The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

That statement gives rise to a cornucopia of mental imagery...:photo:

How many times do we have to tell you Tony, way too much information! :analintruder:

Martian

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

How many times do we have to tell you Tony, way too much information! :analintruder:

...or too much imagination! My analyst said this would happen one day:bristow:

Not so much an update as a backdate, to announce that 'flu has struck Baron Acres, hence I'm running the plague flag up the mainmast and apologising about the lack of progress.

I'd hoped to at least show some sketches about ideas for a stable engine installation, but if I told you I'd just spent five minutes trying to remember what I'd called this thread in order to post this, you'll have some idea of my diminished thought processes at present.

In time-honoured male tradition I am suffering this affliction with stoical good humour and a complete absence of self-pity :o:fraidnot: 

I'll have to live vicariously through all of your builds and banter over the next day or two..:who-let-rip:

:bye: Baron the Phlegmatic.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

...or too much imagination! My analyst said this would happen one day:bristow:

Not so much an update as a backdate, to announce that 'flu has struck Baron Acres, hence I'm running the plague flag up the mainmast and apologising about the lack of progress.

I'd hoped to at least show some sketches about ideas for a stable engine installation, but if I told you I'd just spent five minutes trying to remember what I'd called this thread in order to post this, you'll have some idea of my diminished thought processes at present.

In time-honoured male tradition I am suffering this affliction with stoical good humour and a complete absence of self-pity :o:fraidnot: 

I'll have to live vicariously through all of your builds and banter over the next day or two..:who-let-rip:

:bye: Baron the Phlegmatic.

Get your shootin' togs on and walk the wood and field in all that lovely crisp cold air you have in your neck Tony.

You can always warm yourself up with one of those "Hot Toddies" a'mentioned elsewhere on these revered pages.

Nasty'fluenza will soon be banished I tell ye,banished.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

Get your shootin' togs on and walk the wood and field in all that lovely crisp cold air you have in your neck Tony.

You can always warm yourself up with one of those "Hot Toddies" a'mentioned elsewhere on these revered pages.

Nasty'fluenza will soon be banished I tell ye,banished.

At the very least I shall be resplendent in cavalry-twill pyjamas and getting the tweed duvet cover out if it's trunk. I don't think its seen the light of day since my ill-fated West Highland Way on Rollerblades and Laughing Gas expedition of '89.

• Like 6

Sorry to hear you are unwell Tony. However, I have a cunning plan that cannot fail!

An ex French Navy friend of mine told me of a remedy that was in common use during his time in the service:

Apparently you go to bed with three bottles of whiskey and, very importantly, a hat. Before getting into bed you must place the hat on the end of the bedpost. You then proceed to drink the first bottle of whisky, then you stop and count the number of hats you can see. If the number is less than three you carry on consuming whisky until the number of hats reaches three. No more and no less. Three shall be the number of the counting, two shall thou not count, excepting that thou then proceedeth  to three. Four is right out!! When the number of hats you can see is three, three being the third number, stop drinking. You will now notice that your flu symptoms have miraculously disappeared!

Get well soon.

Doctor Martian

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, 71chally said:

need entertaining and my morbid curiosity satisfying!

About the 'flu? A bit like this gem from Viz funnily enough:

Screen-Shot-2016-03-12-at-18.40.26-1.png

4 hours ago, AlexN said:

Fifthed!

Cheers Alex! :thumbsup2:

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

Hope you find yourself well quickly Tony! You have a barracuda to build!! :) 

Thanks Rob! Oh I do miss the Barra so. Took a quick peek at her on the bench when I crept down to the kitchen for resupply earlier. Seems days since I did those dreadful things to her with a saw....

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Get well soon.

Be honest Doctor M. You know how easily I cave-in to suggestions on the forum and you just wanted to see if some poor fool would actually do that didn't you? :rofl: TBH between the symptoms and the medications I'm in a semi-deranged state as it is; mercifully most of the hallucinations seems to involve First Officer Maureen...

48 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Poor Sausage. Hope you're feeling better soon. :winkgrin: 

Please don't refer to it as a poor sausage. ;) 

Cheers for that expert medical advice John-boy! Between yourself and Mart I shall probably have expired by Monday morning... :elephant:

43 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The three hats would be handy for throwing up into as well!

Here's a picture of Swinging Sid James in one of them:

three-hats-for-lisa-CULTURE-xlarge_trans

That photo perfectly defines my mental state this afternoon...

Tony

• Like 6

No, there really is an ex French Navy matelot and he really did tell me this story! Of course, he may have telling it to me to see if I was daft enough to try I out!

Martian

Edit: I was, and although the number of hats had not increased before I  passed out,  my flu symptoms did disappear for a while, which leads me to believe there is something in his words of wisdom. Either that or he is just an old lush!

• Like 3

Get well soon old chap.

Jim jams and duvets are lovely things :heart: .

I hope Raph hasn't succumbed to the flu; flipping great Defiant :) .

I, for one, haven't been quite right since you posted first officer Maureen.

What an attractive lady. Reminded me I was young once :confused: .

A few drams of Jameson's, some paracodol, lurid flu dreams of Maureen and the odd hot water bottle, that should see you better soon.

Keep some Victor comics and Commando books by the bedside. You know it makes sense ;) 

ATB

TonyT

• Like 3

Yes, get well soon!

The whisky tip sounds like my cure for back spasms - enough bottles of champagne to make them go away. Worked for me, I'd had to take a week off work before my stag weekend: one chap came over on the Friday night with a case of champagne, we consumed about half of it, and I woke up Saturday morning as right as rain! (NB: depending on the nature of your back pain, this can be a terrible idea...)

• Like 4

On 5 November 2016 at 3:54 PM, Martian Hale said:

I was, and although the number of hats had not increased before I  passed out,  my flu symptoms did disappear for a while, which leads me to believe there is something in his words of wisdom. Either that or he is just an old lush!

Given the havoc this damned virus wreaks upon the system Martin, your one-point alcoholic coma program has much to recommend it, were it not for the equally fearsome prospect of hangover aka: 'The Reckoner'. My last major bender with pals back in August left me feeling like Edward Woodward at the end of The Wicker Man for two days afterwards...

depression-treatment-centers.jpg

22 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Get well soon old chap.

Jim jams and duvets are lovely things :heart: .

I hope Raph hasn't succumbed to the flu; flipping great Defiant :) .

I, for one, haven't been quite right since you posted first officer Maureen.

What an attractive lady. Reminded me I was young once :confused: .

A few drams of Jameson's, some paracodol, lurid flu dreams of Maureen and the odd hot water bottle, that should see you better soon.

Keep some Victor comics and Commando books by the bedside. You know it makes sense ;) 

Thanks Tony!

Duvet and jim-jams have assumed the function of an additional indivisible skin layer at present, much like the cats' winter coats!

First Officer Maureen Dunlop is one of the main reasons that time travel will one day get invented IMHO.

Ah Victor comic! I still have secreted at my mother's house a complete series of Victor annuals from 1972-1979. Even they would seem like reading Wittgenstein at present...

21 hours ago, amblypygid said:

The whisky tip sounds like my cure for back spasms - enough bottles of champagne to make them go away. Worked for me, I'd had to take a week off work before my stag weekend: one chap came over on the Friday night with a case of champagne, we consumed about half of it, and I woke up Saturday morning as right as rain! (NB: depending on the nature of your back pain, this can be a terrible idea...)

That has to be the most singularly decadent back-treatment ever! :rofl: Throw in a geisha walking up and down on your spine and some sardines on toast to line the stomach and I'll race you to the clinic that offers it Chris!

Finally, one development to impart. Rather oddly I woke up first-thing this morning with a plan fully-formed in my head of how to mount an exposed metal engine onto the Barra in a way that will spread the load over a large area and avoid relying on the plastic fuselage. Don't ask me to explain in detail in my current fug, but I made sketches and notes earlier - I'll post these up during the week for your critical comments.

Hope you're all doing ok yourselves!

:bye:Tony

I shall now defy gravity and pick myself up by my own handles.

Doctor-Who-Cyberman-Figure-Statue-From-S

• Like 8

Hi Tony

I hope you are feeling better soon.  I have just caught up.  The Cuda is looking great so far, the extra work you are putting in looks great too. 

Also please pass on to Raphael my congratulations on his superb defiant, it looks fab.

I am sorry not to have been on for a while but, I have been packing my possessions and putting into storage, I have tried leaving some modelling stuff out but not sure how long before I will have to pack that up too.  Work has started here at BBB towers and is well underway (no heating at the moment though for the last week and is now very cold without all the insulation to but will be worth it). Still got packing to do too but thought I would grab a bit of time online tonight.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I hope you are feeling better soon.  I have just caught up.  The Cuda is looking great so far, the extra work you are putting in looks great too. 

Also please pass on to Raphael my congratulations on his superb defiant, it looks fab.

Hi Chris! Thanks for your kind comments sir. Good luck with all those home renovations. Looks like wooly-sock weather according to the Met  office today!

A little more to report in the planning stage. I'd mentioned some scribbling of ideas regarding the options of engine mounting:

30742022142_9d11f89141_m.jpg

Bearing in mind both Martin's sensible comments about cutting too much off, and Crisp's experience with the same region at a different scale, my main concern is getting the balance right between showing a decent amount of engine and not having the nose drop off unexpectedly. Any trained engineers should probably look away from the following plan, those of you wishing to carry on should probably have this playing in the background whilst reading the next bit:

Problem: Metal Aeroclub 1/72 Merlin 32 engine to be installed where no current support available from kit itself

Requirement: To create a load-bearing structure using only components used in the actual aircraft, or that will be invisible to the viewer from any angle.

So to clarify the earlier drawing I've done this up as a graphic:

30226300254_f7c4009383_c.jpg

Hopefully you get the drift of this plan. The idea is to fabricate the cantilever supports (shown in orange) used for the engine in the original (out of brass tube for strength/lightness), plus (and this is the bit that gives me the heebie-jeebies) drilling out the engine and inserting a thicker metal rod (shown in pink) down its length). This is intended to spread the load across the firewall behind the engine at 5 contact points - both top and bottom - so that no single component bears the brunt of the weight. Using the firewall as a mounting would give me the ability to make it substantial enough to take the engine load further-back without using any of the plastic areas remaining around the engine at the front.

There are probably engineering terms for all that. What you got there was my John Craven's Newsround version.

I'm still waiting on the engine itself to arrive from the States, they've been very slow posting it off I'm afraid, which is going to delay me getting my teeth into this, plus I'm still pretty washed out at present from the recent bout of 'flu. I hope to have a little plastic action for you at the weekend but that's the stage of things today.

Hope you're having a good week so far!

:bye: Tony

• Like 6