The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

6 hours ago, perdu said:

It's the wristwatch

I can't wait to see you produce that in proper gold

Jesting apart she really is coming along swimmingly, blimey

The hairdo is nigh on right already

Cheers Bill, glad you like her. I've added some more bulk back into legs and hair tonight in preparation for more carving in a day or so.

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Do you think this set might help future modellers of the kit (I'm not on comission, just interested  ;)):

Thanks TT. I'd noticed that set too but can't say that they appear significantly better or more detailed than those parts supplied in the kit. For previous mouldings of the Barracuda perhaps, but for this one I think they'd be a waste of cash, given the high quality of the moulding OOB.

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Not without a responsible adult present though! Oh, hang on.....

Good work on the figure Tony, she is beginning to look more lie a woman and less like a Dr Who monster, which is more than yu can say about me!

Much obliged Arean ambassador. I noticed your home planet up near Venus in the sky at the moment btw.

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice progress Tony - a bit like Michelangelo, you just need to chip away the bits that aren't David Maureen. Quote here.

Or indeed resort to balloons like that da Vinci lad....

8871bb2e8f28f79b5e92e88a83fb5e51.jpg

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Are those your 'chickens-on-a-lead'?

'fraid not. Though I am trying to tempt Mrs.B into knitting up some vests for the sundry fowl that roam the yard...

Chicken-Vests.jpg

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work on the paint. Looking rather splendid. Mo is coming together really well also.

the wrist watch will actually work right?

Cheers Johnny boy. Try as I might can't quite get the Milliput cogs for the watch to work. I might have to go for the ground crew huddled round a miniature bbq instead as a distraction from this lack:

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yeah, it will, but unfortunately it hasn't been wound since 1944 so it's stopped

Anything's possible. They found 1944 air still in the tyres on the Yeovilton restoration:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=290566171285763&id=264684407207273&__tn__=*s

Amazing!

• Like 5

A quick update over coffee. I've been working - some might say obsessing - over Maureen's hair:

31956630784_b6e3c05b18_c.jpg

So here you have it: Ms.Dunlop's hair by Baron of Mayfair:

31985469313_36e9e0b481_c.jpg

regulation shoulder length of course. There's a hint of a pert upturn on her nose now as well, plus I've thinned down her forearm so that this bloody watch you're all obsessing about can be displayed to full effect.

31956628824_5f906d4113_c.jpg

I doubt I'm capable of any further detail on the face at this scale without some kind of molecular re-organizer, so that's head and hair done now. Next up  is to add folds/creases to clothing, collar and tie. And yes. A watch. I spoil you boys....

BTW. If any of you want to have a look on the Getty Images site at those Picture Post shots of herself from '44 and give me your best guess as to hair colour, I'd be most appreciative. Is this another first for the forum? Advice on hair styling...:hmmm:

Take care til next time mateys!

:bye:Tony

• Like 13

Now we are just being mad, another short break and a catch up and you are scratch building a young flame haired beauty (yep I would go for ginger! or if you don't have Humbrol 301 light ginger nut, then a mousy brown would suffice!). I bow to thee master craftsman, she is quite exquisite especially in that scale. Top modeling indeed!

Bob

• Like 3

She gets better! Personally I would try and reduce the size of her nose slightly. Any chance of a couple of buttons undone to show a tasteful amount of cleavage? No! not you Tony, Maureen!

Martian

• Like 5

19 hours ago, cocky05d said:

What is going on here ,all these photos and videos clip what have they got to do with model making ?:wtf::smile:

It is all part of the wonderful mix of modelling, banter, looking out for each other and general craziness that makes BM the great community that it is. :)

Martian

• Like 5

Great work Tony Antoine, coiffure to the stars. I've just had a happy few minutes looking at pictures of Maureen and found a (albeit colourised) picture here.

Brown is probably typical for her Australian / English parentage? It's also an easy colour...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

and give me your best guess as to hair colour

it has to be mousy brown. Didn't everyone in WWII have mousy brown hair after all ?  I thought only film stars were allowed to be blond and redhead ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

she is quite exquisite especially in that scale.

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Is there an RLM colour for that?

Mo is looking gorgeous, as (of course) is the mighty Barra!

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Coming along super! Like the topsides paintwork too!

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

I am really impressed with Mo, she has to be tiny!! Really nice work Tony, my hat is off...

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Fantastic job on Maureen, she's going to be the "icing on the cake"

Bob, Crisp,  Adrian, Rob and Ian: Thanks lads. :thumbsup2: I do believe I'll be building new eyeballs after this latest adventure though....

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Any chance of a couple of buttons undone to show a tasteful amount of cleavage? No! not you Tony, Maureen!

Ooh. You can be so wounding sometimes! Ah yew sain a've got nowt?

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Great work Tony Antoine, coiffure to the stars. I've just had a happy few minutes looking at pictures of Maureen and found a (albeit colourised) picture here.

Brown is probably typical for her Australian / English parentage? It's also an easy colour...

1 hour ago, hendie said:

it has to be mousy brown. Didn't everyone in WWII have mousy brown hair after all ?  I thought only film stars were allowed to be blond and redhead ?

Ced, hendie. Howay lads, I reckon oor  lass will be a canny brown-mouse then....

I've cut out a little pair of trousers and a blouse out of tissue paper for herself and stuck them on with CA, plus added in a right arm resting on her legout of Milliput. I'll post those shots up in the the next day or so as my head's pounding tonight. I wonder why?:lol:

• Like 5

From the replies here, I reckon you could sell resin copies of Maureen hand over fist. Scale her up to 1/48 and you could be quids in!

Martian

• Like 3

Brilliant Tony....but

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I doubt I'm capable of any further detail on the face at this scale without some kind of molecular re-organizer, so that's head and hair done now. Next up  is to add folds/creases to clothing, collar and tie. And yes. A watch. I spoil you boys....

Now c'mon, if this fella can do it.... and I expect 1/72 scale fly in there too!

Image result for matchstick carving

• Like 6

Oh dear Tomo, you know he cheats don't you?

That needle eye has been opened up to let Betty fit

And very fit she is too.     :)

Like my little mighty Mo here, she's brilliant Tony

Go to the top of the bill mate, now THAT is what Milliput was born for

(Er, who says brown hair is easy?  I put a man and a horse on a Hansom Cab once, brown was not easy trust me)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

..as my head's pounding tonight. I wonder why?:lol:

As long as it's only your head...!!:whistle: :D

Most excellent sculpting Tony, most excellent indeed!

What's that little T ? She looks truly scrumptious....?! Stop it...! :dinosaur:

Keith

• Like 1

Looking amazing. I thought I got railroaded with the Havana, but that's nothing compared to Mo and her watch. :lol:. You are really stepping it up a gear (again). Super work amigo.

Jont.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your kind comments lads.

I've had a really grotty day at work (so few photos) which has really only cemented my intention to get out of the institution where I'm currently employed at the earliest possible opportunity before I too become irreversibly idiotized...

Enough personal woes: 

Your gracious comments were a real tonic to come home to and I thank you for them.:thumbsup2:

I've done a little more on herself this evening. The tissue-paper CA seemed to work ok for the clothes and I've experimentally employed a little Mr.S 1000 to soften a few contours and plump up her cheekbones a little. I couldn't for the life of me get her right arm resting convincingly on her leg with Milliput so 'borrowed' the arm from a Buccaneer pilot, suitably thinned down and attached Frankenstein-style. It looks ok.

32823942335_107e4d244a_c.jpg

I thinned down that nose too Martian - you were quite right, there was something of the Joe Bugner about it before! Dinnae fret over those apparently fat legs and clown shoes, they are the latest additions awaiting reducing in the next go.

32823947215_73af3109be_c.jpg

I've got to take my youngest into town on Saturday mornings at the moment for a tech. course he signed up for but hope to fiddle with Mo again tomorrow a little and get some EDSG onto the plane on Sunday.

I intend doing nothing more this evening than pouring a big gin and taking a trawl round to look at how you've been getting on with your own stuff.

:bye:Tony

• Like 9

That's some cracking sculpting Tony, I am very impressed.  :thumbsup: 

I'd be inclined to source hands and footwear from existing figures where possible, then blend 'em in.....A squirt of white primer and a very thin black wash will help you sort out any last minute imperfections before commiting to paint.  :coolio:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's some cracking sculpting Tony, I am very impressed.  :thumbsup: 

I'd be inclined to source hands and footwear from existing figures where possible, then blend 'em in.....A squirt of white primer and a very thin black wash will help you sort out any last minute imperfections before commiting to paint.  :coolio:

Thanks Sarge. :thumbsup2: You must be psychic -  look who just stuck on some boots nicked from an FAA pilot!:lol:

32443870110_30247279c5_c.jpg

She's got a bit more dynamism in her turn to the camera now now, and enough folds in her slacks for them to now resemble that coarse uniform serge she's wearing in most of her photos:

32701246411_a310b307f4_c.jpg

Mr. Surfacer is a surprisingly friendly way of adding details in with a cocktail stick, like the folded-up cuffs of her shirt sleeves above the elbow that would be too hard to do with Milliput otherwise at 1/72. The left hand and thumbs-up are left to last as you just know she's have been a serial amputee if I put them on any earlier and keep knocking that bit off...

• Like 6

That looks great, you are actually getting a likeness there.....To which end, I think you need to shorten the bottom of her nose very slightly and tidy up the top lip, it's always worth doing at least some of your sculpting with the figure upside-down IMHO:coolio:

PS - Use a fine pin in the wrist joint.....Hassle now, blessing later.  ;)

PPS - Do you want me to look for a suitable left hand in my stash (assuming you don't already have one).....It's a fairly common pose, so I may well have one.  :shrug:

• Like 1