RAF Hercules Dio

tc2324

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:51 PM, Ascoteer said:

I got the photo's thanks. :)

You might leave the ADS arms connected on the ground if you were in, say, 'roller conveyor and side guidance rails' fit - in this case to load the aircraft you'd essentially open the ramp to the horizontal, drive a Condec up to it (a sort of flat bed veicle with a built in roller conveyor on its deck) and merely slide the palletised load off the Condec and into Albert.

Edit: What milli21 says is true but, as I stated above, the ADS arms are attached to the fuselage. They attach to the ramp via a removeable pin. Thus they are permanently attached to the aircraft but they are not always connected to the ramp.

The US manufactured Condec 25K transfer loading vehicle was replaced in RAF service by a British manufactured transfer loader know as the 'Atlas' in the 1980's.  Airbus were not first to use this name.

Atlas manufactured by AMSS. I saw the first two being built in Bridgend 1990-92 ish.

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, warranyofficerboy said:

a British manufactured transfer loader know as the 'Atlas' in the 1980's.  Airbus were not first to use this name.

The RAF also operated the Armstrong Whitworth Atlas as an Army Co-Op aircraft in the late 1920's

• Like 1