Quisque Tenax - 99 Sqn Wellington 1c

101e7ec01b.jpg

Quisque Tenax - Each Tenacious   

In between working on my mammoth Alberts build, I was asked by a RAFA friend if I would build a Wellington representing that flown by his uncle with 99 Sqn during the summer of 1940, although I must confess to being no expert on Bomber Command aircraft (unlike Melchie or Woody).

At that time 99 Sqn (who were the first to operate the Wellington) were parented by RAF Mildenhall but had moved to RAF Newmarket Heath during the previous September; the 'Rowley Mile' at Newmarket being the longest grass strip in the country and the only place from which a fully loaded Wellington could operate. The Sqn would move to the newly established RAF Waterbeach in Mar 1941.

Plt Off P S Willatt was posted in to 99 Sqn (detached from 214 Sqn at RAF Stradishall) wef 8 Mar 1940. He remained with 99 Sqn until 6 Sep 1940 when he was posted to be an instructor on 15 OTU at RAF Harwell (taking his aircraft with him). During his time on 99 Sqn Plt Off Willatt took part in the first bombing raid to Berlin during the night of 25/26 Aug 1940. The aircraft stayed with 15 OTU before being lost in Jun 1941 during a transit flight from Luqa to Egypt.

My friend had some photo's of his uncle's aircraft so we knew it was coded LN - V but it took some digging around in the 99 Sqn ORB to discover that its serial was P9277. I've modelled her as per the first Berlin raid, the bomb load carried being 7x 250 lb plus one SBC containing 60x 4 lb incendiaries  (although upon reaching the target and finding it obscured by 10/10ths cloud, the crew brought the bombs home save for the incendiaries which they jettisoned into the North Sea). At some stage I will add a Fordson tractor and the bomb trolleys.

The model is the Trumpeter, which I am told is the most accurate available, built almost OOB save for the Eduard flight deck etch (which, strangely enough came with the kit) as well as Quickboost gun barrels. Additionally I scratch built the turret interiors as well as the open bomb bay doors (all 30 of them!). It will be on the Bomber Command SIG table at Telford.

0f85ca369d.jpg

0f865c9d40.jpg

0f86cb7d3e.jpg

0f87375a19.jpg

0f87be58cd.jpg

0f88197138.jpg

0f889a6ba8.jpg

0f893e30ac.jpg

0f89ae83b3.jpg

0f8a410274.jpg

• Like 56

That's very nice indeed. I have one in the stash (it's under a load of Spitfires, waiting for when I have some room to assemble and display it), when I get round to assembling it, I'd be very happy if it turned out as good as yours.

• Like 1

Great "Wimpy" Debs and a nice background story to go with it :goodjob:

"Snoopy" is looking good !

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

For the wavy demarcation between the lower and upper cam on the fuselage I bought a pair of 'pinking shears' from my local needlework shop and cut Tamiya tape to suit.

What a brilliant idea! I'm sure the missus won't me borrowing hers...!! :whistle:

Cracking Wimpy Debs, lovely paint & weathering! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 1

Now we know what she's up to when we think she's parked her mojo down the back of the sofa...

Debs this is a very lovely build of a fine old warhorse

Poor ol' Snoopy looks a tad dejected sat over there, hope he's next in line...  ;)

• Like 1