Mk.A Whippet with British Infantry

Shar2

Mk.A Whippet and British Infantry

Meng 1:35
boxart.jpg

The Model

Originally released on its own last year and reviewed on this site HERE, it was great to finally see a modern release of this WWI medium tank.  With this special edition release, Meng have included a set of British Infantry, perfect for use in a diorama.  The single additional sprue contains four figures, each provided with a selection of accessories and weapons.  There is one officer, obvious by the swagger stick held under one arm, the other three infantrymen are in various relaxed poses, one holding his Lee Enfield in a stand easy pose, one with the same type of rifle thrown over his shoulder, whilst he third man is standing with his Lewis gun butt on the ground whilst he holds the muzzle. They are all issued with steel helmets, various pouches and ammo packs, to be used as required.  The mouldings are very nicely done, with great detail, including the fact that each face is different, although three do sport mustaches, which was quite natural for the time.

figures.jpg

Conclusion

The Whippet kit is a very nice kit on its own, but the inclusion of the figures will bring another dimension to a diorama with the tank, or even on their own.  It would be nice to have more of these figures released, particularly some in a more action oriented pose.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

It was discontinued during WW1, but it was a prerequisite to have a mustache when you wanted to join the British Army pre-1914. This, according to an old episode of QI

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Basosz said:

It was discontinued during WW1, but it was a prerequisite to have a mustache when you wanted to join the British Army pre-1914. This, according to an old episode of QI

And that was just for the women...

• Like 2

These four figures have been taken from the Master Box set 35146 that originally had five figures. The missing fifth figure was on a separate sprue that is apparently not a part of this release from Meng Models.

On the subject of moustaches, if I can be allowed to put my anorak on, Kings Regulations had the following wording: “The hair of the head will be kept short. The chin and under lip will be shaved, but not the upper lip. Whiskers, if worn, will be of moderate length.”   However, in October 1916 an Army Order was issued which read: "that in paragraph 1,606 of the King’s Regulations the words “but not the upper lip” shall be deleted."

So there you have it, in the British Army moustaches were required under Kings Regulations until 1916.  How rigorously this was applied I don't know, certainly you can find plenty of photographs of British soldiers without moustaches, I have a photograph of my grandad in uniform taken in 1915 and he is clean shaven.

Back to the original topic, the Meng Whippet is a great kit, mine went together beautifully!

• Like 2

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:19 PM, Shar2 said:

Really Mick?  That's interesting, and something I didn't know, so thanks for that. I did wonder why they didn't release them separately.

Sorry about that as I did not see the Masterbox logo on the box art. I just saw the figures and thought that I'd seen them before somewhere. It seems to be unusual not to include all of the figures from the set with this release.

5 hours ago, 593jones said:

On the subject of moustaches, if I can be allowed to put my anorak on, Kings Regulations had the following wording: “The hair of the head will be kept short. The chin and under lip will be shaved, but not the upper lip. Whiskers, if worn, will be of moderate length.”   However, in October 1916 an Army Order was issued which read: "that in paragraph 1,606 of the King’s Regulations the words “but not the upper lip” shall be deleted."

So there you have it, in the British Army moustaches were required under Kings Regulations until 1916.  How rigorously this was applied I don't know, certainly you can find plenty of photographs of British soldiers without moustaches, I have a photograph of my grandad in uniform taken in 1915 and he is clean shaven.

Back to the original topic, the Meng Whippet is a great kit, mine went together beautifully!

I seem to remember reading, I think it was in a Richard Holmes book, that the rule was challenged by an officer who was an actor pre-war and claimed that growing a moustache would limit the roles he could take after the war (which would be over by Christmas) because he'd have an in-tanned upper lip after shaving the moustache. The Kings Regulations were then changed by a senior officer how hated having to have a moustache.

On 25 October 2016 at 7:03 PM, Beard said:

I seem to remember reading, I think it was in a Richard Holmes book, that the rule was challenged by an officer who was an actor pre-war and claimed that growing a moustache would limit the roles he could take after the war (which would be over by Christmas) because he'd have an in-tanned upper lip after shaving the moustache. The Kings Regulations were then changed by a senior officer how hated having to have a moustache.

He must have been a very persuasive chap, I can imagine the response he would get from some senior officers of the time!

• Like 1

On 24/10/2016 at 5:17 AM, sinnerboy said:

young junior officers were told/advised to grow a tash ( if they were able to ) to convey a sense of maturity/authority over the ranks, post conscription.

Yeah sure. Most of the subalterns I knew as a soldier were baby faced enough that any attempt to grow a moustache would have led to ribald disrespect about its utter failure to look anything better than "bumfluff"

Said from the safety of my own military tache which has been there since I was 20, so perilously close to 40 years

Shane

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shane said:

Yeah sure. Most of the subalterns I knew as a soldier were baby faced enough that any attempt to grow a moustache would have led to ribald disrespect about its utter failure to look anything better than "bumfluff"

Said from the safety of my own military tache which has been there since I was 20, so perilously close to 40 years

Shane

see

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63606-stiff-upper-lip/

also as an avid Great War book worm I have seen in several publications

5 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

see

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63606-stiff-upper-lip/

also as an avid Great War book worm I have seen in several publications

Yes, I didn't contend that it was KR, just that it was expected to make kids look like men. It doesn't. On a very many of them, especially fair haired boys, it makes them look laughable and I can assure you that my own mo at 18 years old was NOT an object of admiration by anyone.

Shane

32 minutes ago, Shane said:

Yes, I didn't contend that it was KR, just that it was expected to make kids look like men.

Shane

apologies, I got the wrong end of the handle,( handlebar moustache that is ;) )

I thought you were doubting the instruction/KR's.

yes I'm sure that it did in many cases look like bum fluff, bless 'em.