Subaru Impreza WRC2000

I might have eben rather abcent from the forum for a while but it doesn't mean i've not been busy. I've completed a multitude of models since but i'm particuly proud of this one.

Ok so whilst at a show I came across a kit i'd not built since i was a kid and it was really cheap. So it would've been rude not to wouldn't it.

30454223161_40cdb9b4bc_c.jpg

30454222281_d70b423ee9_c.jpg

29908491783_297ed0fcb2_c.jpg

30505533096_a6cb03b0c3_c.jpg

And on the shelf next to the WRC98

30505532566_dbb580b545_c.jpg

30454219571_8f2eb600bf_c.jpg

Ok so if you weren't fooled, or if you were? This is the Heller 1/43 scale kit. I picked up the Airfix boxing of 6 rally cars for £8 at a show the other month as i remember having this exact set when i was a kid. And i'm rather pleased how it turned out. I had to fill a short shot infront of the roof scoop and had infuriating rage over the god aweful decals but i managed to succeed with it. The ariels are a Leicester Modellers trade secret. Though i'm sure people will have heard of the technique before. If you know it mwahahaha.

And here's some choice in progress shots.

29911266304_11fef1627f_c.jpg

30243539440_11780d61f3_c.jpg

29911263744_995024791b_c.jpg

Comments, Critiques etc welcome.

TTFN Ashley.

• Like 5

Hi Ashley,

I too had this a couple of times as a kid, I think as a set with a Poogot and something else? Lovely job on this I thought it was 1/24 until I read otherwise :) I also had the Focus and Mitsubishi rally cars in 1/24, I'd like to pick up a Heller Jag XJ-S at some point, I remember it being pretty good. get the others built and posted, makes a nice change to see some 1/43 scale kit!

Cheers,

Andy. 

• Like 1

Thanks Andy.

There are a few set for sale on eBay. Though a couple of prices are a bit on the high side. I recommend venturing to model shows and seeing what you can pick up. I've collected a few 1/43 kits since this set. Noticeably rare yet the price was always cheap lol.

At the last show I went to I saw the Heller Jag you mention and the only reason I didn't pick it up is that I didn't have any money lol. And the one on Ebay atm is double the price I saw it for haha.

I will defo get the others built up at some point and I'll be sure to post them up as I agree. 1/24 is too samey haha.

Ashley 

Great work, especially impressive in that small size. Good to see an Impreza finished, I am working on Burns' 2001 WRC in 1/24. It is the Tamiya Curbside model, I am trying the first time to scratch something as I want to go full detail.

Do you have, by any chance, some in-depth reference pictures I might not have found yet? I find it quite hard to find detail pictures of the WRCs via google as there are so many look-a-like street cars. (I have found some of the real cars, though.) Also, I am looking for detailed information on the technical differences of the 2001 and 2002 WRCs. I can tell them apart from the outside but don't know about what changed. It seems to be a pretty tough period for Impreza builders since there's the transition ongoing from the 99/2000 car to the 2002 car. Of course I am willing to share my findings. Will post them in my own Imprezas thread anyway when I finally open one up.

Jan

• Like 1

Thought that was an odd version (rally argentina P2000 )

of a plastic kit WRC Impreza then realised the smaller scale !! 

Years ago i built Hellers 205 T16 , Delta S4 and Paris Dakar 205 's and 405 's in 1:43 scale . It made a change from 1:24 .Think they ll be in the loft stash !!

Didnt the P2000 WRC Impreza have a clear advantage over the competition ? Seem to remember it being closely guarded from rivals at service areas .

Gary .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Great work, especially impressive in that small size. Good to see an Impreza finished, I am working on Burns' 2001 WRC in 1/24. It is the Tamiya Curbside model, I am trying the first time to scratch something as I want to go full detail.

Do you have, by any chance, some in-depth reference pictures I might not have found yet? I find it quite hard to find detail pictures of the WRCs via google as there are so many look-a-like street cars. (I have found some of the real cars, though.) Also, I am looking for detailed information on the technical differences of the 2001 and 2002 WRCs. I can tell them apart from the outside but don't know about what changed. It seems to be a pretty tough period for Impreza builders since there's the transition ongoing from the 99/2000 car to the 2002 car. Of course I am willing to share my findings. Will post them in my own Imprezas thread anyway when I finally open one up.

Jan

Hi Jan. I'm not certain on reference material for the cars after 2000. I have the Klein Rally Cars book but that only goes up to the WRC2000. So in some ways helps as the 2001 was a body update of the 2000 chassis I believe. I also have the Rally Giants book by Graham Robson which isn't great for reference pics, but the info is a good guide. I also have the Rally Yearbooks for the early 2000's and they do have some great pics. You can pick them up used on Amazon for £0.01 plus postage. At least that's how I got them and they're just as good as the more expensive Holmes and Klein annuals in my opinion.

Hope that helps and I'll be sure to check out your thread when you start it :) 

34 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Thought that was an odd version (rally argentina P2000 )

of a plastic kit WRC Impreza then realised the smaller scale !! 

Years ago i built Hellers 205 T16 , Delta S4 and Paris Dakar 205 's and 405 's in 1:43 scale . It made a change from 1:24 .Think they ll be in the loft stash !!

Didnt the P2000 WRC Impreza have a clear advantage over the competition ? Seem to remember it being closely guarded from rivals at service areas .

Gary .

I have all those Heller kits you mention. Including the ZX Rally Raid too ;) Recently I've brought a few new ones to replace or add to the one's I have built. Just last week I stripped my old dodgy paint job on the Esso Delta S4, luckily I never applied the decals so its all good to go when I get round to it lol. The normal 205 and S4 are very rare now. Wasn't a couple years back when I got mine lol.

This kit is a bit weird as yes its the Rally Argentina but the wheels are sort of a mix between the tarmac and gravel designs used back then. Obviously the solid plastic 'tyres' are slick so are wrong even if it was for a tarmac event, but these are nice little kits and a quick destraction from the 1/24 norm.

• Like 2

Thank you, Ashley!

The Klein Book should be in my fathers bookshelf. That is his favourite photographer.

He also owns the Rallycourse yearbooks (Hazleton Publishing) which I already searched through. Some fine pics in there, but no specific information and pictures for technical details.

That Robson book looks like a real treasure. Pretty expensive on amazon.de and abebooks.com, maybe I have to buy the ebook.
 I am not sure about the developments. The 2001 car was 4-door, 2000 was 2-door. If I remember correctly they transplanted all the tech from the 2000 car and placed in in the 4-door chassis for 2001. For 2002 they took basically the 2001 car and updated its internals race by race.

Klein was a good tip by the way. The McKlein publishing website offers a fully searchable picture archive. I had totally forgotten about that. Found some preview pics of 2001 Imprezas. Did you know the roof was white on the inside? And a good view into the engine bay as well. May have to buy these photos, if I can afford it.

Jan

19 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Thank you, Ashley!

The Klein Book should be in my fathers bookshelf. That is his favourite photographer.

He also owns the Rallycourse yearbooks (Hazleton Publishing) which I already searched through. Some fine pics in there, but no specific information and pictures for technical details.

That Robson book looks like a real treasure. Pretty expensive on amazon.de and abebooks.com, maybe I have to buy the ebook.
 I am not sure about the developments. The 2001 car was 4-door, 2000 was 2-door. If I remember correctly they transplanted all the tech from the 2000 car and placed in in the 4-door chassis for 2001. For 2002 they took basically the 2001 car and updated its internals race by race.

Klein was a good tip by the way. The McKlein publishing website offers a fully searchable picture archive. I had totally forgotten about that. Found some preview pics of 2001 Imprezas. Did you know the roof was white on the inside? And a good view into the engine bay as well. May have to buy these photos, if I can afford it.

Jan

Don't pay more than the retail for the Rally Giants books. Whilst good to have they are only small thin books and sacrifice picture volume for info.

I've dug my Impreza one out and it only goes up to the end of 2005. Interestingly the 2000 car is called the WRC200. Weird!? lol. And wasn't used til the Rally Portugal of that year.

For 2001 all of the technilogy was carried over from the WRC200 into the new bodyshell. So basically a rebody. The rollcage is very similar to the 2000 car. Which is a headache for anyone wanting to build an accurate 1/24 using the Reji transkit and the '98 or '99 Tamiya kits.

Throughout the 2001 season the engine and engine bay air flow was under continous development, and the car was actually under weight and had to be balasted up to meet the required miniumum wight figure. The 2001 car was carried over into the 2002 season and wasn't replaced untill Corisca in March. The only differences to the 2002 was a Lighter and Stronger engine flywheel, a revised Exhuast Manifold, Changes to the Water injection system, a Larger front splitter and improvements to the cockpit ventilation which did away with the roof vent. No other changes where made to the car during the season as the team focused on developing the 2003 car.

Hope that helps mate.

Ashley

• Like 3