The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

1 hour ago, perdu said:

My missus has been known to reseal the upper layer of a cottage pie with a glaze of buttery cheese, quite interesting flavours result

Going to be cooking just that version for dinner tonight :chef: .

Mrs. T had asked for bolognese, but after reading this thread I managed to get her to change her mind.

If there are any strange pictures of me later, you'll know why :lol:!

TonyT

• Like 3

Bit of a long-overdue catch-up.  My, but the Barra is looking good!  829 NAS - my olde Lynx squadron; I didn't know they were a Tungsten outfit - that's settled the identity of any future non-Dad Barracudas, then!

A question; I have pored over every photo I can find to try to read the stencil just under the rear port corner of the canopy (I think the SH instructions show it as no 20).  You can see it in shots from quite a long way off, but can I read it?  Can I heck as like!

Any idea what it says, just to make a happy man very old?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

What a great decal sheet. From what you say, they're strong decals too?

Absolutely Tony. I'm normally a bit wary of using pointy tweezers around such delicacies but these were robust and flexible enough to give no concern at all. I'll have a look at that SH link as well if all turns out ok in the end...

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I was there looking to see if they have an SEAC boxing. It appears not (yet?). I wonder if there's much difference between SEAC and Home Fleet? I guess it's mainly armament differences.

I know that in tropical conditions the performance was quite poor compared to Northern ones. On p.93 of McCandless' volume it mentions that the performance issue was serious enough to merit replacing the observer's blisters with flush perspex, dumping ASV sets and aerials, radio gear, plus the TAG's seat, guns and ammunition. Presumably they flew without a TAG by that stage!

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Are you sure it was something in the pie, and not the fact that you followed it with a sealing coat of Klear? I never realised cottage pie needed sealing but there you go.....

It's possible the Worcestershire sauce may have fermented into something stronger...:lol:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Great stuff oh Baronial one.

I like to keep the cheap seats happy...:wacko:

18 hours ago, perdu said:

I tend to agree with our alien friend about LIKES for that section

3M = ME

Hmm that has to be today's oddest posting

You'll have to blame the Sabs for the reversal Bill. Live eviL and cheap cider must have done something to my sense of grammar as a teenager...

cover_185172272009.jpg

• Like 6

What's going on today. I keep hitting the submit button before I've finished replies..:doh:

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Going to be cooking just that version for dinner tonight :chef: .

Mrs. T had asked for bolognese, but after reading this thread I managed to get her to change her mind.

If there are any strange pictures of me later, you'll know why :lol:!

I'll try that eip egattoc recipe too - It looks just the thing!

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Bit of a long-overdue catch-up.  My, but the Barra is looking good!  829 NAS - my olde Lynx squadron; I didn't know they were a Tungsten outfit - that's settled the identity of any future non-Dad Barracudas, then!

Smashing.:thumbsup2: I only just noticed this exact aircraft is in the colour schemes section at the back of McCandless.

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

A question; I have pored over every photo I can find to try to read the stencil just under the rear port corner of the canopy (I think the SH instructions show it as no 20).  You can see it in shots from quite a long way off, but can I read it?  Can I heck as like!

Any idea what it says, just to make a happy man very old?

This one?:D

32223495014_d6c8231f74_b.jpg

I couldn't even read that with the magnifier on. Thank Gawd for macro settings on cameraphones....

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

"4) Oh gosh! And attend to Maureen!"

Colour me pickle green with envy. 

Watch this space....:lol:

• Like 9

Home this evening pretty much hollowed-out and definitely not in the frame of mind for anything delicate construction-wise. Nonetheless, I haven't touch  the Barrabeast in a couple of days and am reluctant to let the pace falter away too much at this later stage. So, idly mixing up some panel washes from oils I decided to try a little experiement. Darker for the top:

32966731511_b01ec7a192_c.jpg

More subdued on the bottom:

32966730341_2d8dda805d_c.jpg

The panel wash on the undersides is an ad hoc mixture of flake white, ultramarine, and Payne's grey oil paints. I didn't want any panel wash to be too high-contrast against the Sky scheme. The darker bits are still wet but if you look along the leading edge of the port wing you can get an idea of how light it dries out:

32937716052_336992ef89_c.jpg

The top used  the same mixture as the undersides, cut with some umber wash I used previously on the Sea Venom, along with a little more payne's grey to take some of the warmth out of it:

32278542643_cdccf24a66_c.jpg

I added a little more Payne's grey in again on it's own to do the ailerons and folding seams, to emphasize those regions. That can all dry now as I'm too beat for more tonight and want to assess that tomorrow. I'll do another post tomorrow evening with hopefully as peek at some progress on Maureen. Sorry for the rush...

:sleep_1:Tony

• Like 15

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

...I decided to try a little experiement.

That's very brave, experimenting at this stage of the proceedings! But we think it was succesful, don't we t...:dinosaur:

Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs (or tyranosaurs) bite!

K& t

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

If you aren't in the mood then it's best to take a night off.

Sage counsel Adrian. :thumbsup2: Even obsessions have to have their limits....

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's very brave, experimenting at this stage of the proceedings! But we think it was succesful, don't we t...:dinosaur:

Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs (or tyranosaurs) bite!

Thanks Keithosaurus and Rex junior. TBH the whole thing's an experiment  - it's just nobody's twigged yet! Shhh....don't let on.:lol:

18 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, the washes are just perfect - this is an 'all time' bulid Tony.

Thanks for that Cookie.As it seems to be taking for all eternity you aren't exaggerating.;) 

I left the washes alone today as I'm still pondering what I do and don't like. I meant to add yesterday (but was too tired to add much detail to the post) that the photos only showed the panel lining as I'd splodged it on raw. There's still some 'taking-back' to do - especially on the upper works - but one or two of the bleed effects of the pigment on the undersides are actually attractive enough that I want to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

That said, much of today was taken up with work-work i.e., the stuff that pays the mortgage and the endless supply of milk our lads get through (in how many other houses is having 6 litres in the fridge referred to as 'nearly out'?!), so it was only this afternoon I could scarper to the bench.

I've been irritated by the lack of fidelity that SH put into the bomb-cradle option compared to the excellent quality of the kit itself. Perhaps it was the lack of reference photos for this region that left this moulding vague? The best photographs I've found are those in the IWM archive that I posted the link to previously. Even those however are oblique laterals that don't let you see directly up underneath to the actual release gear itself.

First I set about adding my own cradle that I'd started previously, using the 1600lb-er as a template for spacing:

32984076601_6deaf4b95c_c.jpg

Having added a rear section as well, I began building up some 'representative' (largely fictitious) release gubbins out of scrap PE, wires and tubing:

32954639982_602a0f3992_c.jpg

All I can really hope to do is create something that structurally approximates to what you see from the angle in the reference photos. That said, I may have gone a bit mad on the detail:

32295415883_34d90f1ed2_c.jpg

I actually had to stop myself at that point as it was a weirdly addictive activity.:hypnotised:

Some staining and dry-brushing with successively-lighter layers of Sky has helped calm that area down visually now:

32728476960_49196ddef3_c.jpg

At the end I'm going to thread an empty loop of wire through that which holds the bomb in place. (Though the bomb won't be attached in this instance - sorry John, Health and Safety...)

Intermittently around all these jobs I've been painting the wheels:

32295416983_db530cd94d_c.jpg

I've noticed in a lot of shots of aircraft out on operations - again the IWM has some good ones - that the tyres themselves are frequently pretty rough-looking, with scuffs and drips of fluids and the like, as well as considerable variations in texture and tone due to dirt and use. Those ones above aren't finished but are partway through a process of using successive washes and scuffs of 'Rubber Black' and 'German Grey' to approximate what I see in photos.

Now, Maureen. She's done!

A single intense session that has left me with bad eye strain but nontheless happy with the way she looks. I didn't take any shots of the work-in-process as it was one of those jobs you need to keep the focus and flow going. The process I used was as follows, all paints mixed by eye from Tamiya and  Humbrol acrylics:

1.Green underpainting (you saw that previously) over white to delineate shadows without over-doing the contrast.

2. Warm pinks for skin tones, successively washed over with lighter and lighter mixtures of the same to give her a pale Northern weather complexion.

3. Pale blue/grey mixes built up over her shirt, dark blue/grey washes for her trousers. Black for tie and shoes.

4. Varying shades of umber, subsequently 'mousified' on the high-lights with tan dry-brushing.

The intention was to progressively build up a lightness to the figure (sometimes you see  figures looking too high-contrast tonally at this scale because she shadows are too solid-looking or colours too vivid), then adding a dark wash that can be rubbed off to give a final control-layer, letting you adjust the relationship of shadow to highlight around the figure's contours. Her she is with the light colours overlaid with the dark wash:

32984072411_e55d926b7f_c.jpg

And now after a few minutes' gentle scrubbing with a small stiff cut-down brush to knock back areas of dark tone:

32728478250_18fc8ecaaf_c.jpg

A single silver dot to bring out the watch:

32984074091_440e94a72c_c.jpg

That's all I'm fit for this evening. have a good night all of you whatever you're up/down to.

Pass us lager on t'way out....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

Tony I'm out of lager just now, fancy one of Lidl's bitters?

I'm about to raise one to the delightful Mighty Mo

"Excuse me miss, do you have the time?"

OK you lot, none of that ta, this is a refined lady..

She's the nuts mate

Bomb gubbinses too

Excellent

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Lovely stuff Tony - that bomb gubbins looks great and Maureen, well, what a looker!

Good job Sir, now have a well earned snifter (sorry, too early) stiffener :)

• Like 2

Great stuff Tony :thumbsup2:  

Mo is looking suitably three dimensional. I like that in your builds, I for one get to learn about colours, reflectivity, contrast, lots of aspects of this that I knew nothing about before (all guesswork for me!). Thanks for explaining the techniques and rationales, the art and science behind it.

Makes it very interesting :).

The bomb area is the biz, I'm also completely with you on 'grotty' tyres. I see lots of (still superb) models where there is exquisite weathering, but pristine tyres! Grot is definitely required!

Six litres of milk is 'running low :o??!! It sounds like you might need your own dairy cow, get one of the lads used to early starts for the milking.

Cow bells

:D

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Tony I'm out of lager just now, fancy one of Lidl's bitters?

I'm about to raise one to the delightful Mighty Mo

Cheers for that Bill. That bitter'll keep me going until I can bet back into the Wasp's Nest for a swift one!:cheers:

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Lovely stuff Tony - that bomb gubbins looks great and Maureen, well, what a looker!

Good job Sir, now have a well earned snifter (sorry, too early) stiffener :)

I threw caution to the wind and had a second mug of really strong tea and half a bar of chocolate. I'm  a maverick outlaw rebel riding the winds of limbo and I just don't care....:ike:

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Maureen's looking good!

Ta chook. People often say we look like sisters you know...:cyclops:

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

Nice work mucking up the wheels & tyres as well.

Thanks James. I'm on a personal anti-cleanliness crusade, as evidenced by the execrable condition of my bench and surrounding carpet...

11 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Excellent job with Maureen, she looks great! We shall expect handmade crews in all your future builds......

Ta Ian. That's guaranteed me never doing a battleship! :lol:

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work on Maureen! And the bomb carrier too.

Appreciate that Adrian.:thumbsup2: That reminds me I need to go over some of the release bits with some Alclad 'steel' as well today.

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Brilliant stuff Tony, most excellent modelling all round! :thumbsup:

Thanks Keith. I feel with la Dunlop finished now that I can get me head down on the final run of detailing. I'm still noticing sticky-out bits in photos and wondering at what point it's just getting gratuitous at this scale...

8 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Great stuff Tony :thumbsup2:  

Mo is looking suitably three dimensional. I like that in your build, I for one get to learn about colours, reflectivity, contrast, lots of aspects of this that I knew nothing about before (all guesswork for me!). Thanks for explaining the techniques and rationales, the art and science behind it.

Makes it very interesting :).

The bomb area is the biz, I'm also completely with you on 'grotty' tyres. I see lots of (still superb) models where there is exquisite weathering, but pristine tyres! Grot is definitely required!

Six litres of milk is 'running low :o??!! It sounds like you might need your own dairy cow, 

Thanks for your kind words El Tigre! :thumbsup2:

Yes, I am an advocate of grot (as you probably guessed). It is only the tutelage of the effortlessly stylish and debonair Mrs.B that keeps me in some sort of sartorial order. On one of the first occasions she noticed me before we started going out she recalls I was wearing a pink jumpsuit and motorcycle boots two sizes too large...

As to the cow juice, well both our lads are apparently growing to gargantuan heights on the stuff. Our oldest now towers over his old man at age 16, and our youngest at 13 is not far behind. I presume it's not the growth hormones being transmitted from the cows....

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

Very nice work as ever Tony! Mo is really coming together and looking very nice indeed.

Cheers for that Rob.

I hope to get a little time in again this afternoon. Catch you then.

• Like 6

Some experimenting with material and visual qualities of various regions done first thing. I'll come back to these later when they've had a chance to dry.

The propellor:

32280076154_cc25107133_c.jpg

Curious to see how gravity might help in replicating airflow in the creating possiblesubtle gradations of tone - a black oil wash, let to dry for a few minutes, then a drop of white spirit on the tip and allowed to flow down over the wash. This might lead nowhere - I'm just interested to see if it yields any usable qualities at all. If not it can be easily rubbed off.

varying the visual 'weight' of panel lines and recesses:

32309517883_08e1d120d2_c.jpg

More selective darkening to areas like the handle for folding the wing back, ailerons etc. The undercarriages legs and doors have  had a wash as well now, prior to assembly. A lot of what you see on the upperworks in the above image is deliberately 'over-done' in order to reduce the various effects in intensity, whereas I'm finding the lighter undersides lend themselves more to the reverse procedure of gradually increasing tonal intensities until they reach the right threshold. (Whatever 'right' means for such a subjective value judgement...!)

The exhausts are on now, and only increasing my appreciation of the effects you can get with combining various Alclad lacquers. 'Exhaust manifold' and some 'Steel' darkened down with black in this instance:

32309518793_42dd9e1ea1_c.jpg

Metals underneath:

32280074724_667ecc08a4_c.jpg

I've intentionally added some imaginary lubricant spills and grime in the above, to be reduced back later on: looking at some bombing-up photos of the Braarcuda, the wartime carrier deck looked to be a scuzzy place that I imagine gave areas of high-traffic in and around the fuselage a certain 'shabby chic' aeasthetic out on operations.

Finally some incremental additions to oil washes to the tyres:

32968644482_2b43bbf03b_c.jpg

Although the incremental approach is laborious, I feel it does pay dividends in the level of control and opportunity to asses progress in more than one lighting condition - it's easy to get tunnel vision under the bench light and then have a shock at the effect that  raw and paler daylight can have. 

• Like 8

Some time later...

It's so incredibly dark here today. The light levels haven't altered perceptibly since about 8.30 this morning and the ground is sodden with all the continual rain we've had in the last 24 hours. It is turning out to be one of those days where your pineal gland is maintaining a strict 'sorry, you're not waking up any more than this today' policy and leaving you craving a glowing lamp, a cup to tea and a book. Nothing more..

I pushed back a little against this lethargy and paid some attention to the upperworks - more specifically reducing the intensity of the panel lines. First stage was a test oon the tailplane:

33126043085_b53ae50b5c_c.jpg

Aside from perhaps having been a little over-zealous with the cotton bud on the starboard one and taken off rather too much for my liking, that's almost there. Having established a baseline for the overall look, it was on to the most obvious features, the wings. Given that having the biggest surface are and any mistakes will be noticeable, I've just concluded today's session by focussing entirelyon getting these to the 'almost'stage as well. Starboard (folding) one first:

32280830214_b5f3614074_c.jpg

A chunk of the wing towards the fuselage on this side is going to be covered partially by the folded-over trailing edge flaps. One the port side I concentrated some attention on getting those folding-bits-that-aren't-folded-on-this-side accented just strongly enough to hint at purpose:

33084273706_51b7efb233_c.jpg

Hopefully subtle enough without making the panel demaracations seem to artifically 'pumped-up' visually.

What's reallyguided me to the above is a flaw in my modelling technique. Up to now at this stage of a build there's been a regrettable tendency for me to turn the aircraft into a diagram through insensitive panel lining. I'm trying to stop myself doing this as much as possible - in areas like the upperworks particularly -  where trying to line-out already dark colours too much results in a kind of tonal 'arms-race' that generates unrealistically dark lines.

If anything in the above shgots I want to suggest something almost painterly and organic as the eye travels over the surface, rather than something feeling geometric and deliberate. At the end of the day this is something quite small in scale, trying to present an illusion of a larger thing that had surface relief and colours that were subject to salt water, slipstream, extremities of temperature and rough handling, all of which processes were cumulative and superimposed on each other repeatedly during operations. Only now is the penny really dropping for me that a single brush stroke using single colours in a single pass is not going to produce something to mimic this to any degree that satisfies me in my work.

I'm going to mull those effects over for a day or so now before making any further adjustments - I'd be only too happy for any criticism regarding what you think yourselves of the current appearrance of those upperworks.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend all of you. I'm off to see if pouring gin into a pineal gland can offset light levels. Because 'science'.

Tony

• Like 7

Well, for me it looks marvellous Tony.

I'm still learning about this weathering stuff and your comment that one should aim for "something almost painterly and organic" has struck home... I've been treating the (actually small) physical area of the model as 'one thing' rather than a scale version of lots of big things, made smaller. I'll remember that.

You're using oils right? And taking them off with white spirit on a cotton bud? Were the oils put on over Klear coat? Or coats? 

I'll look forward to the results of the dribble experiment and whether the Gin had a good effect on your glands!

• Like 3