The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

Holy poo Tony! Your work is a little mind bending, and your post are rather funny.... you better be really ugly to make up for your talent...

nice c..... rooster.... impressive! Some guys have it all.

Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

you better be really ugly to make up for your talent...

My body is like a temple Rob...in that the roof's falling in and it doesn't get as many visitors as it used to.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Progress is progressing well Tony, good work!

Thanks for your progressive comments Comrade Keith. The Party acknowledges your contribution to the People's Paradise that is Britmodeller.

• Like 4

Fantastic work on the hinge, Tony! Following avidly. Lovely rooster, too - very fine.

Regarding the DuBro hinges - maybe you'll become an aeromodeller yet ;). It looks as though I use exactly the same 3M 3000-series respirator/cartridges as you (in my case I have the dust pre-filters that sit on top of the cartidges), but for my boat-building work, not airbrushing. Although I do intend to use it for that if I ever get around to that particular chore (airbrushing), It's a nice comfotrable resprator, I find, and I've used a number of different brands - mostly for spraying pesticides fully suited, which is possibly why the aversion to using an airbrush.

Looking forward to your next instalment :).

Happy New Year for tomorrow, too.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlexN said:

Fantastic work on the hinge, Tony! Following avidly. Lovely rooster, too - very fine.

Regarding the DuBro hinges - maybe you'll become an aeromodeller yet ;). It looks as though I use exactly the same 3M 3000-series respirator/cartridges as you (in my case I have the dust pre-filters that sit on top of the cartidges), but for my boat-building work, not airbrushing. Although I do intend to use it for that if I ever get around to that particular chore (airbrushing), It's a nice comfotrable resprator, I find, and I've used a number of different brands - mostly for spraying pesticides fully suited, which is possibly why the aversion to using an airbrush.

Hi Alex!

Thanks for your kind words.

The respirator was recommended by someone on the forum (to my shame I can't remember who) as I'd been looking for one for ages that didn't cause my glasses to steam up when wearing it for prolonged periods. You're right, this model is extremely comfortable.

Should I be sticking a dust pre-filter on mine as well?

The DuBro hinges were a new one on me, so of course I had to get a set to try out!

HNY to you too Alex!

8 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Na Zdorovie Komrad !

The only other Russian I know is so incredibly profane that I'll get thrown of the forum for using it Keithski. :lol:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Should I be sticking a dust pre-filter on mine as well?

Possibly only if you're dealing with a lot of fine sanding dust: it would increase the cartridge life a bit. And also catch larger paint droplets when spraying. The dust filters were particularly useful for me when sawing up Western Red Cedar in a table saw in a very confined space even with dust extraction. I always have a set in place plus a set of spares as a matter of course. From memory they don't cost much and don't reduce the airflow much except when clogged, in which case they should already have been replaced.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ced would use up his whole 2017 allocation of fnaar's on those lyrics!

Eh? I thought it was about some bloke's chicken? 

(Quick post from my hotel bed...)

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Stonking stuff, really impressed with your engineering.....Still can't quite believe it TBH:coolio:

You're very kind Sarge - cheers! You do realize though that:

13 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

That's the second time I've been innocently browsing my way through a thread and ended up snorting tea out of my nose.

I love this forum :rofl:

Thar she blows Phil! :lol: That Martian blighter pulled a good 'un out of the bag there eh? 

5 hours ago, AlexN said:

Possibly only if you're dealing with a lot of fine sanding dust: it would increase the cartridge life a bit. And also catch larger paint droplets when spraying. The dust filters were particularly useful for me when sawing up Western Red Cedar in a table saw in a very confined space even with dust extraction. I always have a set in place plus a set of spares as a matter of course. From memory they don't cost much and don't reduce the airflow much except when clogged, in which case they should already have been replaced.

The amount of grindings and particles floating around the bench these days I'd best get a set of dust filters as well I reckon. Cheers Alex.

5 hours ago, CedB said:

(Quick post from my hotel bed...)

'Hallo? Room Service? Could you send somebody up to Suite 309 to push the Like button on a forum post for me?'

'Ark at 'is lordship there.:rolleyes: (deeply envious of course)....

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Fine specimens there Tony plastic and feathered. :lol: nice to see the paint going on.  

Cheers John. Are your flock still laying anything or are they in their winter recess? Our guys don't know what to make of the confused weather at present and seem to lay randomly...

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Brilliant stuff Tony. Glad to see some paint on the go. The chickens at coming home to roost know..... okay I'll do one...:coat:

I see we're veering back to pantomime mode there Abanazer.:lol: Cheers for the compliment; you're right about the sight of paint being a bit of a morale booster. After staring at bare plastic and metal for so long the eyes hunger for something vivid don't they?

As we've had the Dremelclone out this morning, let's start with some Priest:

I remember seeing Rob, KK, Glen and the lads at the Hammersmith Odeon, IIRC about '83. A bunch of us bunked off of the Sixth Form afternoon Chemistry class in order to get home and change before getting the tube up to the gig. Such rebels. I never could carry-off the bullet belt look but I did have a satisfactorily sweaty denim jacket. From about 81-84 the Odeon seemed to have a cracking gig on about once a month: I seem to recall seeing Judy Tzuke there at some point - which was probably how my jacket got so sweaty in the first place....

Where were we? Ah yes. Grinding. On the wing portion of the wingfold there is some hingery and bracification etc. that needs doing. If the structure is to be built in such a way that it would close-up flush, you have to allow a negative space  for it to fold down into for flight. That sounds abit obscure - this is what I mean here:

32001244995_30d3455cc0_c.jpg

Instead of leaving that boxed-in trailing edge flush, I rather painstakingly went along it with a cylindrical burr tool in the Dremelclone. Actually the third one in from the left in the photo here:

31Iw+rNSfhL.jpg

It needs a steady hand and a bit of nerve because at this scale you are effectively having to reduce the recessed part to a wafer-thin thickness, with the attendant risk of birring through it completely. It can be done, but patience and frequent pauses to assess progress are the order of the day.

As there was no way of using this technique to retain a lip top and bottom (due to the size of the tool and the scale of the aircraft) I left a lip along the bottom, and added one back in using plastic strip along the top. For reference, it's probably simpler just to use plastic strip both top and bottom and simply use thinner plasticard to box the structure in to begin with, but that's with hindsight of course...

Having cut-out the required slots in the fold-over section for the hinges to slide into, it's necessary to stick the upper fold-over section onto the main wing at this stage, in order for it to act as a jig for the next part:

31884184001_3f2b9ab78d_c.jpg

As the rear fold is going to be fixed (I strongly suspect that with another fortnight to spare you could actually make this part fold over at 1/72 as well, but with my level of (in)experience I'm going to stick to simply having the main wing fold back from the root at this stage) I'm making the hinge structures from 1mm plastic blanks:

32001247015_fe586dfc94_c.jpg

These I'm making deliberately over-scale. On the maintenance drawing there is quite a lot of complicated detailing for the hinges, which would simply be too fragile to reproduce accurately at 1/72 - what I'm trying for here is a compound-shape that will amalgamate these details into something simpler and stronger, yet one that will survive scrutiny when integrated into the overall build structure by offering a representative outline to the eye. Hence after repeated offerings-up to both drawing and model, I hand-filed this test shape:

31963762606_ca23d52528_c.jpg

That actually looks ok in profile (in terms of what I'm aiming for) but I've made it too short for the depth of the wing at that point. I therefore shifted that along to the narrower part near the aileron, where it fits,  and simply made an identical version with a longer lower-section:

31884188621_8bf5b924a0_c.jpg

You can just about see that I've drilled into the edge of the aileron as there is a bar  - I think it's possibly a control linkage for the aileron itself - which passes through both sets of hinges like so:

31963765966_5666eb270c_c.jpg

I used 0.4mm brass tubing for the linkage. As you can imagine, careful marking up is needed before drilling those holes in the hinges, so I mounted them temporarily in place before using the tube as a ruler, going from aileron to wing root in order to make sure the alignments were all correct. Once drilled, you can then glue the hinges and tubing in place:

31191612883_b043fc6fca_c.jpg

At this stage I have only glued the hinges to the main wing part: this is because there is still some work to do on mounting the Youngman flaps to the folded over upper section, plus that folded section itself needs to be canted up at about a 20-30 degree angle in the final pose. Once the glue has cured I can take that upper part off and get to work on that as well.

31963767016_de43c0e229_c.jpg

I'm rather pleased with this morning's little jaunt, more so that I managed to keep everything squared-off and at right-angles:

31884191351_ab05576a8b_c.jpg

That can rest now and I'll come back to it tomorrow.

Unlike a lot of people, neither myself or Mrs.B have ever been great celebrants of the New Year. If you are going out though, I hope you have yourselves a great wild and safe time, and likewise if you're just staying home, that it's a peaceable one.

Be safe and happy and I'll see you in 2017.

:bye: Tony

• Like 10

You can't let us down now! We want a completely folding wing and we want it now! :frantic:

New Year? Not for me it is just a change of date but those of you who do chose to celebrate it, have fun and don't do anything I wouldn't stoop to.

Martian

• Like 3

Absolutely stunning microwork there Tony,

I can imagine you and the Baroness in bed together, she with her book 'Jaws', and you with your Barracuda, wistfully folding and unfolding the wings!

Anyway, I bid you all a Happy New Year!

I'm in awe, fantastic modelling skills, an excellent raconteur, wonderful choice of music,

and a quite impressive ...err....rooster, ....you've surely been blessed by the gods,

Sean

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Well, that certainly gives us a lot of leeway!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Almost to the point that anyone who can't think of anything is beyond all hope!

Martian

• Like 2

Hi Tony

I hope you are well.  What cracking progress, the hinges are inspired.  I must confess I don't have time to read all of the thread and am feeling a bit bad for not being able to get on here for a while Sorry to everyone.  I have been busy what with work and the loft conversion. 

I would like to wish you and everyone on here a very Happy and Healthy New Year. 

Keep up the good work.  I have managed to dig a model out of storage and will do a bit on it tonight hopefully along with a Loco.

All the best

Chris

• Like 3

Holy moly Tony that wing looks amazing. :o impressive work.  Making me re think my flap filling escapade. Although you won't see any of mine.

Our hens have been having an egg break for the past few months, since we lost "Belina" in the summer. We were getting one egg a day from "lilly-bell"  then she stopped and now we're getting one egg a day from "Doctor." All very odd. Hopefully they will pick up in the spring. :D

hope you have a lovely flip into 2017.

tanke care Amigo.

Johnny.

• Like 2