1/72nd Airfix Whitley Mk V BOAC

Thanks Chris appreciate that...

Darby..I'm not altogether sure it could even lift Dougie's not insubstantial cellaret and even if it could it would barely stagger to 50 feet into the air under full power...the strain would be altogether too much for the old gal and she would implode..

Meatbox, thanks and yes they did use these old barges on this run, some early ones involved 'ball bearing' runs between Leuchars and Bromma airport, Stockholm though not for long, (9th August - 24th October, 1942) as it was just too hazardous under winter conditions...

13 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Chris appreciate that...

Darby..I'm not altogether sure it could even lift Dougie's not insubstantial cellaret and even if it could it would barely stagger to 50 feet into the air under full power...the strain would be altogether too much for the old gal and she would implode..

Meatbox, thanks and yes they did use these old barges on this run, some early ones involved 'ball bearing' runs between Leuchars and Bromma airport, Stockholm though not for long, (9th August - 24th October, 1942) as it was just too hazardous under winter conditions...

Crikey, and I was being facetious about the use of a Whitley on this run.  Those crews had some guts, that's for sure.  Even the Mossies couldn't do that run with impunity, if memory serves me right. 

• Like 1

Those crews had some guts, that's for sure.  Even the Mossies couldn't do that run with impunity

Very true, these guys literally had ball-bearings of steel. I'm sure Nils book goes much deeper into the subject but this page from the PPRuNe site makes for interesting reading, 

BOAC and the Stockholm run...

Edited by general melchett

Thanks guys,

Bernd I'm sure it will, look forward to seeing it..

Bill, 

is that a navigational aid in the cockpit, or a picnic blanket?   :)

Ha, both.....it doubles up as a particularly garish area map of downtown Aachen-by-the-sea and a luminous comfort blanket for those long chilly night rides into the wee hours, (night fighter pilots love 'em), Darling's misdirected idea of a touch of the 'home comforts' I'm afraid.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2016 at 10:58 PM, general melchett said:

Thanks guys, I'ts heartening to see modellers that like something a bit different. I think it was pretty adventurous of Airfix to field this version as there were relatively few converted and they didn't last very long in service, just four months in fact.....

Just hope it inspires them to do a few more in the same vein.........an AW Ensign would be nice :coolio:

I'd probably be up for one of those myself.  I don't know how likely that would be - more so maybe than an Atalanta or Argosy.  I wouldn't mind seeing a new HP42 indeed, though I'd be happy with a re-release of the old 1/144 offering with a current standard transfer sheet.

• Like 1

A new HP.42 would definitely find it's way here as would an Atalanta,  Argosy or later Tudor I.... AIM's new DH-91 is another one that fits the BOAC wartime theme nicely too. Who knows with the myriad new releases pouring from companies right now we still might see some of these magnificent (and in some cases not so magnificent) flying machines making their way onto our work benches.