The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

You could also try the following for a bit of mix and max with various body parts:

http://shop.1-72depot.com/miniatures/1-72/figures/czech-masters-kits/f72052-waaf-personel-ww-ii/

Looks like you gonna have to change your username to Baron Victor von Frankenstein....

Edited by Tomoshenko
  • Like 4

Both the Preiser and Taylor sets look just the thing for my projected but unrealistically massive Midsomer Murders diorama. The 'Adam' set fits right in without much surgery apart from a gender change in one particular instance (the vet in the hamper, Barnaby J's first Midsomer case, from memory). Love the Ms Weekes dollies :). A shining part of Foyle's War - Ms Weekes, not the dollies (both sadly missed!).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Just can't remember who it was :whistle: ?

That would have been my evil surgical-addiction twin. Last I heard he was living in a lean-to in a clump of rocks on Dartmoor and frightening tourists with a half-made Barracuda....

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

You could also try the following for a bit of mix and max with various body parts:

http://shop.1-72depot.com/miniatures/1-72/figures/czech-masters-kits/f72052-waaf-personel-ww-ii/

Smashing link Tomo - I'll keep that up my sleeve....now why can I never find those things when I go looking?<_< I did 'stumble across' the nudist camp set that Ced had mentioned and may have to get some of those for my 50 Shades of FAA diorama...

10 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Looks like you gonna have to change your username to Baron Victor von Frankenstein...

049a5189-504a-4cf6-8de4-e203a332eb21.jpg

Looks like I'll need a new avatar....

9 hours ago, AlexN said:

Both the Preiser and Taylor sets look just the thing for my projected but unrealistically massive Midsomer Murders diorama.

Go for it Alex! I drove through several Dorset villages last summer holiday with the Midsomer Murders soundtrack playing on the car stereo. It completely alters your view of the English countryside....

19 minutes ago, 71chally said:

One gets used to various references to the stars of entertainment in these threads, Sid James, Hinge and Bracket, Blackadder, the list is almost err interesting - but Kelis that has to be a first!

What can I say? I enjoy milkshakes.:lol:

Get down with da yoof and fit a Wu Tang Clan reference into your next Shackleton post James....!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I did 'stumble across' the nudist camp set that Ced had mentioned and may have to get some of those for my 50 Shades of FAA diorama...

:rofl: again! You do make me laugh, m'lord!

I first stumbled across the 'nudist set' in a shop window somewhere 'abroad' (no, not Amsterdam, I think it was in France) and just assumed that such dioramas were common in 'foreign parts'. It does beg the question though as to how one can obtain suitable 'real life' reference shots without having your collar felt - or any other part of your anatomy actually.

I'll look forward to the 50 Shades of FAA diorama!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

:rofl: again! You do make me laugh, m'lord!

I first stumbled across the 'nudist set' in a shop window somewhere 'abroad' (no, not Amsterdam, I think it was in France) and just assumed that such dioramas were common in 'foreign parts'. It does beg the question though as to how one can obtain suitable 'real life' reference shots without having your collar felt - or any other part of your anatomy actually.

I have so say it would make for quite an "interesting" contribution to the walkaround section.

Edited by Tomoshenko
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

50 Shades of FAA diorama...

Reminds me of that The Thick Of It moment when some MP is whinging that things aren't just black and white and that there are various shades of grey you know, to which party whip Jamie replies 'I know, I'm staring at 50 of them right now!'

Fiddy shades of FAA grey, from Light Slate Grey, through Cerrux Grey, Sea Grey, Sky Grey, Extra Dark Sea Grey, and onto RAF Blue Grey!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CedB said:

5 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

I have so say it would make for quite an "interesting" contribution to the walkaround section.

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

Fiddy shades of FAA grey, from Light Slate Grey, through Cerrux Grey, Sea Grey, Sky Grey, Extra Dark Sea Grey, and onto RAF Blue Grey!

You know what this forum is like - there'd only be a mass debate as to whether Vallejo or Tamiya have the correct colour for shiny black leather....:analintruder::whip:

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Like Karen Brady, "Mrs Martian, harsh but fair"!

Someone needs to keep you in check - nobody here can! :ike:

A quick lunchtime update of progress on the canopy. This is one of the glacially-slow periods where I find myself regularly staring bug-eyed through the magnifier whilst reframing the various sections to give them approximately correct visual 'weight':

32121485120_07c0351d6c_c.jpg

Various thicknesses of Slater's finest coming into play here. As you can see in its raw form the new framework is clunky and has various gaps at the corners, though once sanded down and a little scraping of filler here and there it starts to answer t othe task as a process for making this area look better than the transparency moulding alone can handle:

31656855324_66edcbd66d_c.jpg

I love the clarity of the Falcon Clearvax stuff but the actual frame detail in the moulding just needs a little 'lift' IMHO. The simplest and most rapid way of utilizing such a method is to simply glue (with Tamiya ET) strip of the required thickness to each edge in turn, cutting it to length as you go. At this scale I found that a more reliable route than measuring and cutting lengths beforehand, and then getting the buggers mixed-up every time you breath on the bench:

32121485950_6264263e3a_c.jpg

Slow work, and I had to keep reminding myself to look regularly at reference photos to check what you were doing and not getting confused as to which section you are on:

31656850784_d6ac8c1cbf_c.jpg

Some of the curves can be somewhat finicky so for those regions you just have to use strip a little thicker than is actually needed, so that you have sacrificial material to carve down to a matching curvature with a scalpel blade:

32378555101_56a3989480_c.jpg

There's something oddly satisfying about sanding those angular corners you can see above into matching curves..must be a modeller thing...:wacko:

They're not finished to my satisfaction yet but I couldn't resist a quick test fit  of the pieces - as well as confirming that I hadn't added too much plastic back on in the frames:

32500009755_f6518d6e07_c.jpg

For the rear section that the TAGs canopy tilts forward under (if you get me drift) I resorted to metail foil in order to keep the framing for that part in scale as I'd done previously on the Sea Venom:

32121484200_9421452c30_c.jpg

Dust everywhere - the pilot's canopy looks like a snowglobe at present:

32348207862_a23d140664_c.jpg

Everything in the correct sequence:

32121484600_557a629cf1_c.jpg

Not only is this glazed and framed now: 

31688735983_54de82d0d7_c.jpg

but my eyes too are glazing over...

I'll leave that lot overnight for the adhesive to harden, then come back for final filling and sanding before the other fun part - masking-off all that stuff. And I thought the last 24 hrs were fiddly...

I hope you lot are having a good week thus far!

:bye: Tony

• Like 17

Mrs Martian can't keep me in check either, that's probably why she says that First Officer Maureen is welcome to me.

Martian

• Like 2

... mass debate ...

You used that phrase on purpose, didn't you. Naughty! :wicked:

32121485120_07c0351d6c_c.jpg

Not only do you demonstrate skills par excellence on canopy framing, but you give us wood in the background (fnaar fnaar) - very artistic.

Yes, I have had a liquid lunch, plus pie and chips! :D

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Well Tony that does look hard..

So it's not just me then... :rolleyes:

I will no doubt review this post with embarrassment (maybe) tomorrow :blush: 

• Like 4

Tony, if you and any other of the regulars want to team up to commission an ATA Female Pilots set I'd willingly join in.....A big chunk of my family wouldn't be here if a certain ATA auxilliary and a Canadian Halifax navigator hadn't met one day.  :wub:

PS - Cracking work on the canopy.....Glueing things to clear plastic always gives me the heebies!  :shutup:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Seriously very good work

Thanks Bill. I must say that the eye muscles feel it tonight now after that undertaking. Probably time to slap a couple of pieces of cool cucumber on them and lie down with a whale song or two on the headphones. Regrettably with the amount of biscuits I've consumed recently I will probably resemble a beached whale lying there....

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Mrs Martian can't keep me in check either, that's probably why she says that First Officer Maureen is welcome to me.

Well, there is a long and sordid history of Martians running amok on the Earth!

war-of-the-worlds-1953-martian-hand-on-s

• Like 4

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely work on those canopy frames. Very fiddly but it should really pay off when it's all done.

Cheers Ian. I'm now working out how to try and make handles for the pilot's sliding section...:banghead:

3 hours ago, CedB said:

You used that phrase on purpose, didn't you. Naughty! :wicked:

I used it once in a departmental meeting without thinking - you've never known so many people suddenly look off into the middle distance.

3 hours ago, CedB said:

I will no doubt review this post with embarrassment (maybe) tomorrow :blush: 

Plus of course they will be discussing it at the NSA tomorrow at the 9am briefing and Wikileaks will be releasing it next October....:blink:

2 hours ago, hendie said:

excellent work there on the canopy.  The effort was definitely worth it - it really brings the kit alive.

Thanks Hendie. I'm beginning to suspect the kit has a life of it's own at this stage, so many bits does it sprout.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Tony, if you and any other of the regulars want to team up to commission an ATA Female Pilots set I'd willingly join in.....A big chunk of my family wouldn't be here if a certain ATA auxilliary and a Canadian Halifax navigator hadn't met one day.  :wub:

PS - Cracking work on the canopy.....Glueing things to clear plastic always gives me the heebies!  :shutup:

Sarge that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all! Any idea how much we'd be talking in terms of commission as there's got to be some takers on the forum?

23 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Superb work on the canopy Tony. Steady steady, slowly slowly, but you'll get there in the end and it'll be well worth it. They'll look superb once painted, Martian invasions permitting...

Thanks for your kind words Tomo.

• Like 5

Can you have a "pregnant pause" in a "mass debate"????

Have you thought of 8thou brass wire for the handles? Bends easily, nice and thin... might even be able to use a strand of thin wire from something ex-computery....

Ian

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'll make some enquiries.  :coolio:

I heard you say that in Inspector Morse's voice for some reason!:blink:

11 hours ago, 71chally said:

Absolutely superb work on that canopy frame work, if you can do Fairey framing you can do any framing!

Keeping the bloody thing in the right order from front to rear is like some kind of ongoing intelligence test...

9 hours ago, perdu said:

I did

There he is constable - that's the man there...

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Have you thought of 8thou brass wire for the handles? Bends easily, nice and thin... might even be able to use a strand of thin wire from something ex-computery....

Great minds etc. Ian. I was rooting around last night and found a paper bag at the back of the bench that I'd forgotten about. In the pre-Christmas rush I'd bought some rolls of wire and neodymium magnets I'd seen cheap and forgotten about them - the wire looks just the right thickness and stiffness for the job in hand.

• Like 3

Nicely framed :).

I have to confess :blush: that up until this thread I had never heard of Slater's (from Bath, I notice). They 'ship foreign' so I may send through an order, the Accountant permitting.

An MM diorama can't compete with a 50 shades one (alrhough I thought that I'd get more than one larf out of the vet in the basket comment). Don't mind me, I have a bit of a cold.

Looking forward to the next step(s) :).

A.

• Like 1