The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

5 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It's always interesting to see how many stencils you can see on the pictures of the real thing. If I can't see 'em, then into the spares box they go...

Regards,

Adrian

Sometimes even if I do see them!

• Like 9

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The paint finish looks really good. They may have driven you bonkers, but those stencil decals really add a lot to it.

Thanks TT. They really do! I was a little overwhelmed by the sheer number but I have to say the quality of these decals is just superb. Really, they are just lovely to work with -  no matter how small the piece concerned they remain supple and strong whilst you're working them into place, plus conforming beautifully with Microsol. 

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Regarding what you were saying about the e.g. US markings, this company's products are good (Maketar). I haven't used the US one, but I've had a dabble with their 'swirl' etc, 'Nose Cone Masking Set' for aircraft spinners, here's one of their 1/72 aircraft pages;

Super. I thank-you for that. Some US ones are going on to my shopping list for next month. I think Ced sent me a link to their stuff on the Hannats site but I was a little disappointed with the selection there - it makes sense to buy these from source. Now all I need is to find someone who does FAA and US lettering masks in 1/72...

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I have a similar problem with rye and ginger ale

I can be pretty rough with a glass of milk some evenings though.

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

There was at least one Polish Spitfire with "please wipe boots" on the cockpit door, in a very official-looking Polish language stencil.

I lived in Krakow for a while in the mid-90s and the guest house that I was staying in (an ex-communist party dacha-style residence on the edge of the city) had parts still covered with official signage, including the bathrooms. Answering the call of nature was like trying to go in the middle of Checkpoint Charlie - quite intimidating.

45 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It's always interesting to see how many stencils you can see on the pictures of the real thing. If I can't see 'em, then into the spares box they go

Too late for me! I gorged on the sheet. Full marks to the Special Hobby people ( or is it Eduard that did the decals for them? I think somebody mentioned it on here at one point?): I couldn't stop myself such was the quality.

Decalling's not the most exciting thing to watch so I just took some representative shots at the end. Aside from four small bits to go onto the wing fences, the decals are now all done:

33037101945_d79971ea6f_c.jpg

I made one mistake, which I shalll have to live with. At the end I wondered why there were two sets of squadron codes given for each machine - in this case 4A - and that there was a white set left over. Yeah. I know. Obvious in hindsight:

33037103895_0c7505aae0_c.jpg

Because you put the white down first and then the (slightly smaller) red ones on top so that they have a white outline.:doh: Oh well. This will have to suffice as a rare 'in-theatre' re-paint done on Victorious squadron codes prior to the raid to confuse Tirpitz by the absence of white outlines. Judging by the success of the mission, it worked!

I'm annoyed with myself, but not overly so, given the sheer quantity of decalage on this bird. Top marks to SH for even including red dope patches to go on to the dinghy release cord - they really have gone to town on the visual detail provided OOB.

33037099915_b7b9c84d04_c.jpg

That can all settle tonight prior to a sealing coat of Klear. The next two phases are:

1) Add the undercarriage and bomb release gear.

2) Weather and blend.

3) Adding all the outstanding parts from the snag list (some needing to be scratched up) to engine bay, cockpit.

4) Oh gosh! And attend to Maureen!

Possibly another fortnight at least due to work commitments intruding....

Night all!

:bye: Tony

• Like 14

Very nice work Tony - she's looking more realistic every day. 

Decals on top of decals? What is this madness? I'll have to look out for that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I lived in Krakow for a while in the mid-90s

So did I. 

Are you familiarly with the Hotel Pod Różą? Nothing but dark, huge wooden radio sets playing very sombre soviet classics at the time. 

Chopin was (and always is) a very welcome relief.

Tis a small World.

That was the time period when two economies were running at once, and it was easy to find oneself with a few million Złoty. Fascinating times.

Also spent time in Katowice. Much intrigue with a fascinating young lady ;). All very hush hush.

Apologies for OT. Wonder if we passed in the street. Or jostled to music in the Renaissance square :D? Nice amber jewellery for a very good price back then.

All very Harry Palmer.

All the best 

TonyT

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Very nice work Tony - she's looking more realistic every day. 

Decals on top of decals? What is this madness? I'll have to look out for that...

Thanks Ced. Yes, it's easy to get blindsided by that little beauty. Ah well, water under the bridge...

37 minutes ago, 71chally said:

When are you going to glue that other ruddy wing on!

:lol:As late as possible knowing my clumsiness! At least after I've run out of things to add that need me to keep turning the plane over and about...

36 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

So did I. 

Are you familiarly with the Hotel Pod Różą? Nothing but dark, huge wooden radio sets playing very sombre soviet classics at the time. 

Chopin was (and always is) a very welcome relief.

Tis a small World.

That was the time period when two economies were running at once, and it was easy to find oneself with a few million Złoty. Fascinating times.

Also spent time in Katowice. Much intrigue with a fascinating young lady ;). All very hush hush.

Apologies for OT. Wonder if we passed in the street. Or jostled to music in the Renaissance square :D? Nice amber jewellery for a very good price back then.

All very Harry Palmer.

Hey, what do you know. You too? It was late '95 I was there. I was quite skint unfortunately and spent most of the time hanging around GalerieBWA in the centre of the city, where I was working. My memory of Krakow's topography is compromised by the copious amounts of (honey-flavoured) vodka which generally started at breakfast time and proceeded at regular intervals throughout the day.

Polish women. They are a most incredible species. Some of the most graceful and stylish women I've met anywhere. My favourite memory is of one young lady who confided late at night: 'Yes I am married; but not always....' A most sophisticated country...

Like yourself I've fond memories of just walking amongst the Krakow crowds at night, lurking in cheap restaurants like long dark halls (I seem to recall the steak tartare with sardines mashed in was delicious, I practically lived off it) guzzling piwo and chain smoking cheap cigarettes until they swept you out about 3am. 

Yes. Very Harry Palmer. Would we have passed in an alley like two operatives doing a 'brush-by'?:lol: I kept a journal of whole time there, sensing it was a temporary period and that much would change in that country. I must dig it out.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Polish women. They are a most incredible species. Some of the most graceful and stylish women I've met anywhere.

I agree Tony. More stylishly presented than Parisian women, often in outfits completely hand made by themselves. I was there in early to mid 1996. Warsaw, then Krakow, then a few places in Upper Silesia; an extended stay in Katowice.

For me it was research, looking at how the release of extensive property records (by the former Soviets) was causing quite a stir. Many descendants of those that had originally owned dwellings in the city (pre WWII) were arriving from e.g. the USA, and trying to reclaim properties that by then, may have been home to two generations of altogether another family. Business premises were an even more complicated concern.

Situations that needed delicate and compassionate handling, especially in the once ghetto areas, for quite obvious reasons.

A profoundly beautiful city. So much history, understated strength and dignity. 

In my case also a missed opportunity with an exceptionally lovely and intelligent young lady; caused by a missed letter, nothing more :violin: .

The vodka! Polish pure spirit served in brown paper bags from behind the counter, or perhaps Bison grass vodka (Żubrówka)? Don't know about putting hairs on the chest, more like it sizzles them off :hypnotised:!

Any Polish BritModellers will probably be having a good chortle at us reminiscing, but we're very fortunate to have spent time there. Your journal will make fascinating reading :).

All good inspiration to model a few PZL and RWD subjects :pilot: .

All the best

TonyT

Harry Palmer Ipcress File

• Like 8

Do you know what?

This had already become more than a rather scary FAA build but recent developments have given rise to my eternal admiration for you guys who had "The Polish Experience"

I know

Colour me jealous

"But not always"

Classic

• Like 4

Ditto to what Bill just said!

Tony, that 'Cuda is looking very special, even in it's current kit of parts state. When you put it all together it's going to be a gem!

I'm currently toying with the idea of buying the xtradecal sheet as I quite fancy doing the post war Mk III on it. But irrespective of that, if I use the kit sheet I won't be doing the 4A option - if you want those decals off my sheet to either overlay the ones you've already used, or to remove the latter & re-do, you're more than welcome to them...

Me & him :dinosaur:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

or perhaps Bison grass vodka (Żubrówka)?

A most singular and pleasing flavour. Very Proust.:thumbsup:

Great picture!

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great progress captain, those decals are the bomb. Now where is that ruddy engine? Giz.:christmas:

Tsk tsk. What a demanding bunch they are here.:lol: If you're lucky I may do a quick test fit before it's properly finished. May. Which reminds me, there's some decals to go on the prop blades I forgot about...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Colour me jealous

On a scale of 'chartreuse' to 'crocodile', where are you? :rolleyes:

color-thesaurus-correct-names-green-shad

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm currently toying with the idea of buying the xtradecal sheet as I quite fancy doing the post war Mk III on it. But irrespective of that, if I use the kit sheet I won't be doing the 4A option - if you want those decals off my sheet to either overlay the ones you've already used, or to remove the latter & re-do, you're more than welcome to them.

Thanks Keith, that is most generous of you but I shall endeavour to live with the shame. There's just too much else that needs attention still.

Some of those postwar jobs are most attractive - iirc @71chally was trying to tempt me in that direction initially. I can only applaud your decision to do a Barra yourself and look forwards to seeing it in due course.:thumbsup2:

• Like 3

Chartreuse to Croc?

Nah mate, they're too tidy see

I'm thinking 1950s Municipal Building paintwork, Haggard Green might adequately describe it

Our school doors had it for a long time before the trendy Battleship Grey came early sixties

Mo?

OK are you two?

Or is she still playing hard to bend...

• Like 2

Ah Chartreuse, my very favourite colour option on the 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS. I've been saving up for one of those since they first came out, in 1973 funnily enough. At the moment I have about £30 in the piggybank, which leaves me, oh, just about another £749,970 short. If I can find a cheap one...!! :lol:

K

• Like 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Chartreuse to Croc?

Nah mate, they're too tidy see

I'm thinking 1950s Municipal Building paintwork, Haggard Green might adequately describe it

Our school doors had it for a long time before the trendy Battleship Grey came early sixties

Mo?

OK are you two?

Or is she still playing hard to bend...

'Haggard green' - classic! The building I work in still has undeveloped portions never touched since the 50s and contains a classic array of grim municipal hues. In the modernized sections everything is now painted pure art-gallery white and we receive regular emails from management about how grubby we get the place...

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Looking very impressive Baroness! Have you settled your lipstick differences with Maureen yet?

Just as soon as I can get a sealing coat on the decals in the next day or so I'll spend some time getting Maureen ready. I know you and Bill worry...

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Ah Chartreuse, my very favourite colour option on the 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS. I've been saving up for one of those since they first came out, in 1973 funnily enough. At the moment I have about £30 in the piggybank, which leaves me, oh, just about another £749,970 short. If I can find a cheap one...!! :lol:

http://m.wikihow.com/Use-a-Slim-Jim

75018922.jpg

• Like 4

Good evening Rockers and Bobbysoxers:

Reasons to look at a Special Hobby decal sheet more closely: Pt.2

Fiddling with the remains of the sheet earlier I mused over what this white line could possibly be:

32241862883_ff32630639_c.jpg

That's right. They give you the dinghy release line as a decal as well as the dope patches to fix it in place. Another big tick for SH!

The Flashing Blade(s)

Another of item on the seemingly Sysiphean snag list - finish the propellor as there's some badges to go on the blades. Not as straightforward as it first seems because with an Merlin added to the equation there's a shaft coming from it to the boss, so I need to remove the stub on the kit boss and drill it out to accept it:

32241865353_d4948f00e9_c.jpg

And like so:

33057369665_c09a69d480_c.jpg

Thence to the blades themselves. More SH user-friendliness in that they have a rear cross-section on the stub of each propellor that makes fitting each blade with the correctly-oriented pitch a foolproof task, I don't know if you're able to make it out in this shot?

32930797861_8d8d236e47_c.jpg

The flat end to the bottom goes into the slot in the boss, lining them all up precisely:

33057373255_2a61bf6295_c.jpg

I basically aligned them like this and then capillaried some extra-thin around the sides. Once they'd had a chance to set it was on with the top section and here they are along with the fences, having had the last of the decals applied now:

32930798611_5d76806561_c.jpg

The Lady Varnishes

On gettting home this evening, out with the airbrush after downing a cottage pie and a sealing coat of Klear to keep all the badges safe for the next stage:

32241864213_a26cf42f97_c.jpg

Modelling Sardaukar-style! 

32930799191_793cce222d_c.jpg

Just noticed on the mask how 3M spells 'Me' when viewed in the mirror. Somewhere Douglas Adams is smiling down in benison at such trivial profundity...

Zoiks and jenkies. What on earth did Mrs. B put in the pie? :bye:

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I was liking this post right up to the moment I saw that last picture!

Martian

Was it the Light of Reason pouring forth from my forehead, or the unfortunate fact that the lighting makes it look like my lower face is swollen up red like a baboon's jacksie? :lol:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Was it the Light of Reason pouring forth from my forehead, or the unfortunate fact that the lighting makes it look like my lower face is swollen up red like a baboon's jacksie? :lol:

Well, mostly the bit between your ear holes!

Martian

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Well, mostly the bit between your ear holes!

I had an MRI scan done of that place once. I look oddly like a child's finger-painting on the inside...

• Like 1

I love the section titles Tony:

'The Lady Varnishes'

:lol:!!

SH have put a lot of thought into this kit by the look of it; the self aligning prop blades is a major plus point. I wish more kits with individual blades were like this.

Nice work on modifying the boss.

What a great decal sheet. From what you say, they're strong decals too?

I know you've already twisted my arm on this, but more and more I think my part finished 'Frog' kit is going to remain that way. Maybe I'll use it for a 'ditched at sea' diorama. With just one life raft really showing :thumbsup2: .

Once yours is done I think you should contact SH. They display pictures of completed ones on their website.

http://www.specialhobby.info/2016/12/sh72306-fairey-barracuda-172-built-model.html?m=1

I was there looking to see if they have an SEAC boxing. It appears not (yet?). I wonder if there's much difference between SEAC and Home Fleet? I guess it's mainly armament differences.

Must have been good Cottage Pie to turn you into a happy Cybernaut. Any chance of the recipe :chef: ?

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Are you sure it was something in the pie, and not the fact that you followed it with a sealing coat of Klear? I never realised cottage pie needed sealing but there you go.....

Ian

• Like 2

My missus has been known to reseal the upper layer of a cottage pie with a glaze of buttery cheese, quite interesting flavours result

I tend to agree with our alien friend about LIKES for that section

3M = ME

Hmm that has to be today's oddest posting

odd

ish

back over the water there, that prop is a huge improvement on some you get, and thassafact

Looks good now Tony (except THAT picture)

;)

• Like 2