The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

17 minutes ago, 71chally said:

This thread has lines in it which never would have occurred to me!

You ain't seen nothing yet.  ;)

TBH I do a fair bit of figure-butchery myself, so I have a stash of suitable limbs, heads and so on.....It's like Frankenstein's castle, in Braille scale round here!  ;)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That looks great, you are actually getting a likeness there.....To which end, I think you need to shorten the bottom of her nose very slightly and tidy up the top lip, it's always worth doing at least some of your sculpting with the figure upside-down IMHO:coolio:

PS - Use a fine pin in the wrist joint.....Hassle now, blessing later.  ;)

PPS - Do you want me to look for a suitable left hand in my stash (assuming you don't already have one).....It's a fairly common pose, so I may well have one.  :shrug:

1. You're exactly right about her conk Sarge - her face needs a final tidy to blend in the Mr. S I used on her cheekbones as well.

2. Good tip on fixing the wrist. I'll adopt that route.

3. Thanks for - literally - offering to lend a hand. I'll take you up on that if mine own attempt at :thumbsup2:should fail.

10 minutes ago, 71chally said:

This thread has lines in it which never would have occurred to me!

And it ain't over yet! :D

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

TBH I do a fair bit of figure-butchery myself, so I have a stash of suitable limbs, heads and so on.....It's like Frankenstein's castle, in Braille scale round here!  ;)

Ah. A fellow surgery enthusiast! :lol:

• Like 1

Tony, little T has a question - have you, er, actually attempted to fit Mo in the cockpit, as it would be, um, awful to have done all that work to find she doesn't? I told him not to be so daft, you're bound to have...

:dinosaur: & Keefski

• Like 2

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Tony, little T has a question - have you, er, actually attempted to fit Mo in the cockpit, as it would be, um, awful to have done all that work to find she doesn't? I told him not to be so daft, you're bound to have...

:dinosaur: & Keefski

Hello you two. You should know me better than that by now. Of course I haven't had Maureen in the cockpit.:lol: With the cockpit buttoned-up for painting I've been building her to scale against an existing 1/72 pilot that I know fitted. Here she sits this morning with a fresh hand added:

32795374876_bee404943b_c.jpg

I popped a little white paint on her as well (as the Sarge suggested) to check out surface integrity. To a cursory inspection she seems on the home stretch, though a watch, thumb and tie & collar are required still..

13 hours ago, perdu said:

If she can be made (photos at the finish required) she can be made to FIT

:)

hur hur

Some of the comments in this thread must be giving Google's search algorithms a bad case of the digital giggles....:lol:

No messing about this morning. Mrs B kindly offered to take oor youngest into town in my place so I just piled straight in to painting. I remembered I'd gotten a roll of low-tack tape sometime previously and used this for the camouflage marking. Easy to mark up and cut with surgical scissors:

32712918581_323aab313e_c.jpg

At the last minute I remembered that I hadn't yet mixed the EDSG (from Roy Sutherland's recipe) up. Not having any XF24 I used the slightly darker XF63 with flat blue and added a little more white to compensate. It seemed to work out. Original XF24 at the bottom, EDSG mixture on top:

32795375806_49f68ee5d9_c.jpg

As on the previous DSG session, I scribbled in a lighter version of the EDSG first (about a 50:50) mix with Ocean Grey:

32455672550_18e8698645_c.jpg

Followed by a series of scribbled blending passes with the EDSG itself to draw the surfaces together but retain a subtle mottled feel:

32795377676_d1d9921d49_c.jpg

A cup of coffee later and I couldn't wait to tear the masking off like a kid...

32795378596_ae9607f38f_c.jpg

There's still a rake of post-shading to do in a few place (how did I miss those two unpainted regions of DSG on the starboard outer wing!) but I'm happy with those paint mixes in terms of overall colouration.

32795379236_093f3e0dfa_c.jpg

I'm pleased with the way the metal foil I put over the sliding panel at the rear of the cockpit has raised it to a more realistic level. Surveying that area reminds me also that there is a release cord for the dinghy required at some stage down the rear of the fuselage as well, plus the props to paint. There's a three- and four-blade propeller option in the kit, so this needs checking out to see how that corresponds to the two decal options provided.

32795379996_e6215fe3f7_c.jpg

Also springing to mind in relation to the prop is the not-insignificant question of 'where the bloomin 'Ada I put that Merlin?'. It's here somewhere but with my bench currently standing-in for Paul Nash's Totes Meer (Dead Sea):

N05717_10.jpg

some 1/72 search parties have been despatched to locate the errant power plant. Btw the Tate Gallery has a Nash exhibition on until March if you can get to it. I love his work and am sorry not to get over and see it, though Mrs.B's childhood friend (herself an artist in London) went and raved over it. (Don't you just love people who tell you how brilliant the thing you missed was?:jealous::lol:)

After eyeing-up Ced's natty circle-cutter I took the plunge and bought one as well (I probably mentioned that already; the longer this build goes on the more I lose track of what I've said previously...).It was delivered yesterday - along with some masking sheet - so as part of the next stage of painting I'm going to have a swipe at airbrushing the roundels on this baby. Never having attempted it before I'm <to quote XTC> burning with optimism's flames.....Given their high visibility as an item on aircraft, the roundels in particular are one part that no matter how high quality the decals, have vexed me in my own work. No matter how much Microsolification and blending is involved, the thickness of the film and pristine appearrance compared to weathered paintwork still never convinces me at this scale in the stuff I do, so I'm hoping this will work out as a procedure.

:bye: Tony

• Like 12

I love that paintwork, the effect is subtle but far better than a bland one colour surface.

I'll be interested to see how the roundel painting goes. I just made my first attempt at that on the Muromets using clear masking sheet. Not too impressed with the sheet as it doesn't stick down well even on slight curves. Where it did stick it gave a beautiful sharp edge though....the hardest part I found was getting the circles concentric!

Ian

• Like 1

Ah yes, this is becoming rather nicer now, as a model of course  ;)

the Barra still isn't for me but I know a man as it does for and he's got it taped wonderfully

Mo of course is something entirely else

She's alive

nearly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I am liking that paintwork!

Spasiba Keithski and young T-ovitch! I've just finished tidying up the camouflage on the starboard wing with the DSG so that's me knocking off for the day now.

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I love that paintwork, the effect is subtle but far better than a bland one colour surface.

I'll be interested to see how the roundel painting goes. I just made my first attempt at that on the Muromets using clear masking sheet. Not too impressed with the sheet as it doesn't stick down well even on slight curves. Where it did stick it gave a beautiful sharp edge though....the hardest part I found was getting the circles concentric!

Thanks for that Ian.:thumbsup2: I must take a haul over to your Muromets later this evening and catch up with you there. Good to know about your experience with the clear sheet; I've gotten hold of some of the yellow Tamiya stuff. It seems to be about the same thickness and texture as the rolls of Tamiya tape so I wonder how well it will cut in circles (especially smaller ones) in relation to the fibre of the material?:hmmm:Tomorrow will tell, as I'm determined to take the plunge. And yes, concentricity is uppermost in my mind also..I'm wondering whether to make some kind of transparent scale to overlay on the masking to keep the intervals regular. The last things this already rather unfgainly aircraft needs is squiffy roundels!

5 minutes ago, perdu said:

Ah yes, this is becoming rather nicer now, as a model of course  ;)

the Barra still isn't for me but I know a man as it does for and he's got it taped wonderfully

Obrigado pour that mon old fruit. Estoy cansada ein little bit apres that session und nein mistake.

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

Mo of course is something entirely else

She's alive

nearly

The thighs follow you round the room.....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

Anyone that quote XTC on a modelling forum is da man, "the sea is warship grey"!

Superb work going by 'ere Tony

Our posts must have crossed in the ether. Thanking-you for that James. What track is that lyric from? It sounds suitably Patridgean...

44 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The deliciously titled 'Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her, Kiss Her'

Of course! 

I was listening to a corrected (the original had a reversed polarity on something crucial in the studio desk that made the sound muddy) verion of their Skylarking album only last week. Sounds exquisite now it's been cleaned up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

...so I wonder how well it will cut in circles (especially smaller ones)

Works well for me Sir - just don't press too hard on the blade or you'll not get the circle to join up. My circle cutter only goes down to 1mm (I think) so very small ones need a punch set.

(Fnaar fnaar << to be added above where required)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 71chally said:

...yep, reading that was the highlight for me at work today!

I'm just praying you don't work in Air Traffic Control....:lol:

38 minutes ago, CedB said:

Works well for me Sir - just don't press too hard on the blade or you'll not get the circle to join up. My circle cutter only goes down to 1mm (I think) so very small ones need a punch set.

(Fnaar fnaar << to be added above where required)

Thanks for the lowdown on that Ced. I'm hoping not to go that small the first time out. Fnaar!

• Like 1

On 09/02/2017 at 3:06 PM, Martian Hale said:

It is all part of the wonderful mix of modelling, banter, looking out for each other and general craziness that makes BM the great community that it is. :)

Martian

Ok ,i mentioned in Dec last year that i had shingles on my face and my eye was all swollen shut ,anyone brave enough to look at a photo ?.

I warn you not a oil painting at the best of times.

17 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Ok ,i mentioned in Dec last year that i had shingles on my face and my eye was all swollen shut ,anyone brave enough to look at a photo ?.

I warn you not a oil painting at the best of times.

I mean you no personal offence, but that doesn't seem appropriate  in this particular context.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

You'll be done soon. :rambo:

I thought that myself in late December:lol: Thanks for your kind words sir.

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Love the lively surface you achieve with your airbrush, it's a perfect canvas for weathering.....Do you do dot-filters?  :shrug:

Thanks Sarge. Dot filters? Was that the process I saw you utilizing on your 110 recently? If so then based on the quality of your work, I'm sorely tempted to have a look at that procedure myself. You achieved some really nice effects on that one.

Roundel day today however, so I'm going to need a really strong cup of tea. Isn't that in the Hitchhiker's Guide somewhere? 

I'll report in later how it went...

• Like 4