OO Gauge Airfix City Of Truro as a Bird Class, Jackdaw

Hi All

I have been doing this one for a few years on and off, I bought it at Folkestone Model Railway exhibition for a very reasonable price and it came with the old Airfix Kit and Branchlines complete motorising kit, wheels chassis motor and gearbox, I bought the Super detailing kit from Branchlines who offer a great friendly service and very quick delivery.  Now I am not a GWR modeller, I do have several of their locos however, I am a Southern Fan and I bought this to test out my Kitbuilding skills on Locos.  Since getting this I have an Wainright H Class (southeast finecast) and aBillington D3 (chivers Fineline Kit) both 0-4-4 tank locos and am detailing a Hornby Dublo R1 0-6-0 tank loco with a SE finecast chassis and adding details.  The Chassis is a nickel silver chassis and solders together easily and built up very quickly.  The body kit too goes together easily and the moulded handrails were replaced with wire ones, lamp irons are staples cut down, the smokebox door handle was replaced with a Branchlines item.  The Cab front windows were enlarged and the rear of the cab sides were extended/corrected.  The  rigging/brake gear was from Branchlines as were the lower frames and were all etched items.

The Tender used the Branchlines Chassis kit and a Hornby Castle tender to make the later tender and the coal load was removed and a new floor constructed. I have yet to add the real coal. Also one of the whistle tubes pinged off to satisfy the Carpet monster and so will need to be replaced and I have yet to complete the Cab interior brightwork and add front and rear dummy couplings however all my modelling stuff is now packed up and will have to wait for my loft conversion which is due to start very soon. So I am calling this done for now and will do these bits in the future sometime.

The Loco was withdrawn in April 1951 and there is a photo of her a few months before her withdrawal and shows her in a very grubby state and also shows she still retained the GWR logo on the tender sides, I won't post it as I am not sure about copyright etc but a google search will bring it up.

Oh and I almost forgot she runs very nicely on the rolling road. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first version of this loco that I have ever seen in good weathering.  I remember those original Airfix kits, even had one myself, but every model that I saw had been finished in bright green and looked unreal.  Yours is a treat to see, thank you for posting these images Chris.

Mike

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Chris,

found it! Sorry to be a pest, but is there any chance of re-linking the photos?

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark 

I will need to log onto the steam aged computer to look for them , will see if I can locate.  Thanks  fella.

Chris

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mark 

I will need to log onto the steam aged computer to look for them , will see if I can locate.  Thanks  fella.

Chris

Sorry, mate, I didn't mean to give you more work to do :( please don't worry about it!

Mark

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Sorry, mate, I didn't mean to give you more work to do :( please don't worry about it!

Mark

No worries fella.   I have changed image hosting sites since, it shouldn't be much hassle 

Chris

• Like 1

Definitely worth it, Chris, thank you! Jackdaw looks fantastic and a fine tribute to those elegant locos. Excellent! More of your railway modelling, please!

I was nosing through the new Model Rail mag in the local supermarket, and Branchlines are still doing these as a package deal :)

Thanks again for taking the time to relink the photos.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

It was worth it.  Lovely job: well done!

Thanks Seahawk, it was a pleasing model to build and really enjoyed it too

17 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Definitely worth it, Chris, thank you! Jackdaw looks fantastic and a fine tribute to those elegant locos. Excellent! More of your railway modelling, please!

I was nosing through the new Model Rail mag in the local supermarket, and Branchlines are still doing these as a package deal :)

Thanks again for taking the time to relink the photos.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, it was great fun to do and was able to correct a few bits too. There is something fascinating about watching an outside framed loco running, I love the little Manning Wardle on my sons little  layout. 

I will be building a 32nd scale freelance narrow gauge loco ons day soon in the Hunslet style with outside frames in the style of the locos on Dave Taylors lovey Charmouth layout. That is well worth a lookif you've not seen already.

I will try and get myself organised Mark and gets one Railway Modelling done as I an so busy with Aircraft, family  and work,  there's not enough hours in a day!!!

The Branchlines products are excellent Mark and he does various sets too.  I used his chassis on an Wainright R1 0-6-0

Tank (Triang) and made one of yhe three engines used on the Folkestone harbour Branch.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The Branchlines products are excellent Mark and he does various sets too.  I used his chassis on an Wainright R1 0-6-0

Tank (Triang) and made one of yhe three engines used on the Folkestone harbour Branch.

Any chance of some photos of this one, as well, please? The SER holds a bit of a fascination as well :)

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

Any chance of some photos of this one, as well, please? The SER holds a bit of a fascination as well :)

All the best,

Mark

I will add this to the thread I will start , SECR into SR to BR is my favourite area and this also encompasses a few subjects of LBSC due to the cross over on the subject of my fascination, the New Romney Branch line.  It was used as a running in track for the Ashford works so got a lot of variety of locos.

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Thanks for the tip: catalogue ordered!

Glad it helped, you can look at those sheets fir hours. Don't get in trouble with the Domestic authorities though!!!😉

Chris

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Glad it helped, you can look at those sheets fir hours. Don't get in trouble with the Domestic authorities though!!!😉

I emailed them for some of their catalogues and got them by return :) great service!

@Seahawk I hope you're as lucky as I am with your domestic authorities! At worst, I get out-loud eyeball-rolling :D

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I will add this to the thread I will start , SECR into SR to BR is my favourite area and this also encompasses a few subjects of LBSC due to the cross over on the subject of my fascination, the New Romney Branch line.  It was used as a running in track for the Ashford works so got a lot of variety of locos.

Brilliant, Chris, looking forward to seeing this!

I thought about doing an SECR layout a couple of years back. The plan was to do an R1 based on the Wrenn body, and possibly a P class in the WW1 grey livery. But the lure of an H in all its Wainwright glory is strong! :D

A guy on RMWeb was 3D printing some early wagons and I got a few. Unfortunately, they're sat gathering dust on the shelf of doom.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I thought about doing an SECR layout a couple of years back. The plan was to do an R1 based on the Wrenn body, and possibly a P class in the WW1 grey livery. But the lure of an H in all its Wainwright glory is strong! :D

Nice, the detailing possibilities for the R1 are great, the P class locos are gorgeous,  mine is  a Southeastern finecast model , I have a Hornby H Class and a kit one to build.  Mine are all Southern black or BR black.  The SECR livery is gorgeous but the cosy of these now on the bay is ridiculous. 

One day you may do an SECR and you havecthe wagons already.

Chris

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice, the detailing possibilities for the R1 are great, the P class locos are gorgeous,  mine is  a Southeastern finecast model , I have a Hornby H Class and a kit one to build.  Mine are all Southern black or BR black.  The SECR livery is gorgeous but the cosy of these now on the bay is ridiculous. 

One day you may do an SECR and you havecthe wagons already.

Chris

I was just looking on eBay at the Hornby H Class - I nearly fainted!!!

Quite a few Wrenn R1s, but I also spotted this I think it's someone, maybe the same guy, on RMWeb who was designing a corrected R Class body. Looks like a good candidate for an etched chassis kit!

I might get around to an SECR layout one day, especially as I prefer micro/cameo layouts.

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

@Seahawk I hope you're as lucky as I am with your domestic authorities! At worst, I get out-loud eyeball-rolling :D

I know what you mean.  Amazing how deafening eyeball-rolling can be, isn't it?

• Haha 2

I was just looking on eBay at the Hornby H Class - I nearly fainted!!!

Quite a few Wrenn R1s, but I also spotted this I think it's someone, maybe the same guy, on RMWeb who was designing a corrected R Class body. Looks like a good candidate for an etched chassis kit!

I might get around to an SECR layout one day, especially as I prefer micro/cameo layouts.

Mark

They look lovely Mark and got the rounded cabs too, before Wainright days, the one with the small stack is a crab and winkle railway loco, Canterbury to Whitstable line, wicked.

An Etched Chassis under those will look great.

I like the small layouts, although I would love a large roundy roundy to exercise them a bit.  

Chris

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike said:

I do like a nice choo-choo, and that was well-worth putting the photos back :yes:

Thanks Mike, very kind, I could do with more hours in a day so I can do more Railway models as well as the aircraft.

Chris

• Like 2