The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

29 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looks very nice to me.  :coolio:

Cheers Sarge. I'm always a bit chary trying new paint supplies for the first time.

20 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I'm about 99% sure it's just hardware store lacquer thinner/cellulose thinner. That's what I use instead, anyway.

Good to know PC, thanks: I'll stick with my bog-standard cellulose thinner for now then.

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post was that this primer absolutely fills your painting space with vapour. Don't even think of using it without a good mask and a well-ventilated space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - Alclad's airbrush cleaner evaporates at a truly alarming rate, even from a sealed bottle.....Ask me how I know!  :unsure:

I feel those words come from the heart Sarge! If it's any consolation there's half a bottle of extra-thin now happily soaking into a sponge on the bench. Teach me to screw the lid on properly  next time...

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

It looks rather tasty with the primer on.

Martian

A liquorice Barracuda no less!

I tap this with a light heart tonight: the increasingly useless and constantly crashing iPad has now been binned and I'm typing away on an Android tablet that cost less than half of that old fraudster. Of course in real terms I'm just exchanging one mega-corporation for another....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I tap this with a light heart tonight: the increasingly useless and constantly crashing iPad has now been binned and I'm typing away on an Android tablet that cost less than half of that old fraudster. Of course in real terms I'm just exchanging one mega-corporation for another....

I am pretty sure these corporations do this on purpose in order to sell more of their products. I was at a friends house for dinner once and one of the guests was a sort of corporate consultant. His breaking the ice gambit was "What is the corporate culture where you work?". To my everlasting regret I refrained from punching his lights out there and then. Interestingly, my friend who was giving the dinner party now has very similar feelings towards him.

Martian

PS: Why can't I find a suitable emoticon for my feelings towards this bloke?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The beast has many faces and no soul (his OS is a bit variable too).  :pope:

The bitter irony is that without the multi-facetted beast you and I would not be talking to each other...Compromised? Moi?

43 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I am pretty sure these corporations do this on purpose in order to sell more of their products. I was at a friends house for dinner once and one of the guests was a sort of corporate consultant. His breaking the ice gambit was "What is the corporate culture where you work?". To my everlasting regret I refrained from punching his lights out there and then. Interestingly, my friend who was giving the dinner party now has very similar feelings towards him.

Martian

PS: Why can't I find a suitable emoticon for my feelings towards this bloke?

Unfortunately such talking sets of buttocks are usually superficial minds with an eye only for the main chance. You can take solace from the fact that 'corporate culture' is just a crass brainwashing that renders them stunted idiots outside of their precious offices. No emoticon could possibly encompass the necessary level of revulsion I feel toward such jerks. I've met a few prize examples in my time and they seem to be so busy copying each other that it's just like meeting the same unremarkable clone on each occasion.

• Like 5

Martian dear fellow

Is there not an emoticon depicting a suppurating pile of excreta which you could perhaps employ in quintuplicate?

Or more? :poop::poop::poop::poop:

Anyway, I am in full accord with the sympathies enjoined around here just now

Corporate culture was what led my erstwhile employers to make me "Unwanted on voyage" and bung me on the heap

Which by a great fortune worked for me for a rare change and improved my entire life style

I am a happy retiree and I doubt if there are too many of us about lately

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You can take solace from the fact that 'corporate culture' is just a crass brainwashing that renders them stunted idiots outside of their precious offices.

Only outside? :hmmm:. Inside too, methinks.

• Like 6

Tony that looks absolutely fantastic!

All those details you have been working on have really come together under such pitch dark loveliness. Can you make another one and keep this one as is?

go on you know you want to. ;)

"The question is how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black"

Johnny tap.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, perdu said:

Corporate culture was what led my erstwhile employers to make me "Unwanted on voyage" and bung me on the heap

I have heard the term 'Core Business' - another pernicious piece of weasel-speak - to my own personal detriment at least three time. Don't get me started. Oh... Oh well... :rant: :angrysoapbox.sml::rant:.

Alex. :sheep: hopes that Little T is friendly and doesn't like sheep for lunch :Tasty:

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Oh. And for the second time this build I forgot to mask the TAGs windows. Back out with the C-thinner once that's all dried...:crosseyed:

Is C-thinner what I think it is Comrade? I.e. Cellulose? And if so have you done this sort of thing before Tony? By which I mean clean paint off plastic parts with the stuff?? If so, did they survive?! Cell thinner (& paint) has a reputation for eating plastic - I once sprayed an unprimed spoiler on a race car model with thinned cellulose paint & watched it dissolve in front of my eyes! I know it's not supposed to be as potent as it once was, but still...

Anyway, the liqourice Cuda is looking rather spiffing! I think part of the problem I had with the Alclad stuff was that I was dull enough to spray white plastic with the white primer. As you say it doesn't at first seem to be covering that well. I thought it wasn't covering at all so kept going - & suddenly I had an amorphous Phantom shaped blob on the bench!! Well, they weren't nicknamed spooks for nothing...! :lol:

Keefski & Little T :dinosaur:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AlexN said:

I have heard the term 'Core Business' - another pernicious piece of weasel-speak - to my own personal detriment at least three time. Don't get me started. Oh... Oh well... :rant: :angrysoapbox.sml::rant:.

Alex. :sheep: hopes that Little T is friendly and doesn't like sheep for lunch :Tasty:

Weasel speak, what a great term for the BS that they come out with. Love it!

Martian

• Like 3

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And if so have you done this sort of thing before Tony?

Ah. No?

By which I mean clean paint off plastic parts with the stuff??

I'm fairly sure I haven't - pray, why do you ask?

I once sprayed an unprimed spoiler on a race car model with thinned cellulose paint & watched it dissolve in front of my eyes

By the Holy Scrottle of St. Dagbard, I'd better have a re-think Keith!:lol:

Rather than turning this into a scene from Aliens, I did a quick test on a mule before heading into work. Not CT, but I tried neat Ispopropyl aclohol on dried primer - it removes the stuff fine:

32498847242_282e33b87c_c.jpg

On getting back from work just now I used the same procedure on the TAG's windows and all is well. My take on Hitchcock's Rear Window:

32651777355_89c6e0fd65_c.jpg

I was having a look at those Marabu landing  lights again earlier: if you're reading this Ced, I noticed that you have to make the reflector bowl of the etch concave - did you anneal the brass before trying this?

I hope your week is going well chaps.

:bye: Tony

• Like 10

Ah George Formby - my favourite is 'My Little Stick of Blackpool Rock' fnaar fnaar yip yip!

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

if you're reading this Ced, I noticed that you have to make the reflector bowl of the etch concave - did you anneal the brass before trying this?

I did! On my Beaufort. Make sure you choose the correct rubber (one for our US friends, titter titter)

• Like 2

Thanks Keith and John. Crisis averted. Until the next crisis.

Thanks Ced. An enviable rubber collection if I may say so.

More liquorice Barracuda action at the weekend....

• Like 2

On 1/26/2017 at 9:02 AM, TheBaron said:

You realise that is better built than any Fairey built Barracuda Tony!

I can't do my full George Formby crossed with Eddie Murphy joke here unfortunately, "turned out nice again didn't mother....r"

ps unsure why there's a quotey box.

• Like 2

Quotey boxes?

Its a plot, they're trying to take over the world

And liquorice?

Mmmm

I likes liquorice, all sorts of liquorice..

Even Barracuda liquorice

Great save with depriming, phewww!

I love how this place can leap blithely into the George Formby Fan Club from aeronautical miseries and mysteries

"They laughed..."

• Like 1