The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

18 hours ago, CedB said:

I've bought this kit and now I think I'll gently move it down the build list...

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Funny you should say that Ced, same thing happened to mine earlier this week...!!

More nice work Tony, glad you at least didn't chicken out on building this beauty...!! 

Don't let me dissuade you lads from the 'unique' experience that is the Fairey Barracuda!:lol: 

In all seriousness, aside from the tail diagonal I noticed yesterday, it is a lovely little kit with excellent surface detail OOB. I dug around the interwebs last night but only really found box reviews that aside from mentioning the issues of the wheels being a little small (Mmm. Barracuda make Barracuda resin wheels...) were generally very positive as well. At least this seems to be the best job until the Airfix 1/48 version arrives....

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Ced's back on form!

Knocking them out like good-o!

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work on those panels and stalks.  looking forward to this girl coming together for a good old colouring in.

btw Those Airfix Helicopters I bought a while ago were all wrapped in plastic too. :lol: mmmmm 80s air.

Cheers Bomber. 80s air...bad dancing at the school disco to The Cure, tabs round the bike shed...jumpers for goalposts..don't remember this track though:

12 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

We're well into silk purse territory now. Your determination and skill are an inspiration.

The only problem I have now is that I keep hearing James Robertson Justice barking instructions at me whilst becoming ever more impatient at my ineptitude.

Thanks for your kind words young Philip. Once JRJ's in your head, every statement becomes a command!

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Great stuff Tony and good to see the Barra succumbing to your skilled hands Sah! 

GrassyAss Ced!:thumbsup2: As Swiss Tony might have demurred: 'Building a Barracuda is like making love to a robust and very well-built woman.' Allegedly

3 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

"What's the bleeding time?" Classic, still chuckling as I type.

Galloping along now Tony. Looking back over all the reference phots on the thread, amazes me how intricate and complicated it is, how it ended up being designed and realised as such too.

Having to take frequent cold showers whil reaing this thread though, all this leg work and kinky Lego 'aint doing my blood pressure any good...

Cheers Tomo. I have this uncanny sensation that new parts appear in the box overnight as well each time somebody puts a new reference photo up on the web...:wacko:

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

feel differently to the others about this kit, I want to buy it and build it! Not push it down the list!

Top man Rob! It's as if the others aren't really serious about modelling at all isn't it?:rofl: 

You won't regret doing it.

I'm off to swab something with Mr.S now before the day runs away on me....

• Like 7

Just wanted to get these up now quickly as time is not my own. The (corrected) tailplane assembly with shortened struts (since taking that shot I've angled them forward slightly so that the attachment point overlays the panel line more accurately:

32323461245_a0239546f9_z.jpg

... and at more more acute (accurate) angle:

32284552356_31d3c0e745_c.jpg

I'll remove all those unsightly hairs left by cotton-bud swabbing later!

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

:tease:

Your antlers need gluing - they're blowing about in the wind!:lol:

• Like 14

This is really galloping along now Tony! The undercarriage looks great, inspired Lego jig work for the tailplanes :thumbsup2: 

This is giving me a furrowed brow; I have the Frog kit in the 'started' pile and wonder if I should bin it and buy the SH, or try to improve it using info from this fantastic SH thread? I'm not sure how accurate the overall Frog shape is :hmmm:?

We certainly like similar kits Tony. I recently bought the Revel Focke Wulf Condor, albeit a later moulding of the passenger variant. Another of last year's purchases was The Bristol Belvedere (some broken rotors in my kit even though it was like new :().

You haven't bought or been considering a Fairey Rotodyne have you? That was another 'childhood dream' purchase last year, along with a Matchbox Privateer....

Keep up the spiffing work young man, I can't wait to see some paint on this!

ATB

TonyT

PS: I bet a Connie or a Herc are on your wish list soon? We might have to try a 'polar buddy build' on those :cold::thumbsup2: 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, CedB said:

"Eye of a hawk, heart of a Lion and the hands of a laydee". Same requirements for modellers (??) For those not in the know:

James Robertson Justice! I'm ashamed to say I know him from Zeta One. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This is giving me a furrowed brow; I have the Frog kit in the 'started' pile and wonder if I should bin it and buy the SH, or try to improve it using info from this fantastic SH thread? I'm not sure how accurate the overall Frog shape is :hmmm:?

Wotcha Tony! 

I've not been overly impressed by what I've seen done with the Frog kit in general TBH, not meaning to belittle people's efforts but there's only so far you can stretch the quality of an existing kit....except if you look at Mr.Prosser's offering in this thread:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Frog_Novo_1_72_Fairey_Barracuda_II_F161_76022__about7463.html

though I suspect his superb photography flatters the kit enormously. I reckon the new SH moulding will give a more satisfying experience all told.

We certainly like similar kits Tony. I recently bought the Revel Focke Wulf Condor, albeit a later moulding of the passenger variant. Another of last year's purchases was The Bristol Belvedere (some broken rotors in my kit even though it was like new :().

You haven't bought or been considering a Fairey Rotodyne have you? That was another 'childhood dream' purchase last year, along with a Matchbox Privateer....

You're pretty bang on the money there! Rotodyne is on the list too! Oh, and a Privateer! :lol:

PS: I bet a Connie or a Herc are on your wish list soon? We might have to try a 'polar buddy build' on those :cold::thumbsup2: 

Psychic I tell you! How does he do it? Polar build sounds good. :) Let's compare notes in due course.:thumbsup2:

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

James Robertson Justice! I'm ashamed to say I know him from Zeta One. 

'British science-fiction comedy'...those words resound across the soul like icy footsteps. Still, with Yutte Stensgard and Charles Hawtrey in attendance all libidos are catered for. 

To my mind JRJ was never finer than Seaman Quist in Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N. No-one has ever assaulted French military personnel on film more finely than he...

• Like 4

On 1/15/2017 at 8:45 PM, The Spadgent said:

Nicely lined up tail there Amigo. B)

That's what swung the judges for me in the South London Male Beauty Awards in 1988...

Glacial and unexciting is perhaps the best way to describe progress thus far this week. It took an unconscionable amount of time to gussy up the formation, navigation lights etc.:

32366683385_aeb9ae7b66_c.jpg

Formula 560 and dribble of Tamiya ET holding those in, in preparation for sand and polish. The navigation light will have a little bit of fancy masking to do prior to paint as there's a small and separate attitude light right next to it. The kit part for the smaller streamlined  recognition light that goes at the back with the formation light is actually ok so I'll add that later  the rest of the kit's transparencies for that region were just too small and fiddly to warrant use IMO.

Doing a quick inventory of jobs still outstanding led me to a couple of irritating discoveries. Guess who forgot to put in the rack-area for the torpedo/bomb release?

32216435342_9467f75597_c.jpg

That yawning gap in the underside couldn't be any more obvious could it?:rant:  The kit instructions note the actual part in Step.8 but it is not shown being fitted at any stage, hence I suppose the reason I overlooked it. To retrofit the missing structure (that portcullis-looking bit beside the plance), the  piece has to go into the fuselage at an angle and be rotated into position to overlap the gap from the inside. A Baronial solution, based upon the same principle involved in patching a plasterboard wall:

32216433612_a693c58b0f_c.jpg

Something (in this case a piece of plastic strip) can be attached as a temporary handle which can be used to pull the insert down towards you whilst the adhesive is setting. Once hardened, you can simply remove the handle and tidy-up with no harm done.

The other discovery I mentioned? I've only lost one of the Observer's windows. Fex Ache!:rant::rant: .When I can summon up the enthusiasm I'll scour the bench, which in it's current state, will be akin to diving a wreck site in search of a piece of glass...

I'm off to listen to something morbid and mood-matching by Peter Hamill. 'A Black Box' maybe.... 

I should feel glad - we got a lovely house booked at the weekend for a week in Dorset in the coming summer, but on this grey and featureless day, you just feel as flat as the damnable overcast.:raincloud:

:bye:

Tony McMoany....

Update a few minutes later. Domestic interlude #5:

Significant Other: 'What's wrong - are you looking for something?'

Self: 'Yes, I've lost the effing Observer's window from the Barracuda!' (holds up bag to show her what the remaining one looks like)

Significant Other: 'Let me see.'

Self: 'You won't find it - I've been looking for ages.'

Significant Other: 'Is that it?' (Holds up missing Observer's window)

Insignificant Self: :blush::shocked::rant::banghead:

• Like 16

A positive note to end on. Proof positive indeed that you can retrofit the release mechanism to this kit if you forget to do it before closing-up the fuselage:

32219070522_7467a56fe0_c.jpg

And the main work on the nav and formation lights is done:

32249240431_4d35ca6970_c.jpg

Polished up, and I'm pleased with the resulting detail:

31526736004_135452080d_c.jpg

First time I've tried this. P in the A to begin with, but as I'm sure you've found out yourself, once the shine and transparency comes back at the end of the polishing cycle, you just can't help a smug grin by that stage. :yahoo:

Night all.

• Like 14

Good save (and clever tip) for the bomb release Tony :)

Good save Significant Other on the Observer's window.

Well-deserved smug grin on the nav lights.

Good day!

• Like 1

I very much needed and deserved smug grin Tony! Really nice result.

as for the significant other, they are good at these sort of things... mine either finds it or when I moan about it the next day tells me she found it and binned it, or hoovered it...

Rob

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Update a few minutes later. Domestic interlude #5:

Significant Other: 'What's wrong - are you looking for something?'

Self: 'Yes, I've lost the effing Observer's window from the Barracuda!' (holds up bag to show her what the remaining one looks like)

Significant Other: 'Let me see.'

Self: 'You won't find it - I've been looking for ages.'

Significant Other: 'Is that it?' (Holds up missing Observer's window)

Insignificant Self: :blush::shocked::rant::banghead:

That sounds like a script from Martian Towers!

Good save on the hatch Tony.

Martian

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Good save (and clever tip) for the bomb release Tony :)

Good save Significant Other on the Observer's window.

Well-deserved smug grin on the nav lights.

Good day!

:thumbsup2:

403726-Ice-Cube-Quote-If-the-day-did-not

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

I very much needed and deserved smug grin Tony! Really nice result.

as for the significant other, they are good at these sort of things... mine either finds it or when I moan about it the next day tells me she found it and binned it, or hoovered it..

Cheers Don Roberto. :thumbsup2: 

One of the things an undignified snuffling around the carpet monster yields is the archaeological layering of debris that says perhaps it's time to run a Hoover over this....

58 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

That sounds like a script from Martian Towers!

Good save on the hatch Tony.

Cheers Martia!B)

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That's what swung the judges for me in the South London Male Beauty Awards in 1988...

That and the fact you were competing against the Millwall supporters' club?

Ian

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Now that's what I like to see - proper old school modelling navigation lights. Smug grin and beer reward justified!

Not to my credit on a weekday but it was grin and gin!^_^

21 hours ago, limeypilot said:

That and the fact you were competing against the Millwall supporters' club?

They're a hard crowd to work in heels, let me tell you...:lol:

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

oh aand MrB. Looking sweet and smooth, hopefully also like your 1988 escapade

Svelte of pelt!B)

Nothin to report to you this evening apart from the fact that the sum total of activity is gluing wheels together and looking at what's left on the sprues. Not worth a photo tbh. I am however engaged in an earnest inner dialogue as to whether I should stick the wing with the working fold on before, or after paint. The case for the prosecution rests upon:

'Milud, if my client sticks the wing on now before he paints the aircraft, at least he will know whether the epoxy will hold it securely enough, rather than drop off later and require repainting due to repairs.'

Whereas defence counsel contends:

'Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, it is an act of folly that my client should be expected to stick the wing on first, for even the meanest intellect would anticipate it being roughly handled during painting and sustaining damage of a most grievous kind.'

What would Rumpole advise?

1294770255_7.jpg

Or indeed, what do you think I should do?:shrug:

:bye:

Baron Quandary

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, CedB said:

A quandary indeed. Toss a coin? Whichever you do, if it goes wrong you'll kick yourself! :) 

Helpful, not, sorry.

Damn! There goes my chance of being able to blame somebody else for false counsel on my part. It must be hell being a lawyer...

• Like 3

It's like this innit

Did you ever pick up your specs by  the ear'ole 'ooks?

did you notice that not long after the things started wobbling about when you did?

did you not just use spectacular hinge machinery for the wingy folder?

Do you REALLY have any doubt?

in case you weren't certain I'm in the AFTER camp too

(have to admit I'm impressed that you beat the Milwall faction, in heels fergordssakely)

:thumbsup:

• Like 3