1/72 Basler AC-47T Fantasma

Supertom

So while I'm still working on the MiG-29s (one can only build the same thing over and over so many times, despite variations in build and markings), I decided to take a short break to keep from burning out (plus I ran out of Alclad primer, so I can't do burner cans for the time being). I've been obsessed with Colombia's wicked-looking AC-47T Fantasma, a turboprop conversion of the AC-47 by Basler.

I mean, look at it. It just looks so sinister:

kPRmF61hCsO7fXQg7LmGFxBVmXrAaB5J797SeNql

(Photo credit: dc3dakotahunter.com)

So anyway, I saw an article about it on Combat Aircraft magazine, looked it, up, wondered if there was a conversion of it, and lo and behold, AlleyCat was just about to release one for the new Airfix kit! So I saved up my pennies and ordered one as soon as they became available. A few weeks later, it showed up on my doorstep and I was pumped!

To do the conversion, I picked up A08015, which I had to make sure would work. Alleycat says that while it is designed for the Airfix kit, this conversion could be used on the Esci or older Airfix kits, though adapting the engines might be a challenge since it was designed with the new kit's engineering in mind:

sRCaKL-WdcnnAuwrTgHsDIa4R1ONWX5BtCeFzT2E

I wish I had put up pictures of the parts. I washed them and laid them out nicely, but I forgot to take a photo. The first cut is to separate the front cabin floor from the kit floor:

_zabrR1DRvtJn9lvZt3cDTdH7DDpdCt_fLc1BPaW

Unfortunately, AlleyCat's instructions were a little vague on how to put the kit together. Hopefully, this writeup will come in handy for other people wanting to do this conversion. The first question I had was whether to remove the bottom part of the molding stub, as marked below. The initial pour stub had been cut off, but after fiddling about with it, I wasn't sure if was necessary to remove it. It wasn't fitting right, and it wasn't until I discovered later that it was because the replacement front cabin floor was deliberately made significantly longer (over 1cm) to allow for adjustment. The pour stub for the forward fuselage was also interfering with the fit. I asked AlleyCat on Facebook and they advised that it was not necessary to remove the stub, but I ended up removing it anyway as my piece was slightly warped, and the thickness of the part made it difficult to reshape in hot water. Removing the stub also made it easier to attach to the kit floor, as I glued some strip styrene at the bottom to reinforce the join.

oCQxCQMgWhnIX6KmqkpPzdTvAxxebfqUPBxJsoXS

Edited by Supertom
  • Like 4

The first cut to be made on the cabin floor is just behind the slot where you insert the bulkhead, though I would recommend you cut just ahead of it, so that you'll still have the slots to stick the bulkhead tabs to (otherwise you'll have to butt-join the floor). The disadvantage to cutting ahead of the slots is that you'll need to factor in that length when you cut the replacement floor; as mentioned earlier, it was deliberately longer for adjustment. In my case, since I cut the slot off, the cut line would be approximately where the first notch is located on the floor piece, as illustrated below (as always, measure twice, cut once).

v72B5oQw2UIhEPeTF4qL7y3xmheBJpLL9u-PAM15

Next comes cutting the front of the fuselage off for the replacement front end. With Basler conversions, the fuselage was extended about 1.2m. I heard that this was done in order to offset the center of gravity, what with the new engines and all, though I believe that the new OBOGS system is under the floor where the new extension is located at. Either way, I was sad about making the cut because the fuselage truly is a work of art, Airfix did a beautiful job on it. (EDIT: I emailed Basler for clarification on the extension, and they kindly confirmed that both are correct).

eEnqJJPDRVJ8M2W1T7rUkbOOd5DbGq13GqBACcZ1

Dymo tape is pretty handy for this, as well as a fine sawblade, of course. The cut is that vertical panel line just forward of the wing root.

IMG_8237_zpsqwmsidhe.jpg

Ten careful minutes later, and the cuts are done.

IMG_8238_zpsf3joatob.jpg

Edited by Supertom
Added notes from query to Basler
  • Like 1

Opened up an extra window for the 20mm cannon. Airfix anticipated the possibility of opening up that extra window (not sure why though), but fortunately for the modeller, that means that the shape has conveniently been set up for cutting. A few minutes with a dremel, #11 blade, and some sanding sticks, and that new window is open.

xh6CXBaRwuKHM2C1fHJnfdBAU4lsryUTAfI0HAQH

Here you see the forward fuselage. I've already removed the casting stub, and then removing the "flashed over" resin windows. As a testament to the quality of the castings, the flash was really thin and easy to remove. 10 minutes later, it was done.

dXs4ARe0K2OZskVwXDXZrjMXLLKexwl17BDFjHRB

And here's a comparison of the two forward fuselages. Note the absense of the navigation dome and pointier nose. 

IMG_8242_zps9uqqbhyq.jpg

And here is where I leave off. Construction of the interior has begun in earnest. Test fitting indicates that the first firewall (right behind the cockpit) will drop into the new one-cast forward fuselage piece, but the second one will be a challenge.I'll have to think this over as this is where the FLIR console is located and I intend to scratchbuild that bit

IMG_8241_zps4ebgc0tb.jpg

Edited by Supertom
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Most of your pictures don't seem to be showing?

Martian

That's odd....I'll check again in the morning.

Ditto the no pics showing comment... shame, but I'm sure they will be back. I also have the kit and conversion... bought it at last years SMW. Really can't wait to build it, but it has to wait.

50 minutes ago, Radleigh said:

Ditto the no pics showing comment... shame, but I'm sure they will be back. I also have the kit and conversion... bought it at last years SMW. Really can't wait to build it, but it has to wait.

Still?! I redid the images and they seemed to work. I viewed it from another device as a test.

Edited by Supertom

56 minutes ago, snapper_city said:

Still picture issues. It's the last pictures of every post.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you having issues viewing the images, are you using mobile devices? And if so, if you reload the page, are they showing up now?

I'm on my tablet.  Yes I can see them now all apart from the last two pictures of you chopping the nose. (Curse the new forum for not having post numbers now). Tomorrow I will get a picture of all the Alley cat components for you. Also the metal barrel on my 20mm is slightly off being straight. I'm going to have to straighten it somehow. It's held in well and don't want to break it. Not sure how to tackle this at the moment. 

Edited by snapper_city

I don't get it. All of a sudden Google Photos is randomly deciding to break the image links. This is infuriating. I noticed that the pictures that weren't showing up were ones that were differently sized, because the image link generated automatically sizes stuff based on the size of the window. Anything that was wider than the first image was automatically broken. I redid the links and manually changed the URL to reflect the standard sizes but apparently it didn't work on the last two, so that might not be it. Incidentally this appears to work only on Chrome. I thought it might have to do with image privacy or sharing, but the pics are all in the same album.

Edited by Supertom

I was just thinking the other day of getting the Alley Cat set, because I am also a bit "troubled" by the Fantasma :)

The 'bit pricey Airfix kit (subjective, momentary opinion of mine, I know) has stopped me so far, but seeing your work (as soon as you figure out the pictures issue* :D ) might change my mind.

Cheers,

Niki

I too don't see all the pics, and I'm on my laptop. All are OK up until your post of Tuesday, when only the first 2 show. Same for your second post on Tuesday.  I don't see any of the pics from yesterday's post.

Ian