The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

30 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Ooh you are awful"

Those Mandy clips. Pure :rofl: Miggers. I'd forgotten just how hilarious the old Emery bawd could be. Cheers for the giggle!

If you're trying to tempt me into something foolish with that incredible second video, well, it worked. I'm going to have a lash at building a working hinge on the Barra. Only the one mind...:banghead:

Tony

• Like 5

:rofl: at Tony's comment re 1:48....whilst trying to roll into cover for the upcoming retaliatory barrage.....

I hope it's not too cold...we're forecast 16F for Friday as a high.....

Oh...and I'm looking forward to seeing how those wing folds turn out...the drawings look great!

Ian

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Now don't I just feel like the rookie making his first deck landing whilst the Admiral is watching through binoculars!:lol:

You're doing just fine Baroness, I haven't had you keel hauled just yet have I?

19 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

How about the new Airfix 1:48 Scimitar that they are going to release next year..............if I keep saying that then one year it will come true!

I would drop just about anything for one of those! Hang on, that didn't come out quite as I intended, or did it?

Martian

PS: Can we have an emoticon for keel hauling please?

• Like 2

Great stuff Tony - and now a folding wing? Gripped!

I love the comment on 1/48 and have stored it for future use when people (you know who you are!) try to tempt me, too soon, to 'the dark side' :)

That Mustang is amazing. I followed the video to YouTube and he's got it flying (earlier this month) by enhancing "the Rabbit radio receiver to include 3-axis gyro stabilisation." Crikey.

Here's a link to the model flying "at a scale speed of Mach 3". Don't blink!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, limeypilot said:

:rofl: at Tony's comment re 1:48....whilst trying to roll into cover for the upcoming retaliatory barrage.....

Agreed, most excellent Tony! 

Most excellent too, is the ongoing progress on the one true scale Barracuda - great stuff! But a working wing fold hinge....:mental::hypnotised:

Keith

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

That Mustang is amazing. I followed the video to YouTube and he's got it flying (earlier this month) by enhancing "the Rabbit radio receiver to include 3-axis gyro stabilisation." Crikey.

Here's a link to the model flying "at a scale speed of Mach 3". Don't blink!

Crikey is right! That video made me weep with envy. I can't even fly like that (nothing near, even with something visible to the naked eye), let alone build it. Makes me want to give up. That gent really knows what he's doing.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I hope it's not too cold...we're forecast 16F for Friday 

It's 3 F in Chicago. That's negative sixteen degrees celsius, the temperature of the Ninth Circle of Hell in Dante's Inferno.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

It's 3 F in Chicago. That's negative sixteen degrees celsius, the temperature of the Ninth Circle of Hell in Dante's Inferno.

That's why I don't live in Chicago...or anywhere else in North America further North than I already am! Average for December in Eastern Mass. is 41F! I lived in Florida for 7 years, people would put jackets on if it got less than 70! I guess it's what you're used to!

Ian

Ian

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

That's why I don't live in Chicago...or anywhere else in North America further North than I already am! Average for December in Eastern Mass. is 41F! I lived in Florida for 7 years, people would put jackets on if it got less than 70! I guess it's what you're used to!

My wife lived in Florida for the same amount of time, and I always hear endless carping from her about how people in the midwest don't know how hard Florida winters are. Oh, we do. That's why we hate Florida.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Rather appropriate for this thread (among other things) Dick Emery was chairman of the Airfix Modeller's Club.

No way Tomo! Was he a modeller himself?

18 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Oh...and I'm looking forward to seeing how those wing folds turn out...the drawings look great!

Thanks Ian :thumbsup2: I always like to draw the tricky bits to get a sense of shape and space beforehand.

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You're doing just fine Baroness,

I like that. Seriously. It's the season of the Panto Dame so I shall sign myself Baroness Mandy for the festive period.

I would drop just about anything for one of those! Hang on, that didn't come out quite as I intended, or did it?

'I would drop just about anything'

'That didn't come out quite as I intended'

Ced? Over here when you have a minute please? Fnaaring required.

Can we have an emoticon for keel hauling please?

I'll see what I can knock up in all this spare time I've got! :pipe:

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

But a working wing fold hinge....:mental::hypnotised:

Agreed. Double :mental::hypnotised:. But some poor fool has to try it...

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

It's 3 F in Chicago.

Tweed knickers weather...

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I lived in Florida for 7 years, people would put jackets on if it got less than 70!

Turqoise or lavender ones. I saw it on Miami Vice....

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I always hear endless carping from her about how people in the midwest don't know how hard Florida winters are. Oh, we do. That's why we hate Florida.

Don't worry. It'll be underwater soon anyhow.

A modicum of progress to add. Building up the rear part of the wing fold mechanism that the dive brakes fit onto:

30854317973_a573ed9007_c.jpg

Exciting eh?....No. Me neither, but it can't all be the life of a glamorous surgeon.

The end plate of the wing that came with the kit was increasingly annoying me so I ripped it off earlier and built my own version (you can compare it to the maintenance drawing I posted a page back) with more accurate detailing on those openings:

31291595460_b0c3da3685_c.jpg

That's enough excitement for one night. I don't want  to over-tax some of the older fellers. I 'm off to my youngest's school play in an hour up at the community centre, an apparently rambling Ibsenesque work that combines the Nativity with some caricatured union activism threatening the festivities. Personally I'm more in the mood for flopping down with some cider to watch Bad Santa, but as a doting parent etc..

Now what would be the most nonchalant frock to wear?

:bye: Baroness Mandy

• Like 9

Just now, TheBaron said:

Don't worry. It'll be underwater soon anyhow.

Indeed. Much of Louisiana already is, good riddance, to the point where the state looks quite different from its depiction on most maps.

louisiana_boot.jpeg?1471544663

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Indeed. Much of Louisiana already is, good riddance, to the point where the state looks quite different from its depiction on most

That's a truly extraordinary graphic Edward. Looks like even the Corps of Engineers don't have an answer to that one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

That's why I don't live in Chicago...or anywhere else in North America further North than I already am!

Pretty sure Chicago is south of Cape Cod.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Why Ed,what's wrong wiv Louisiana(for us yokels that don't live in the U.S)?

I'll forebear to comment out of respect for any Lousianans who may be gracing this forum with their presence. But they did elect this guy to their state's house of representatives (not to be confused with their US representatives in Washington, DC) because he promised the district lower property taxes. 

• Like 3

Excellent work. Even if I can't get to the bench myself I can watch you guys build stuff. :lol: folding wings you say, :hmmm:interesting Mrs Bond, very interesting. I'll be watching with great interest. :smartass:

Take care bud.

Johnny no time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

It's the season of the Panto Dame...

Oh no it isn't! Almost twelve o'clock and still no sign of Dick... 

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

As the actress said to the Bishop, fnaar fnaar. Look behind you! (Glad to oblige m'lord)

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Tweed knickers weather...

Indeed, winter drawers on...

Right, having done my bit (titter titter) I can comment on the model. Nice re-make of the end plate and that green triangle thing looks, er, what is it again?

PC that map's scary. Was the 'lost' land originally reclaimed do you know? I've been to Louisiana, OK just New Orleans, and it was a bit, er, run down except the tourist areas. We had a speech from the mayor about the floods etc - what a guy. i guess relying on the levies without maintenance was, in hindsight, a bit of a mistake but I hope the insurance company's lawyers have finally found someone to blame so that some people (who could afford insurance) can get their homes back. Or afford to move. He certainly had some strong words about the 'United' States and how much can be achieved when you stop waiting for help from elsewhere and start helping each other. Inspirational.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I dated two women from Lousiana

Shouldn't have qualified that statement - you lost a chance to build up an unrivalled air of intrigue and mystery....:devil:

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Might it be a plan to fit some sort of spar to stop the wing flexing and starting the joints.

A capital idea Admiral Martian. It shall be done!

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Pretty sure Chicago is south of Cape Cod.   :)

Only until the geomagnetic field does its next polarity reversal. Enjoy it while you can...

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

Why Ed,what's wrong wiv Louisiana(for us yokels that don't live in the U.S)?

Steady Miggers. Procopius is currently struggling in his online audition for the Louisiana Tourist Board. This could send him over the edge...

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

But they did elect this guy

That bloke's Wikipedia photo is seriously disturbing. His face looks like the midway point of a morph sequence and isn't that of a single person at all.

49 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I'll be watching with great interest. :smartass:

Like they watch those unfortunates who go over Niagara in a barell...

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, CedB said:

As the actress said to the Bishop

Job done Ced. Thanking you.

47 minutes ago, CedB said:

that green triangle thing looks, er, what is it again?

Illuminati business. You saw nothing citizen: move on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'll forebear to comment out of respect for any Lousianans who may be gracing this forum with their presence. But they did elect this guy to their state's house of representatives (not to be confused with their US representatives in Washington, DC) because he promised the district lower property taxes. 

As Boss Hogg would say "Them Dookes,them Dookes"

• Like 2