The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Good points. Now that you've raised it, I tend to think "less is more" with panel lines. I would be happy with your starboard tail plane, and would even back off a bit more

It's a vexed subject isn't it Adrian? I've spent some time looking at today's efforts from different angles and distances and in different lights; it's a different aircraft in appearance in each one! Add to that the difference in contrast and dynamic range between the eye and the camera and it becomes a perpetually movable feast...

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Well, for me it looks marvellous Tony.

I'm still learning about this weathering stuff and your comment that one should aim for "something almost painterly and organic" has struck home... I've been treating the (actually small) physical area of the model as 'one thing' rather than a scale version of lots of big things, made smaller. I'll remember that.

You're using oils right? And taking them off with white spirit on a cotton bud? Were the oils put on over Klear coat? Or coats? 

I'll look forward to the results of the dribble experiment and whether the Gin had a good effect on your glands!

Thank you for that Ced.

You're right, they are oils I'm using and yes only put them on after you've sealed the decals in with a couple of light coats of Klear that have dried overnight (Better two lighter ones than one heavy one or it risks filling up the panel lines). Let the panel wash dry completely, then a cotton bud with most of the white spirit squeezed out to moisten the required regions and a dry bud to remove and blend tones. Some tutorials will tell you to only sweep back in the direction of the slipstream - this may look good on metal finishes but in my experience is unnecessary on camouflage schemes, where a more variegated and irregular pattern looks better IMHO.

As to colours on the panel wash - experiment with a range of grey blues and browns of varying dilution to find something you like. I'm a great believer in avoiding formulas for this given the whole range of paint schemes and operating environments involved.

The 'dribble' experiment on the propellor boss worked ok I think. I'll post some pics up in the next photo update.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

I'm really enjoying your approach here Tony, and the results are speaking for themselves.

Thanks for that Cookie. I'll sit on that progress for a day or so now before settling on a verdict. It's too tempting to leap back in straight away and change things sometimes and then regret acting in haste isn't it? :ike:

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Tony - I'll give it a try!

Good man Ced!

• Like 2

Blimey you seem to have finished an awful lot since my last visit. Mo is looking great (Such wrist watch) :photo:.

The washes you are doing look beautiful, the whole package is working so well together. The decals on the upper wing look amazing against the lovely worn paint effects. 

Bravo sir, I'm very impressed. :Tasty:

John.

Looking mighty fine from where I'm standing, glancing at a mobile phone. 

The whole ensemble looks great to me.

I'm not one for highlighting panel lines too much, in fact some subjects in 72nd are better off without altogether to my mind.

I can't image giving a kit the attention that you do.

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Blimey you seem to have finished an awful lot since my last visit. Mo is looking great (Such wrist watch) :photo:.

The washes you are doing look beautiful, the whole package is working so well together. The decals on the upper wing look amazing against the lovely worn paint effects. 

V. decent of you old sprout. If you can summon up the sinews and paint some roundels on that Typhoon of yours, you'll find it most satisfying. I'm using my car as a template for those 'worn paint' effects btw....;)

22 hours ago, 71chally said:

Looking mighty fine from where I'm standing, glancing at a mobile phone. 

The whole ensemble looks great to me.

I'm not one for highlighting panel lines too much, in fact some subjects in 72nd are better off without altogether to my mind.

I can't image giving a kit the attention that you do.

Sank you ver' much James! It's not panel lines - it's 'military mascara'!:lol:

20 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Good luck with navigating through all the competing schools of thought on weathering! You will know you've got it right when you're happy :)

Cheers Adrian. :thumbsup2: Is it schools of thought or schools of sharks when it comes to weathering debates/disputes/disturbances in the force?:undecided:^_^ In my case I'm trying to stay away from too much deliberation and regularity as I just feel I've been too tight and formulaic myself in the past...I guess I'm critiquing my own tendencies more than anything else....

That said, having slept on the problem I've arrived this evening at an overall variation of appearrances that satisfies me at the current point in time. Dab, smudge and smear on the upper surfaces:

33112690606_3dfb327a9a_c.jpg

That wing's not stuck on yet btw, it's just balanaced on Lego for a test fitting. I'm steeling myself for the Night of the Big Gluing on that bit...

Now a flip over:

33154224565_51a4afa8d8_c.jpg

The effect down here is more wash and bleed against the lightness of the Sky.

How many times have you read in a post someone saying 'I just couldn't resist...'? Well, I couldn't resist a quick peek at the trailing edge fold now it's all painted up:

33154223315_cd6c1589fb_c.jpg

Ya. I'm liking that.

I took a shot of that propeller experiment to show you yesterday Ced and promptly forgot to post it:

32748752100_4ed177539f_c.jpg

As mentioned, a dark oil wash, followed a few minutes later by a generous drip of white spirit onto the nose, letting gravity run it down through the wash  so that it grades the tone nicely back to just darken around the lower edge and points where the blades meet the boss. A mild scuffing once it was all dried with a cut down brush just to smooth out any excessive variation and voila - some quality grime for you.

I want to give that a matt coat of W&N Galeria asap in order to stop my grubby little mitts undoing all that progress, so hopefully by tomorrow evening that will be sealed in.

I get this feeling I'm in motion
A sudden sense of liberty....

• Like 8

A lesson in weathering - great result Tony, especially the 'dribble on the spinner' method; noted.

Marvellous stuff, lovely result, good job.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Excellent weathering Tony, most excellent indeed!

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Beautiful dear boy, beautiful. :yikes:

19 hours ago, CedB said:

A lesson in weathering - great result Tony, especially the 'dribble on the spinner' method; noted.

Marvellous stuff, lovely result, good job.

Keith, John, Ced: My thanks to you all for such continuing encouragement chaps.

Well Ced. I followed your 50:50 recipe with the Galeria and had myself a time:

33042789091_c4355b8990_z.jpg

Being - shall we say a little nervous  - of whisping a varnish on that I'd never tried before, a mule seemed called for as a test. I don't suppose any of ye remember seeing this:

33013889772_ccbf347961_z.jpg

It was the first thing I ever posted on Britmodeller, back in January of 2016. I wince each time I see the ghastly brute (as I hadn't made anything before that since I was about 16), but it has spent the last 12 months fulfilling a slight experiment. It's been out in the back garden testing the effects of weathering for real:

33013889072_b01491d0a1_z.jpg.

We live just down from a ridge line so add a scouring mini-katabatic to the combined effects of frosts, ice, rain and sun, and nature has done a better job than I on those textures and colours. Somebody else on BM was doing something similar with a Vulcan, iirc, which was where I cribbed the notion from. There's a few scratches as well where the chickens have occasionally hopped-up and had a speculative peck - not something usually encountered on N.Atlantic patrols I imagine...

I washed down the end of the port wing and after drying, had a play with pressures and the MAC setting to get a misty spray worked out. 20psi and the valve open only slightly seemed the best combination to avoid 'beading'. I'm delighted at how very pleasingly this Galeria went on. As long as you don't let it pool in any crevices due to lingering too long in any one place, it is fine, and after drying, a pleasing matt-ness is the result:

33013891862_8f7abffbc6_c.jpg

Confidence bolstered, it was on to the main event. 

Spray Misty For Me

33013892522_02b75cfa14_c.jpg

Apart from over-spraying the prop blades and ending up with a few 'dew-drops' that needed wiping down quickly, all is well and drying nicely:

33013892922_6c01283915_c.jpg

I'd added a little lavender chalk in places, just to accent the odd highlight.

33042787681_725167af94_c.jpg

The biggest battle tonight is going to be avoiding the urge to peel off the canopy masking for a look....

Why use Feldgrau when you can use Feldman...

• Like 8

Glad you got on well with the W&N Tony - phew! She's looking really good now, with her lavender highlights... I might try those at the weekend, dahling :)

I must watch 'Young Frankenstein' again, one of my favourites... "Oh sweet mystery of life at last I've found you!" Can't let that pass without sharing the blind man scene - hope you don't mind...

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, CedB said:

Glad you got on well with the W&N Tony - phew! She's looking really good now, with her lavender highlights... I might try those at the weekend, dahling :)

I must watch 'Young Frankenstein' again, one of my favourites... "Oh sweet mystery of life at last I've found you!" Can't let that pass without sharing the blind man scene - hope you don't mind...

:lol: Not at all Ced. There are so many gems in that film that I've forgotten about!

I am most obliged to you for the W&N varnish tip - I've gently micromeshed things smooth and the finish is lovely. Great stuff.

I knew I wouldn't last the night. Here's the masking off the canopy:

33131414126_e6f82b1ab9_c.jpg

I'm really pleased I went for the Falcon set on this for most of the glazing, that and the masking have come up a treat:

32790679840_5754395c68_c.jpg

I definitely like using metal foil now as a technique for 'lifting' certain areas, like the thicker framing at the rear of the TAG's hole. Maureen's office:

33131413276_1a17358af1_c.jpg

I must remember to stick the headrest back on for her!

32790678930_08d9c8cdaa_c.jpg

The sliding bits of the canopy  I'll leave stuck together in their current masked state so that none of them go awol at this stage.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 10

That's looking stunning Tony, especially the canopy and masking, Maureen's gonna love it in there.

"There's a few scratches as well where the chickens have occasionally hopped-up and had a speculative peck - not something usually encountered on N.Atlantic patrols I imagine... " Not something that's run of the mill free range chicken feed either. :) 

It seems to me Baroness that if you built a step ladder and put a photographer taking a picture of Maureen on it, placed alongside a picture of the real Maureen, you would have a very strong entry for the aircraft diorama class at Telford.

Martian

• Like 1

On 27/02/2017 at 7:47 PM, TheBaron said:

That said, having slept on the problem I've arrived this evening at an overall variation of appearrances that satisfies me at the current point in time. Dab, smudge and smear on the upper surfaces:

You'd think that they would paint and finish aeroplanes like this in the first place, would save having to clean and patch them on a regular basis!

Madeline Kahn, "it's twoo, it's twoo", quite superb

gorblimey guv that is spiffing

absolutely treemenduss

Weathering par excellence

Just like dad described a on his Sunderlands when he flew on the Atlantic Patrol from Pembroke Dock

The Cudababe is rather spiffing too Tony

Bl*** marvellous old chap

("Such watch?" quote from the very best cinematic marvel ever. I hope no beggar missed it. Ten extra brownie points John)

;)

• Like 1

Dang Tony, that's a stunner. I'm also fascinated with your 'natural' weathering technique. I've often thought of trying that as well, but it would only require a few days here in New Mexico, before the whole thing was simply bleached white.

It's quite simply ludicrously good. 

Special Hobby are to release ground crew for it.

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/cmk-kits/figures/barracuda-crew-members-standing-3-fig.html

I prefer Mo :)

All the best

TonyT

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Think I need to get a new bottle of Galeria to try, that finish looks spiffing Tony, even little t thinks so! :dinosaur:

Go for it Keith. Using Ced's dilution ratio it went on like a bodysuit on Wilma Dearing.

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Going great guns. She looks ace!

Just got to keep the momentum up...momentum up...<pant>

12 hours ago, rob85 said:

She is looking more than a little bit splendid Tony, very nice work! Your basically finished now aren't you :) 

Cheers Rob. Still a few items on the snag list but they're dropping by the day; I need to spend some time on the neglected Merlin next as there's a brace of details to add around that once it's in.

12 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

That's looking stunning Tony, especially the canopy and masking, Maureen's gonna love it in there.

"There's a few scratches as well where the chickens have occasionally hopped-up and had a speculative peck - not something usually encountered on N.Atlantic patrols I imagine... " Not something that's run of the mill free range chicken feed either. :) 

Fanks Tomo!  With the current bird flu restrictions our fowl are all under cover, so patrols have been unmolested of late.:lol:

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It seems to me Baroness that if you built a step ladder and put a photographer taking a picture of Maureen on it, placed alongside a picture of the real Maureen, you would have a very strong entry for the aircraft diorama class at Telford.

You big sweetie for saying that.:thumbsup: I'm afraid competitions aren't really my thing though; I love pushing myself to see how far I can take the process and that's satisfaction enough in my case. I did once win a plastic commando dagger pendant in a competition in Warlord comic in the mid-70s though. Does that count?:winkgrin:

11 hours ago, 71chally said:

You'd think that they would paint and finish aeroplanes like this in the first place, would save having to clean and patch them on a regular basis!

Madeline Kahn, "it's twoo, it's twoo", quite superb

'Shabby chic' It's the military way...It's twoo!:cyclops:

10 hours ago, perdu said:

("Such watch?" quote from the very best cinematic marvel ever. I hope no beggar missed it. Ten extra brownie points John)

;)

Just in case..:star:

What position did your dad fly Bill? The Sunderland has an affectionate place in my pantheon of flying-boats and it must have been quite an experience scouring the Atlantic in one for hours on end.

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Dang Tony, that's a stunner. I'm also fascinated with your 'natural' weathering technique. I've often thought of trying that as well, but it would only require a few days here in New Mexico, before the whole thing was simply bleached white.

I'm just an amateur weatherer compared to Dame Nature. :DN.M., along with a swathe of the SW is a part of the States myself and missus hope to visit one day. By the time that eventually happens I shall no doubt be considerably more weathered myself!

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It's quite simply ludicrously good. 

Special Hobby are to release ground crew for it.

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/cmk-kits/figures/barracuda-crew-members-standing-3-fig.html

I prefer Mo :)

Cheers TT!

SH seemed to have released an 'idle buggers' trio there. Definitely not the sense of purpose la Dunlop insists on in her crew....

• Like 5