The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

my old favourite of 'heat the needle'

Stored for future use - top tip!

Great work going on here Tony, as always... the re-framing looks very neat.

Those photos are great too - she's really growing on me as a subject (the Bara, not Maureen) :) 

• Like 3

Completely agree with wot Ced said Tony.

The microstrip canopy framing looks very good indeed.

As did Maureen. :wub:. I know that Ced is normally the pilot person, but I can't help feeling that, given Maureen's important role in Barra promotion, and that fantastic thumbs up photo of her.....

A 1/72 lady pilot in a Barra giving the thumbs up. Got to be done Tony, surely :)?

All the best 

TonyT

• Like 3

God bless Maureen and the girls.

That paintwork wasn't exactly ship shape was it?

Ah, the old hot pin. I recently bought a box of old models

at the car boot sale. In it was a twin engine civvie job that

had been given the hot pin bullet holes treatment.

That took me back a few years.

Kippers? The two Ronnies was on yesterday,

Ronnie C was in the chair and mentioned that

his Mother once served up a Kipper & two brussel sprouts.

He said he thought she'd cooked a Mermaid.

• Like 2

I like the framing and the Barra pictures but like the one of Maureen best of all! You are still required to model her BTW!

Martian (Can't model at the moment so I'll sit here being mischievous)!

• Like 3

As ye all already know my opinion of these things wot was sent to try the poor old Fleet to pieces, I have to admit that the lovely Mo has given me a new, far less jaundiced view of the 'cuda

The new screen framing looks far betterererer now  (OK already, the fingers just set up a cadence and it seemed a bit nasty to interrupt! OK?)

Don't try too hard to undercut the slide framings edges, it will never show. This I can guarantee from hard, painful experience

Dead nice yon Maureen, will she be back?

Except as a sleeves rolled up young aircraftslady in the model at one squiggledytwice scale...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Stored for future use - top tip!

Great work going on here Tony, as always... the re-framing looks very neat.

Those photos are great too - she's really growing on me as a subject (the Bara, not Maureen) :) 

Mercy bowcoo Ced. Each time I add a bit it still seems like it'll be forever to finish. I've never known an aircraft for having so many bits that you keep discovering sticking out of various places...

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

A 1/72 lady pilot in a Barra giving the thumbs up. Got to be done Tony, surely :)?

Cheers TT! Don't say that about the female pilot you'll only remind Mar...too late:

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You are still required to model her BTW!

Sweet of you dahling  but I just don't have the figure.:shocked:

I seem to recall making vague noises about doing something with Milliput way back on the thread due to your excessive zeal for a Maureen in the build. Funnily enough Martian I was idly looking at 1 72 figures not that long ago - there's some Preiser 'girls' in 1 72 that could be modified but they're too expensive for my tastes. As for some of the metal females in that scale on Ebay, those Ive seen are just too ghastly for words....let me think this through..maybe...

1 hour ago, perdu said:

The new screen framing looks far betterererer now  (OK already, the fingers just set up a cadence and it seemed a bit nasty to interrupt! OK?)

Don't try too hard to undercut the slide framings edges, it will never show. This I can guarantee from hard, painful experience

Dead nice yon Maureen, will she be back?

Cheers Bill.:thumbsup2:

By 'undercut the slide framing edges' do you mean underneath the canopy on the inside? (I wasn't really that concerned about that aspect, more so seen from the outside).

As to the inclusion of First Officer Maureen Dunlop:

5053894fada41cbf7428d0c56348dcf5.jpg

If I can find an appropriate shirt-sleeved figure to modify, she's in.

Addenda: that doesn't mean she'll have a working folding arm....just to be clear.

• Like 9

Shhhh

She's a bit tired, keep the noise down

Preiser or maybe even Slater's might come up with a suitable figure

There are hundreds of choice young lady figures in Railways Accessories packs and some diorama figures I saw in Parabellum's shop last year... hundreds

Not that I would even dream of doing a young lady (mind it, you) for a model if you don't count a 1/48 scale bargess that popped out of the workshop one year, many years ago

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, perdu said:

Preiser or maybe even Slater's might come up with a suitable figure

Cheers for those links Bill. I'd been looking at some of the Preiser stuff on the 'bay earlier and found it a bit expensive but after a trawl around the alternatives you sent though I found this Preiser set in 1/72:

preiser-72512-1-72nd-scale-passers-by-st

with a number of likely candidates for modification. Trouble was most places were sold out until I discovered a railway suppliers in N.Devon that had one in stock at reasonable rates, so an order is now made and it looks like there will be a Maureen for the Barra after all. :thumbsup2:

As an aside, whilst I was doing the above, Mrs B. enquired what I was looking for so avidly this time of night on the iPad. A word of advice: never absent-mindedly reply to your spouse that your are just searching the web for a suitable woman that you can use. Proof positive if ever it were needed that context is everything in a statement...

Johnny: Cheers for that - we must have hit the submit reply button simultaneously!:lol:

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

As an aside, whilst I was doing the above, Mrs B. enquired what I was looking for so avidly this time of night on the iPad. A word of advice: never absent-mindedly reply to your spouse that your are just searching the web for a suitable woman that you can use. Proof positive if ever it were needed that context is everything in a statement...

If I did that in front of the current Mrs Jockney I would be pushing the daisies up rather than writing this :pray: :shutup: 

• Like 5

Looking forward to the Maureen modelling Tony - if you can't find a suitable garbed figure, you could always buy one of the 'nudist sets' and dress her yourself... and keep the spares for other, er, modelling jobs :) 

Warning: don't get caught searching the 'net for 'nudist models'. Just saying.

• Like 5

Attempting to construct context after the event is almost always doomed to failure :deadhorse: :chair:.

I thought that I saw PO Dunlop some pages back, going through what appeared to be pre-flight check/notes next to her Barracuda charge. Very nice photo, that. I didn't mention it at the time because I couldn't remember her name and thought that 'that famous female ferry pilot' or similar was rather ill-mannered.

Glad to hear that she will be starring in your excellent build :).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

If I did that in front of the current Mrs Jockney I would be pushing the daisies up rather than writing this :pray: :shutup: 

Mrs Martian would probably say she was welcome to me!

Martian

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Would any of Dan Taylor's ATS Women range be of use for uniformed parts

They look great Sarge and the drivers come with exchangeable heads - handy (with apologies to Her Majesty).

Pity he doesn't do WWII RAF pilots, I'd be a customer in seconds!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CedB said:

They look great Sarge and the drivers come with exchangeable heads - handy (with apologies to Her Majesty).

His stuff is brilliant isn't it? Saw a post of his on a military modelling forum about how he makes his figure masters. He said he carves them out of offcuts of scrap styrene sheet left over from making the masters of his AFV parts...!! Amazing stuff!

Keith

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CedB said:

I believe he (or his sculptor) will take commissions.....If you keep an eye on the Braille Scale Discussion Group he is a regular there and he's a really nice bloke.  There are also a couple of other figure sculptors who drop in looking for suggestions for subjects and they hold a competition to get a set of your dream figures sculpted a couple of times each year on average IIRC (I don't spend as much time there as I should these days for some reason). :coolio:

PS - If you search "figure sculpting" at the Braille DG you will find Dan's sculpting technique depicted for all to try, part one is here:  http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1410766277

• Like 4

No idea of the cost, but I'm pretty sure it's reasonably doable for a small group.....I seem to recall a few of the regulars commissioning ranges in the past. :coolio:

Have to warn you that wingy-subjects will be at a severe disadvantage in the Braille DG competitions.....You'll probably feel a bit like I do when I see the GB nominations each year.  :whistle:

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I believe he (or his sculptor) will take commissions.....If you keep an eye on the Braille Scale Discussion Group he is a regular there and he's a really nice bloke. 

PS - If you search "figure sculpting" at the Braille DG you will find Dan's sculpting technique depicted for all to try, part one is here:  http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1410766277

That's where I saw it - couldn't actually remember where it was!

Way too much skill involved for me to even consider trying it!

Keith

• Like 1

21 hours ago, perdu said:

hur and did I say HUR?

I believe you defintootly might have done!

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

If I did that in front of the current Mrs Jockney 

Best not to I reckon...

20 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking forward to the Maureen modelling Tony - if you can't find a suitable garbed figure, you could always buy one of the 'nudist sets' and dress her yourself... and keep the spares for other, er, modelling jobs :) 

Or indeed the 'nude Adam' set!

41tvXKdHqCL._SY355_.jpg

Would you Adam and Eve it?:o

20 hours ago, CedB said:

Warning: don't get caught searching the 'net for 'nudist models'. 

Again....

20 hours ago, AlexN said:

Glad to hear that she will be starring in your excellent build :).

Honour-bound at this stage Alex!:D

19 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Would any of Dan Taylor's ATS Women range be of use for uniformed parts:  http://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/ats-women-53-c.asp

Sarge those are just fabulous! 'Uniformed parts' has a beguilingly fetishistic ring to it - you're a man full of suprises!;)

19 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

One of his drivers will seem very familiar I suspect.  ;)

I love the Honeysuckle Weeks one he mentions there!

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Mrs Martian would probably say she was welcome to me!

Oh I say that's very harsh!

11 hours ago, CedB said:

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

His stuff is brilliant isn't it? Saw a post of his on a military modelling forum about how he makes his figure masters. He said he carves them out of offcuts of scrap styrene sheet left over from making the masters of his AFV parts...!! Amazing stuff!

Ditto on that Ced + Keith. They are such beautifully crafted pieces.

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

There are also a couple of other figure sculptors who drop in looking for suggestions for subjects and they hold a competition to get a set of your dream figures sculpted a couple of times each year on average IIRC (I don't spend as much time there as I should these days for some reason).

I might have to suggest an ATA set! Thanks for the web link btw Sarge - I'll have a read of that tonight.:thumbsup:it all depends on what I find on opening the Preiser box when it arrives but I'm hoping some Milliput additions and a little carving an limb re-positioning will suffice to do the 'full Dunlop'...

Nowt to show tonight but I hope to use part of a half-day tomorrow to carry on framing out and masking off the glasshouse.

:bye: Tony

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Would you Adam and Eve it?

:rofl: I'll believe anything nowadays.

Hey, wait a minute, that Adam set has twelve heads but only seven torsos! Seven right legs but only six right ones? What's going on!

After assembly I would imagine the bench would look like a Saturday night out in [insert your rough town here]!

• Like 7

I'm very pleased to see that you're going to model Mo, Tony. :thumbsup2: 

Figures really add scale and context to models. A nice tribute too :).

The Preiser figures are very nice. I have just one set; they're very nicely sculpted.

Some fairly radical surgery may be needed, and Dexter may have to come out :o! Nevertheless after the impending horror I'm sure a nice Mo will emerge!

I remember someone making all kinds of things on another thread, out of left over over pilot body parts. He was pretty deft with a razor saw, I remember that :door: !

Just can't remember who it was :whistle: ?

TT

• Like 3