RAN Sea Venom FAW.53

abat

1 hour ago, abat said:

Much of my time involves sanding, filling and re-sanding the fuselage and tidying up the control surfaces.

It's deja-vu all over again! :D You're smartening that up very nicely abat; the new canopy will help no end.

Tony

• Like 1

I love all the Sea Venom affection on this forum lately! All well and proper, as it should be.     :)

Looks like a great start to the old Frogger, I'm anxious to see how you progress. And Martian, when will we see the 1:32 WIP? I have a secret to tell - back in the 80s I built the big Matchbox beastie, but I was so disappointed in my workmanship that I binned it after a fashion to make room for more models on the shelf. Dumb, dumb, dumb. If you don't like it, put it in a box for 40 years or so, then strip the paint off and do it right. But don't feed the bin. I was so stupid (then). 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

5 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Would that be the one they release following their successful 1:48 Scimitar? :analintruder:

Yes, I live in false hope perhaps. They do have a new tool 1/48 Sea Fury coming ... so I expect anything's possible. Bit of a FAA theme perhaps. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

It's deja-vu all over again! :D You're smartening that up very nicely abat; the new canopy will help no end.

Tony

Thanks Tony. The plastic is very soft so I do wonder if there will be much left when I'm done. Andrew

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It looks a whole lot better for the clean up and re-scribe.

Martian

Thanks for that. Never done a sand and rescribe before but it was less traumatic than I expected. Now to get all the little bits back on that I scrubbed off. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I love all the Sea Venom affection on this forum lately! All well and proper, as it should be.     :)

Looks like a great start to the old Frogger, I'm anxious to see how you progress. And Martian, when will we see the 1:32 WIP? I have a secret to tell - back in the 80s I built the big Matchbox beastie, but I was so disappointed in my workmanship that I binned it after a fashion to make room for more models on the shelf. Dumb, dumb, dumb. If you don't like it, put it in a box for 40 years or so, then strip the paint off and do it right. But don't feed the bin. I was so stupid (then). 

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I'm a little anxious too. Just wanna get the wings on and and a bit of paint. Now, regards that 1/32 kit you binned ... there's really only one way to resolve that deep-seated regret. I expect we've never seen three 1/32 Sea venoms being built concurrently on the forum. That would be a wonderful sight. 

Andrew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NAVY870 said:

Correct.

Joined us in the cheap seats have you Steve? Not to worry, your reply was not entirely unexpected.

Martian

For those that enjoy a twilight zone moment

The voltage regulators and main circuit breakers plus a few other components from WZ.906, the subject aircraft of Andrews kit

were today installed into WZ.897 the subject of my own build thread.

PS they were soddin heavy!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Does this mean you can soon have the radio on to whistle along with Workers' Playtime whilst you're busy in the cockpit...? :whistle:

Tony

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

For those that enjoy a twilight zone moment

The voltage regulators and main circuit breakers plus a few other components from WZ.906, the subject aircraft of Andrews kit

were today installed into WZ.897 the subject of my own build thread.

Well done!

Here's the current state of play with all the major parts filled, sanded and stuck together waiting to dry.

IMG_0100-D.jpg

I imagine there's still a bit more sanding to go, especially around the join for the booms. I've scribed a few panels on the fuselage as well - the engine bay and forward access panels which are quite distinctive. 

Ive also had a good go at the rockets that were a nightmare of sinkholes. 

IMG_0101-L.jpg

So some slow progress ...

• Like 3

I re-discovered this one in my bookcase the other day. Silly me, trawling the internet for Aussie Sea Venom information for the build when a gold mine existed right under my nose. Includes some good reading on general Venom/vampire history followed by some detailed chapters on the Aussie Sea Venoms themselves with diagrams aplenty and lots of photo credits from a certain Navy870.

2016111606013752-FullSizeRender-L.jpg

• Like 4

It is looking very respectable now. The reference you have is indeed an excellent one as are the others in this series, Sadly though the books from this series fetch stupid prices these days.

Martian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

That book looks the business, as does the state of play on your cutting mat abat. Your masking off of the cockpit interior is most smart - how do you get yours so neat? :D

Tony

Thanks Tony, secret is I still haven't installed the cockpit (well apart from the floor). It's made to slip in once the major work is done. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

It is looking very respectable now. The reference you have is indeed an excellent one as are the others in this series, Sadly though the books from this series fetch stupid prices these days.

Martian

Yes, I googled the Skyhawk, Phantom and F-18 companion and one seller had $80 in it! I picked up my Venom copy for more like $25 in an museum shop - probably been on the shelf since the 80's. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rholland said:

Notice any familiar name in the list of authors/photographers for the Sea Venom section of the book? :)

Richard in NZ

Oh yes, our very own Steve. Now with the book and our expert forum contributors, what else could a Venom modeller ever need!

On 16/11/2016 at 5:21 AM, abat said:

I re-discovered this one in my bookcase the other day. Silly me, trawling the internet for Aussie Sea Venom information for the build when a gold mine existed right under my nose. Includes some good reading on general Venom/vampire history followed by some detailed chapters on the Aussie Sea Venoms themselves with diagrams aplenty and lots of photo credits from a certain Navy870.

2016111606013752-FullSizeRender-L.jpg

Following along quietly ;) 

I have one of these Venoms as a very, very slow burning project.

It's been amazing these last few months to see how they can be transformed.

It will be some time before I can start to do anything more on mine. Perhaps the main way it will differ from this and Tony's (TheBaron) build is that it will use the Tasman detail set. The more I look at the latter, and at cockpit photos and assemblies, the more I think it is a good value for money, and fairly accurate little set.

Another way mine will differ is that it will be nowhere near as good as this :D !

Great to watch this step by step. I just ordered the above from Abebooks. There are 3 or so still listed here in Oz for around £25 :) .

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, just take it slowly and expect the first few weeks to revolve around filling and sanding. It'll all work out fine. The venom, fury and firefly book is great. I just picked up a phantom, hornet and Skyhawk volume, primarily for the latter from the same museum in Victoria that I got the original. 

Andrew

• Like 1