The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

23 hours ago, abat said:

The Fairey company certainly produced some incredibly interesting aircraft. I just noticed the "cubby house" downstairs below the wing. Did they take fare-paying passengers down there?  

Early RyanAir. Check-in was fine but disembarkation a terror...

22 hours ago, stever219 said:

I believe that one person on seeing a Barracuda for the first time with wings folded asked if anyone had been hurt in the crash.

I think that both Fairey and Blackburn are sometimes unfairly excluded from the canon of English Surrealism.

22 hours ago, 71chally said:

I'm just dismayed that Tony didn't go for doing the even prettier post-war variants,  the Tweed powered Spearfish brain worm failed as wel!

:rofl: I have two teenage sons, hence now impervious to brain-worm activity. The theme-tune to BOD however is impossible to shake.

Tweed Barracuda ? Ooo-zes style...B)

22 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

Seems to have rather more parts than I remember from Frog

Quite EJ. :thumbsup2:

Frog

Sorry everyone! Meant to say Not-Safe-For-Breakfast....:wicked:

Seen from certain angles, that wing-fold has a Modernist energy and elegance that should have ensured one on permanent display in MoMa:

Folded.JPG

It's almost enough to make a chap try something daft...

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Crikey I'm late! Sorry chaps, I'll just slide in at the back... :)

It's ok Ced, we kept a seat in First Class for you! Glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup2:

21 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hear, hear! 'Tis a beautiful bird. The coffins under the wings and 1970's TV ariels on the tops of the wings in the photo above only prove its adaptability in the field.

I love it, but must research it more. I would buy the designer a pint for sheer individuality.

Difficult not believe that a tyro Professor Quatermass advised Fairey on aesthetic issues...

Almonds, not hundreds and thousands Tony, sometimes cherries on top. Hundreds and thousands would have been nice :) . I estimate those Sherry trifles would have been around 3000 calories a serve. So very, very, good indeed :heart: .

Your Nan didn't by any chance make brawn out of the leftover roast meat did she?  Tongue sandwiches for afternoon tea (with Colman's mustard)? Followed by hot tea, scones, biscuits and then 'boiled sweets'? Butterscotch, Glacier Mints and Pear Drops were favourites.

3000 calories was the normal recommended serving accrding to Ministry of Nosh guidelines. Them was in the days of course when we still walked to school instead of being ferried 100yds down the road in a Chelsea Tractor by a Yummy Mummy on an iPhone.

Brawn! Yes! Ghastly stuff.:sick: She also did Pigs' trotters for my Great Grandad, as well as Tripe. And you wonder why I use body parts in my aircraft-building: Nan would be so proud....

All         That       Food.

You forgot the obligatory three pints of Double-Diamond and a meat-pie at lunchtime down the boozer. Or those curly cheese-sandwiches you used to see in a glass cabinet on the bar, next to the pickled eggs...

21 hours ago, 71chally said:

I'm sure there is a shot of these with portholes (you can just make out the circles here), to give the feel of luxury travel.

I frankly don't know which would have been worse James - being nestled in something that small in flight, or being able to see how high you were in it! 

I suspect the shape and size of those containers reveals a folk memory buried deep in the British psyche, that persisted long after WWII:

928c2548aeb99c2b6b8e27f44d524071387b21c7

In this photograph the central under fuselage payload is also interesting; it isn't a torpedo and doesn't look like a bomb.

It contains a supply of good Gin to keep the passengers quiet - pipes went up into the fuselage and out along the wings to convey the spirit. Barracuda navigators referred to it bitterly as the 'aerial optic', due to the fact that they sat right over it but no pipe ever came up to them...

16 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Oh no you're not!

:thumbsup2: I reiterate my comments about Modernism and Beauty. Besides, I'm not going to argue with my helicopter instructor! :winkgrin:

15 hours ago, 71chally said:

With the canopies, the kit ones should be excellent if the 48th scale version is anything to go by, the framing is really nicely defined which might give them the edge over the vacform ones.

Just read Crisps thread on his 48th build, superb work and photos there!

I'm going to dip the canopies in a bit, but suspect you might be right on the SH having more-defined / satisfying framing James.

Do you mean Crisp's Barracuda WIP? I only discovered that a night or two back and have been taking copious notes.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I'd seen some - but not all - of those Chris. Thanks for passing that on - these go straight into the file! :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

:whip:

Sorry Crisp, you walked straight into that one!

Martian

Keep him going Martin - I need more Barracuda material to copy!:winkgrin:

Which reminds me: on with the Barry Fairracuda Show...

Having had the morning off, a little progress to report over lunch. I'd promised some dry fitting, so here is the evidence of what is shaping up to be a tidy little kit.

First up - Battle of the Canopies, Falcon v. Special Hobby dipped in Klear:

22_zpsrhjdo8sk.jpg

Special Hobby on the right - it's appears optically superior to the Falcon offering but I want to check both against photos later, in order to see which one has the most acceptable raised-detail on the framework for this scale.

Fuselage: 

23_zpsuxom7tw3.jpg

24_zps8zockcce.jpg

Both top and bottom go together quite nicely, though some slight gaps visible as you get close to the arrestor hook region along the undersides.

Nose:

25_zpsdg568du1.jpg

Decent enough! A little attention probably around the lower bulbosity but that's all I think.

Wings:

26_zpsdvdshdyl.jpg

27_zpsr0c7ycee.jpg

These seem the business all-round, including laying down a good basis for some work in the wheel wells.

Wing/Fuselage interface:

28_zpsbcaaszpt.jpg

29_zpsooftvtnr.jpg

Again, no complaints. The fits seems good with only a bit of attention needed. I do feel that it might be necessary to add a modest wing-spar however, due to the fact that the wing and fuselage only join at the surfaces (if that makes sense?).

Tailplanes:

30_zpsf1qxn1v1.jpg

31_zpst813ltnk.jpg

Each of these comes in a single moulded piece. The fit is generally flush, but if I'm going to be deflecting some of these control surfaces later, I might need to look at securing this region a little more robustly.

First impressions then are particularly favourable regarding major fit issues. In fact any issues are likely to be self-inflicted, eg. I've got one of these on order (from Kentucky of all places...):

Aeroclub%20E053%20Merlin29nh.JPG

Don't point out to me that John Aero has his own thread here for parts. I only blasted-well noticed that last night...:doh:

It's been most Autumnal at Baron Acres the last few days:

23_zpsbndtsqwg.jpg

Despite the seasonal appearance, there's a Verbena that is simultaneously shedding leaves and putting out blossom at the end of the garden, whilst this character appeared out by the woodshed - November Peacocks?

butter_zpsdicmuqax.jpg

We've also a tame Robin - 'Robby' - who accompanies us everywhere when working outside. He's part of a larger Robin family that have been rearing generations of redbreasts in the garden for the last 2-3 years: he is a most friendly and song-full creature. About a month ago he sat on a branch by the shed at head-height - only a couple of feet away from myself and Mrs. B -  and sang to us for about 5 minutes non-stop. It was a moment in which with world seemed to pause for his magic:

robby_zpszqkxhove.jpg

:bye: Tony

• Like 18

Lovely little fella! We've had one appear in the garden for the last couple of weeks, which cheered me up as for some reason we haven't seen any for a few years now. He's a little more reticent than yours but is always hiding somewhere close by, singing away when I'm filling the feeders of a morning! I do like your 'Autumnwatch' piccie too, & that stunning flutterby!

I'd vote for the SH canopy, surely be easier to fit?

"....due to the fact that the wing and fuselage only join at the surfaces (if that makes sense?)." I think 'butt join' is the accepted terminology...!! :D

And for some reason the forum is playing silly beggars as it's stopped sending me e-mail notifications to this thread. All others seem OK, just not this one!

Keith

• Like 3

A superb edition of the Fairey Barracuda Show Tony :thumbsup2: !

Double Diamond, Cheese Sarnies, Pickled Eggs (yum), Bod, Gin, Tin baths, Steptoe and Son, Surrealist art, a light sprinkling of bombs, a nice crystal clear canopy competition, and to finish it off a beautiful full colour nature, butterfly and bird watch segment, on an interluditory par with the 'Potters Wheel' :) .

BM top stuff!

This kit looks very good. The Frog 🐸 is partially built in my 'worry kit' area. Now I worry it will be a worry kit for good. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, the worry kit's to stop me worrying after all. As I have no worry balls :confused: .

It's not a bad old thing, the Frog 🐸. Possibly buying one of these Special Hobby kits and donating body parts to grandad Frog from it, would help grandad look better; less froggy and more Special?

FrankenFairey. 

I strongly suspect I'm losing my mind.

Erm, just off for a nice quiet lie down with some Dad's army DVD's. Poor writer died you know..   :blah:  :mental: .

Before I strap myself in and attach the 'Tens' electrodes; Really what is that under fuselage cylinder in the paratroop carrier variant photograph? I'm intrigued.

Just nailing my socks to the floor..,

Do you think they were allowed wax crayons and colouring books, or Rupert the Bear Annual Origami plans in those carrier pods, to help them stay calm?

I really think my electrodes are shorting..what's that smell?

Best regards,

TonyT

• Like 5

I'd vote for the SH canopy as well, if it was the Frog Barra then Falcon would be the choice of kings!

Is there a reason for dipping in Klear before painting and sticking etc?

PS that little Merlin looks nice, and does the Falcon set include canopies for those other well known beauties, Whirlwind and Wessex?!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely little fella! We've had one appear in the garden for the last couple of weeks, which cheered me up as for some reason we haven't seen any for a few years now. He's a little more reticent than yours but is always hiding somewhere close by, singing away when I'm filling the feeders of a morning! I do like your 'Autumnwatch' piccie too, & that stunning flutterby!

I'd vote for the SH canopy, surely be easier to fit?

"....due to the fact that the wing and fuselage only join at the surfaces (if that makes sense?)." I think 'butt join' is the accepted terminology...!! :D

Greetings fellow Robin-fancier! :D

Fit-wise, I'd say you're right Keith. The Falcon stuff is so nice that under any other circumstance I'd plump for it no question, but I'm super-impressed by the SH one in this instance.

'Butt join' it is on the wings. (Why do I hear that followed by Beavis & Butthead sniggering...?)

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Really what is that under fuselage cylinder in the paratroop carrier variant photograph? I'm intrigued.

Glad you're enjoying the casual wayward drift of things here Tony. :D I'm still surprised they let me out in the community to this extent....

That cylinder? I've two theories:

1. It contains weapons/supplies for the PBI under the wings and is dropped by parachute along with them. (Gives rise to the obvious question as to how the passengers were dropped-off in the first place..)

2. A mine. Why? Well, the loadout drawing I've got shows nothing like what we see suspended in the 'wing pod' shot - including an overload fuel tank - but it does look like the 400lb mine in this image:

AE77225C-E49B-49D3-B2EB-C4CBF02AB577_zps

I'm unconvinced by (2) however as such a mixed loadout seems bizarre, so provisonally (1) is my best guess.

59 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I'd vote for the SH canopy as well, if it was the Frog Barra then Falcon would be the choice of kings!

Is there a reason for dipping in Klear before painting and sticking etc?

PS that little Merlin looks nice, and does the Falcon set include canopies for those other well known beauties, Whirlwind and Wessex?!

On the canopies James? Agreed. :thumbsup2:

On the dipping? For me anyway, an initial protective layer.

On the Falcon set? A regrettable absence of wokka-wokka items. :violin: I share your pain on this issue...

• Like 4

You are going to need a spar anyway as it is visible through the glazing anyway!

I have quite a lot on all versions of the Barracuda but sadly, due to the building work that has been ongoing at Martian Towers over the last year, Both my files and printer/scanner are not yet accessible.

Martian

• Like 1

Witty replies, wildlife and countryside photos AND a Barra being put together - what more could a man want (answers on a postcard please...) :)

Spar (or spars?) will sort out that butt joint Tony. For the tailplanes I'll be interested to see how you strengthen them please - I always start trying to drill straight holes and then give up and just stick them on with lots of cement and Lego supports.

• Like 2

I've always had a soft spot for the Barracuda, myself. In terms of its appearance, it's rather... quaint. I built the Frog kit aeons ago, and I have the MPM version (certainly looks doable), but I am very interested to see how you get on with this kit. I am tempted to buy it. Best of luck on it!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

My Dad fell out of the Observers window whilst servicing a Barracuda.  The window is supposed to be left latched shut.  As he was working on the electrics he leaned back against the window and exited stage left.  Now the undercarriage on a Barracuda is very long undercarriage and my Dad was 5'4".  He landed flat on his back knocking the wind out of him.

"Can you move your legs?" said the Chief. "Can you move your arms? "Well get back to work and stop bloody idling then"...

He also told me that because he was small he could squeeze under the engine without having to take all the cowling off.  In the event of a hanger fire though it took longer to get out than it did to shut the fire curtain in the hanger...  Not a good prospect for survival..

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Grey Beema said:

My Dad fell out of the Observers window whilst servicing a Barracuda.  The window is supposed to be left latched shut.  As he was working on the electrics he leaned back against the window and exited stage left.  Now the undercarriage on a Barracuda is very long undercarriage and my Dad was 5'4".  He landed flat on his back knocking the wind out of him.

"Can you move your legs?" said the Chief. "Can you move your arms? "Well get back to work and stop bloody idling then"...

My 'like' was for this, not the gruesome hangar fire prospect....!!

K

• Like 4

Don't forget tweed Ced(didn't someone mention tweed?),proper countryside togs and all that like this:

https://www.alanpaine.co.uk/country-clothing/mens-country-clothing/compton-men-s-tweed-blazer-classic-fit

or this,just the job when one's ite shootin' dontcha know:

https://www.alanpaine.co.uk/country-clothing/mens-country-clothing/compton-men-s-waterproof-shooting-tweed-coat-shooting-fit

(guess who has both those garments).

All aboard the Skylark,another exciting dit filled jolly japery of a rather fetching Fleet Hairy Arm Flying Machine,good-oh.

• Like 5

Great update. I concur with the SH Canopy, from those angles anyway. :) certainly looks like that kits going to fly together. (Pun intended)  I wish I had a "chad" imoticon with a "Wot no gaps" placard. :yahoo: looks like you're going to have fun here. Lovely garden and nature shots, we have a family of robins in our garden too. Not quite that friendly though, once a twitcher eh. :speak_cool:

Take care dude.

Johnny robin

• Like 3

On 25/10/2016 at 5:42 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The under-wing parachute(ist) containers were an experiment and were not taken to the front line.  Not surprising!

Thank goodness, I'm still having trouble contemplating the thought. 

Now where's Tony, we need some plastic stuck together. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Witty replies, wildlife and countryside photos AND a Barra being put together - what more could a man want (answers on a postcard please...) :)

Free beer with the thread, simples! Do I get a prize for this?

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

certainly looks like that kits going to fly together.

Now there's the kiss of death if ever I saw it! Those words may well come back to haunt you Johnny.:chair:

Martian

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

Don't forget tweed Ced

Sorry Miggers, missed the Tweed... more into waxed jackets in Bath, don't you know :)

• Like 2

Re the Para pods, Airborne Espionage by D Oliver says (not direct quote) that several Mk IIs were modified to carry the two paratroop containers, the troopers were in radio contact with the pilot who could control the trap doors to drop them over a DZ, while their equipment could be carried in the under fuselage torpedo bay.

The idea was trialed by Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment at Beaulieu, but was not adopted for RAF SD operations.

• Like 3