BAe Hawk T.1A "Red Arrows" 1/32 Revell

Here is my "Red Arrows`" Hawk in 1/32 scale. Built with Revell 04284 kit, Eduard`s interior PE parts, Master`s Pitot tube and some "scratch" work (mainly flaps).

I thought it will be easy and relaxing work, but it wasn`t. I don`t expect miracles from 1/32 kit which costs about 20 GBP, but Revell`s Hawk has some annoying errors and too many simplifications as for 1/32, not so old (2010) model kit. First of all it`s designed to show in flight position (it has movable ailerons and rudder with retracted flaps, while on ground flaps should be extended with ailerons and rudder in neutral position!). Something`s wrong with elevator position either. There are not any rivets, also a lack of plates under elevator`s mounting positions is visible. Details in cockpit are not so bad, but seat belts from decals are not very good idea - that`s why I used Eduard`s PE sets.

The worst thing in this kit is... red plastic!!! It`s really hard to work with it and the moldings are not very good quality because of it! I think that later edition (04849) with grey plasic would be a better option if you would like to build a Revell`s 1/32 Hawk.

Main colors are painted with Xtracolor enamels (oh, what a long drying time!), covered with Microscale Gloss and polished with Tamiya polishing compound. Decals in the kit are of good quality, but the white elements are little transparent, so I`ve overpainted them with white acrylic.

Summarizing - it takes a little work and patience to make a good 1/32 Hawk from Revell`s kit, but once you`ll finish it - it looks great on the shelf! At least from the distance... ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by alex_stela
new links to photos
  • Like 36

That is the best build of this kit I have ever had the pleasure of seeing anywhere,having seen the real thing close up that finish is 100% spot on red

is always a tricky colour add to that the gloss sheen you really have nailed it,beautiful!

• Like 1

Lovely job on your Hawk the red paint has certainly came out really nice, I have the Revell 1/32 Hawk T1 ( standard black jet boxing ) in the stash and want to do it as a display jet (2009 ) but I think I will get the PE set for it after seeing yours :goodjob:

Guy

She's a beauty, looks like you've shrunk the real thing.

I'm making sporadic progress with mine, that red plastic is a pain. It  won't be in a Reds scheme, possibly a Hawk from RAF Valley.

Pete

Thank you, guys!

steve4563: MDC is made of copper wire and etched to canopy with Microscale`s Micro Metal Foil Adhesive. Revell provided MDC as decals, but it spoils transparency of canopy too much. I`ve used decals as templates.