20170509_160046

I wanted to make a  tiny plate to replicate the screw attachment so this was "filed" out of a thin sheet of tin using a Dremel cutting disk. ...

20170509_161459

Yes, it's tiny and still needs that "tab" filed off.

20170509_163737

Anyway, it fit onto the mirror stalk OK and the whole thing was then CA'd into a tiny hole

20170509_162050

Now the worst part ... I have to make another!!

20170509_170016

I see I'm still avoiding making that raised fresh air vent just ahead of the cockpit ... that's next.

Frank

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hendie said:

mirror film / foil on ebay. I just bought some to make the mirrors on my train build

Good idea there Hendie ... thanks.  Interesting stuff.    I only need 2 circles about 6mm diam. and I've got some thin metal sheets that will probably polish up satisfactorily.

BTW I've been lurking on your coach building site all along and am constantly staggered by your attention to detail.   Nothing ever seems to be too small or too insignificant to you.   Marvelous work mate.

Frank

• Like 1

OK folks ... I've deemed this one done and taken my "show pics" and they're now up on the Finished Builds here.

Thanks very much to those who followed me on this one.   Had lovely comments and received good suggestions along the way and it sure makes the effort all the more enjoyable.

So, the bench is cleared and I just might be picking up my Gresley A4 steam locomotive again.

See you there.

Frank

• Like 1