The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You are going to need a spar anyway as it is visible through the glazing anyway!

I have quite a lot on all versions of the Barracuda but sadly, due to the building work that has been ongoing at Martian Towers over the last year, Both my files and printer/scanner are not yet accessible.

Martian

Thanks for the spar info Martin. I'm actively hunting down images of that region.

From that building work it sounds like you're building a secret vault to rival that Of Al Capone! :police:

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Witty replies, wildlife and countryside photos AND a Barra being put together - what more could a man want (answers on a postcard please...) :)

Spar (or spars?) will sort out that butt joint Tony. For the tailplanes I'll be interested to see how you strengthen them please - I always start trying to drill straight holes and then give up and just stick them on with lots of cement and Lego supports.

Thanks Ced. :thumbsup2: I've yet to work out a cunning plan for those tailplanes, so expect faith-healing and glue to figure if no solution of elegance presents itself.

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

Glad I'm not going mad, pics 5 & 6 here, https://paradata.org.uk/media/34463?mediaSection=Photos

Great references James, though frankly the more detail I see of that scheme, the more alarming It becomes in prospect!:unsure:

18 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Arriving late as usual.....Always been fascinated by this bizarre bird.  :coolio:

I have the previous SH 1/72 iteration in the stash (surprise) and will be interested to see what's changed (most of it I suspect).   :unsure:

Welcome aboard Sarge! I'd be curious to see the differences between the two mouldings as well...was the earlier one that bad?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

"Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends" tweak! ....ouch.:o

Hahaha. Wait. I haven't a clue what this means! :confused:

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

The kit looks nice mate! Looking forward to this getting under way. 

The engine looks rather fetching!

like the nature pictures well captured. 

Cheers Rob! I'll be adding a weather forecast and stock market reports as well...

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Learstang said:

I've always had a soft spot for the Barracuda, myself. In terms of its appearance, it's rather... quaint. I built the Frog kit aeons ago, and I have the MPM version (certainly looks doable), but I am very interested to see how you get on with this kit. I am tempted to buy it. Best of luck on it

Thanks Jason. It IS a quixotic aircraft isn't it? I hope this spurs you on to try out this version yourself! :thumbsup2:

23 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

My Dad fell out of the Observers window whilst servicing a Barracuda.  The window is supposed to be left latched shut.  As he was working on the electrics he leaned back against the window and exited stage left.  Now the undercarriage on a Barracuda is very long undercarriage and my Dad was 5'4".  He landed flat on his back knocking the wind out of him.

"Can you move your legs?" said the Chief. "Can you move your arms? "Well get back to work and stop bloody idling then"...

He also told me that because he was small he could squeeze under the engine without having to take all the cowling off.  In the event of a hanger fire though it took longer to get out than it did to shut the fire curtain in the hanger...  Not a good prospect for survival..

I laughed, and then felt bad, but then laughed again at this GB! :D Certainly shows you how health and safety legislation has changed! Bloody hell......

23 hours ago, Miggers said:

Don't forget tweed Ced(didn't someone mention tweed?),proper countryside togs and all that like this:

https://www.alanpaine.co.uk/country-clothing/mens-country-clothing/compton-men-s-tweed-blazer-classic-fit

or this,just the job when one's ite shootin' dontcha know:

https://www.alanpaine.co.uk/country-clothing/mens-country-clothing/compton-men-s-waterproof-shooting-tweed-coat-shooting-fit

(guess who has both those garments).

All aboard the Skylark,another exciting dit filled jolly japery of a rather fetching Fleet Hairy Arm Flying Machine,good-oh.

Maximum tweedage there Miggers and no mistake. I put my thread entirely at your disposal should you wish to contribute a regular column on gentlemens' style. Those are both top garments in my eye - I used to live in a Donegal tweed jacket every winter for years - you could have gone to the pole in the bloody thing and not felt the wind. Walker Slater have some gorgeous weaves, way beyond my modest sartorial outlay these days I regret to say..

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry Miggers, missed the Tweed... more into waxed jackets in Bath, don't you know :)

That may be the case, but do you wax those West Country moustachios too Ced? :o

BTW. I hope to satisfy honour by ritually sticking two pieces of plastic together with actual glue tomorrow, to officially open the build....

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Miggers said:

I'll have a gander at Walker Slater later Tony.

Mrs M also likes a spot of tweed(she has a few jackets and skirts),she looks rather smart too when tweeded up.

They outfit ladies as well as gentlemen, so you might be able to get the good Mrs. M. something as well! ;)

• Like 2

Hi Tony

Kit fit looks nice ( I hope the 1/48th version is as good) and unusual with the parapods, I am glad they were able to communicate with the pilot otherwise you would get the shock of your life when the trap doors opened otherwise !!!

Nice images of the Autumnal garden, Robin and Butterfly, we had a Red Admiral in my sons bedroom the other day released it safely to a sheltered spot in the garage as it was night time, it will have the opportunity to fly away at the weekend hen the final bits from the loft come down.  We also had a very large Bumble bee (poss queen) looking for somewhere warm to spend the winter, trouble is it tried doing this in Mrs BBB's work trouser pocket and gave her quite the shock when she took them into the house, needless to say I freed the friendly fury creature in a sheltered spot in the garden.

What wonderful encounters, I don't have any tame birds though as our Cat is particularly efficient at catching small creatures of all sorts, mainly Mice though. 

Keep up the good work.
All the best
Chris 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 71chally said:

It's amazing where the mere suggestion of the turbo-prop Spearfish / Gannet missing link can take one!

I suggested that to Mrs. B once. Oh the language....

17 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You been at the thinners again?

He's notorious for it Crisp. Don't encourage him.

17 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Kit fit looks nice ( I hope the 1/48th version is as good) and unusual with the parapods, I am glad they were able to communicate with the pilot otherwise you would get the shock of your life when the trap doors opened otherwise !!!

Nice images of the Autumnal garden, Robin and Butterfly, we had a Red Admiral in my sons bedroom the other day released it safely to a sheltered spot in the garage as it was night time, it will have the opportunity to fly away at the weekend hen the final bits from the loft come down.  We also had a very large Bumble bee (poss queen) looking for somewhere warm to spend the winter, trouble is it tried doing this in Mrs BBB's work trouser pocket and gave her quite the shock when she took them into the house, needless to say I freed the friendly fury creature in a sheltered spot in the garden.

What wonderful encounters, I don't have any tame birds though as our Cat is particularly efficient at catching small creatures of all sorts, mainly Mice though. 

Sounds like you have a miniature safari-park there as well Chris! :D This season is definitely confusing me as much as the animal-life, given that spring/summer/autumn conditions can still be encountered temperature-wise within the space of a single day. That bee in the pocket must have been a surprise indeed..

• Like 1

An aside on cockpit issues...

Having stared at this and several other pieces of documentation recently:

49E29284-D7E0-4C87-9510-49227E97EB26_zps

and then staring at this as well:

30509426641_275a2179b2_c.jpg

Something - as they say - didn't feel quite right. So I did up a couple of diagnostic overlays in P-shop:

29963665813_690e5aa3e4_b.jpg

In both cases, the kit IP appears to have a number of size, shape, and placement issues when compared to references. As a datum for these overlays I used that central panel of six dials (just above the joystick) as a mark for scaling and placement. As you can see in both cases the kit IP clearly seems to    s    p      r      e     a    d        horizontally much further than both reference images. Bang goes my fancy idea of turning the photo of the IP from the Pilot's Notes into a decal....

Having let shiny on the greenhouse cure for a couple of days, it was time for a clarity and structure comparison between the two canopies at my disposal. In homage to the positively-garrulous design sensibility at work on the Barracuda, it seemed appropriate to conduct this test using André Breton's contribution to the Surrealists' Manifesto:

30480588662_f9f97351ba_c.jpg

SH on top, Falcon at bottom. In terms of clarity I'd call that a tie. In terms of (lack of) distortion, I think the Falcon edges -very slightly - ahead. As to the clarity of the frame structure:

29963632103_a420d8f299_c.jpg

Gosh; I really don't know at all now looking at that - these are both visually very good offerings. What do you chaps think? I suspect it may be issues of 'fit' to the fuselage that have to decide this in the end....

Finally an operational query. I understand that Barras frequently flew w/out the rear armament installed. The kit itself comes with what appear to be the mountings - minus weapons themselves -  which perhaps confirms this in relation to the Tirpitz missions. Given the lack of shooters, would these ammunition magazines (that you can see moulded-on here) have been carried without the presence of guns. Should I grind these off?:

30509423401_be09ccf5a7_c.jpg

I also forgot to add this shot of the interiors in the unboxing post:

29966768444_ce37a59b2e_c.jpg

A few sink marks to address but otherwise pretty respectable all-told. I've no adequate shots of these interior spaces outside of the Pilot's Notes unfortunately.

I promised my brothers plastic  - and they SHALL HAVE PLASTIC..

Glue has been applied. I now pronounce this build OPEN!

But first, take note that the instructions  - though admirably-detailed -  are spatially-ambiguous at times. For the multi-part cockpit, plenty of dry-fitting is advised to makes sure that the console/wall angles are understood before gluing-up:

29966769334_2118ef6f5a_c.jpg

I blu-takked the components into place for this stage, as it's not quite clear for example, should that  starboard console be glued flush with the cockpit floor at the bottom, or set-in slightly to allow for the fuselage wall? Answer: set-in on both sides. There are in fairness outlines on the cockpit floor to help with positioning, but I found these rather faint if the light was from a particular angle.

Glue! :nodding::frantic:29966770524_635b13b749_c.jpg

The seat is still not stuck in place in order to leave space for the console-painting:

29966771274_64b8f4136b_c.jpg

The detailing OOB is decent-enough, though I might add a few gubbins as required. The joystick (not pictured) is a little underwhelming so I'll build a new handle for that in due course:

29966772164_ac6324a744_c.jpg

Modelling-honour satisfied for today!

:bye:

Tony

PS. Photobuttock was so awful today I've now switched to Flickr....

• Like 11

That cockpit is an improvement on the previous 1/48 version.  The seat is a better shape, and it has a compass, for a start.  The assorted equipment on the Observer / TAG's side walls is a nice touch, too.

Personally I'd get rid of the magazines, if that's what they are meant to be.

Flickr must be loving the past couple of days; I have made the same journey.

You haven't started telling us how you plan to do the wing fold yet...

• Like 5

Some nice musings there Tony, both canopies do look good, Falcon are very good anyway.  I would still go SH for fit etc and to make my life easier - I have a funny feeling thought that you don't like making life easier for yourself when it comes to modelling, at least!

Great idea using PNs pictures as a basis of decals, never occurred to me that one!

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Flickr must be loving the past couple of days; I have made the same journey.

Flickr is so good in it's own right, and far better than than Photobucket that amazes so many people still use PB.

PB can encourage virus/malware traffic etc if you're not careful.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

The wing fold may get a bit complex but if you can try to find pictures of the Airwaves set. I a set and then the aircraft eventually was scrapped. I shall scan through my kit spares and see if I can find any left overs but I have a feeling it didn't emigrate with me. Like I said the resin was fine, the etch was a bit undersized but would be a good reference to start with, it was greater than their Sea Venom effort! Great effort so far!

Bob

• Like 1

Looking at  the amount of wood grain you can see under the canopies, I think the Falcon item has the edge, all being equal regarding fit. The vac-form canopy would also make opening cockpits a lot easier if you have that in mind.

The house has very much been a total interior re-build and the disruption over the last twelve months has been horrendous but there is now a small light at the end of the tunnel as we are starting to put things back into the house.

Martian

• Like 1

On 26/10/2016 at 5:58 PM, TheBaron said:

Hahaha. Wait. I haven't a clue what this means! :confused:

Sorry for the late reply.

it's a quote from black adder three.

the actors would chant it to ward off bad luck from, ahem. "The Scottish play". :yahoo:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry for the late reply.

it's a quote from black adder three.

the actors would chant it to ward off bad luck from, ahem. "The Scottish play". :yahoo:

Oh you mean Macbeth?

Martian

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Oh you mean Macbeth?

Martian

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he means MacBeth. 

I remember reading somewhere (I think it was here and I think it was a Barracuda he was referring to) about an American airman seeing a Barracuda for the first time and saying "It's an interesting concept but it won't replace the airplane".

Looking forward to seeing this build.

:wub:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1