Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

TheBaron

The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

Recommended Posts

TheBaron    11,750

With the remonstrations of a certain Martian  - as well the stern-but-fair General M - ringing in my shell-likes, I thought it prudent to put down a mark of intent, less a prolonged silence give rise to dark mutterings of bad-faith and fair-weathering modelling around the mess. So: without further ceremony let me introduce the next offering: Fairey's big-shouldered beast of burden, the new Barracuda from Special Hobby:

22_zpsfhkpokud.jpg

On first inspection this kit looks highly disappointing as there appears nothing for me to cut off, scribe, or stuff full of filler to be a pleasant change from the company I usually keep. I haven't yet checked it against photos to any degree, but the moulding looks sharp and nicely incised, whilst the plastic itself feels just 'right' to the touch:

23_zpsdftgilx2.jpg

 

24_zpszhr8vhuy.jpg

Even the bit for poking holes in ships has an well-realized set of screws:

25_zpslnubpwjy.jpg

The box-art I find delightfully-bizarre: a pen-and-watercolour job of the kind you usually find adorning the cover of The People's Friend, or B. Wooster's column in Milady's Boudoir:

993194-15610-34-pristine.jpg

I'd originally intended to use the Barracuda canopy from the excellent Falcon FAA set, but putting it up against the Special Hobby one that came with the kit, I'm genuinely not sure it's necessary. What do you think? The SH one is the bottom of the two:

28_zps9rdhpepe.jpg

Being the first time I've ever done an SH kit I was surprised at the quality and detail of the instructions as well - are they always this concise and well-done graphically?

27_zpspxkfd0i3.jpg

I'm not at all sure about those Eduard decals however:

29_zpsa5z5xhty.jpg

Do you see that rather unsightly patina across the surface of the roundels? :hmmm: I wonder will that dissolve-off in the water or do they come pre-weathered for that mucky maritime look....:unsure:

 

The kit comes with two sets of badges, one for a Barra from Victorious, the other from Furious, both from the Spring of 1944. Despite the provision of a torpedo in the kit, SH note that both these aircraft were involved in bombing strikes on Tirpitz, so it's a straight choice of whether you want to tool up as a dive-bomber for these raids, or go 'fishing' on other missions. From what I know of the Barra, it was more often used in the bombing role than as a fish-flinger - I still haven't decided yet which route to take. 

 

There's a rather handsome Stanley Lewis painting of Barracudas attacking  Tirptiz in the FAA museum. (The baldy-heed in the reflection is mine!):

IMG_20160628_113043_zpscb5grnfy.jpg

That's the opening salvo gentleman. I've still a lot of research to do on the various structures - though as there's not a massive amount published in this baby I'm currently relying on Pilot's Notes and the Warpaint volume, plus whatever images are floating around the interwebs. Any shots of the cockpit  pilot/navigator/TAG spaces would be most welcomed. I shall certainly be ducking-in to see how the Yeovilton lads are getting on with their superb restoration work and peering over their shoulders from time-to-time:

Yeovilton Barracuda Project

I managed to have squint in the windows at the restoration work there back in July:

IMG_20160628_131441_zpso0waekg6.jpg

 

IMG_20160628_131417_zps2gwhzrat.jpg

There's even a (relatively) local Barracuda connection I only discovered recently :D:

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/md987.htm

I love the bit about ' The three British airmen were accomodated a second night locally, this time in a hotel in Rosslare town.' Oh look- there's an emoticon for 'accomodated' -  :drink::lol:

 

Sorry for the rambling tone of this; new model and all that, tends to make a chap a bit giddy....

Enjoy the rest of your weekends.

:bye: 

Tony

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
keefr22    5,379

Good grief, am I early? That makes a change! Off to get some popcorn before the start then....

 

Keith

 

PS, like the story of the 'Irish' 'cuda!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moaning dolphin    3,046

Oh a very fine choice indeed and i will watch on in glee. I had a go at the frog and MPM kits which were a bit rough and ready so it'll be good to see how this goes together. But alas I am disappointed that I see no Airwaves etch. Taking the easy option this time eh? ;). Saying that I did use their Wingfold set on my MPM version, the resin was actually fine but the etch was undersized and didn't look right. I don't see any etch or resin included but the plastic I can see above does look nicely detailed.

 

I shall get comfy and watch this beauty fall together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
limeypilot    4,024

Looks like a nice kit. Something about this aircraft just makes me think it was an error in the factory - the Firefly builders just put the wings and tail on too high, so gave it another name......

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martian Hale    9,814

Excellent! The General and I shall expect imminent progress!

 

Regarding the canopies, I would both a bath in Klear and see which one comes up the best. You might find it best to use the Falcon item if it fits OK as it will be thinner thus rendering the super detailed interior that you will doubtless be fitting more visible.

 

Regarding the transfers, what I think you are seeing is some residue from the adhesive used to attach the piece of tissue used to protect the transfers to the same. If so then this will wash off either when you apply the transfers or, when you brush decal setting solution over the applied transfers. Decal setting and solvents are acidic and should take out the adhesive which may even disappear when you dip you transfers in water.

 

Now get on with it! :whip:

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bigbadbadge    743

Hi Tony

You are a Machine !!! A very swift move onto the next project, and this is very exciting indeed, I am looking forward to this, I have the 1/48 kit.  I have built a couple of Special Hobby Kits and mostly have been very pleased with the results, especially their 1/72 Westland Whirlwind (fighter) which was a lovely kit and am currently still building their 1/32 buffalo Mk 1 which is quite a nice kit too.

After your excellent scratch building on the Sea Venom you will have no worries at all. 

I like the story of the Cuda that landed locally and the photos are cracking, why don't you do R5D due to the local connection ???

What ever machine you do I am sure it will turn out well.

Good luck


All the best
Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mick b    91
5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

 

Yeovilton Barracuda Project

I managed to have squint in the windows at the restoration work there back in July:

IMG_20160628_131441_zpso0waekg6.jpg

 

IMG_20160628_131417_zps2gwhzrat.jpg

There's even a (relatively) local Barracuda connection I only discovered recently :D:

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/md987.htm

I love the bit about ' The three British airmen were accomodated a second night locally, this time in a hotel in Rosslare town.' Oh look- there's an emoticon for 'accomodated' -  :drink::lol:

 

Sorry for the rambling tone of this; new model and all that, tends to make a chap a bit giddy....

Enjoy the rest of your weekends.

:bye: 

Tony

 

 

Hi Tony,

I think the top photo is of their Sea Gladiator?

Mick

 

 

Edited by mick b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Spadgent    6,395

Nice one Tony. I have a stool picked out and am currently ordering a pint. Can I get you one? ;):lol:

 

Great start kid.

 

Jont.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martian Hale    9,814
7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice one Tony. I have a stool picked out and am currently ordering a pint. Can I get you one? ;):lol:

 

Great start kid.

 

Jont.

You can get me one! :beer:

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abat    1,009

Looks like some fun. Let's get started. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyTiger66    5,629

I'm out of 'likes' again, but never mind, I can use (almost) meaningful communication instead :) .

 

This kit looks rather splendid. I like the 'People's Friend' art. It reminds me of my great aunt Flo's on a Sunday, mid-afternoon in the 70's. After the sherry trifle and chocolate cake and at the cheese and biscuits stage, cricket occurring on the local council field just outside the front window.

 

I'm sure this is what the People's Friend (and, dare I say it, 'The Reader's Digest) mean to many? :rofl: .

 

All of the above meandering waffle is true. 

 

The torpedo in this kit features non-etch details that would have saved CedB a lot if trouble in his Blenheim build. The cover illustration also features a huge 'aer- rraddaahh'. In short, if you don't use it, that torp is well worth saving for future builds.

 

Having read the article on the chaps landing on the field, privet cutting, repairs,  a quite obvious stout and whiskey addled couple of days resulting in yet another emergency landing (bad weather my ar$e, more like; 'bad hangover'), you simply have to build R5D.

 

Its a superb little story, a real Irish classic :) .

 

Apologies for rambling; I really do like Barracudas. A lot.

 

:drink::guitar::violin::beer::popcorn: 

 

ATB

TonyT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheBaron    11,750

Morning Britmodellers!

I thought I'd catch up on correspondence before heading off to work. It's early enough but I've put a few of these behind the bar:

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

for when you get in later and read this....

 

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good grief, am I early? That makes a change! Off to get some popcorn before the start then....

 

Keith

 

PS, like the story of the 'Irish' 'cuda!

As 'first-footer' you're very welcome Keith!:D

15 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Oh a very fine choice indeed and i will watch on in glee.

Delighted Bob.

15 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Looks like a nice kit. Something about this aircraft just makes me think it was an error in the factory - the Firefly builders just put the wings and tail on too high, so gave it another name......

You're not the only one Ian, I found this earlier over on the 'cuda thread at Key publishing:

'That Thing - The Barracuda
Why should the unoffending sky,
Be tainted and corrupted by
This product of a twisted brain,
That's aeronautically insane,
This vile and hideous abortion,
Devoid of beauty and proportion,
That people call a Barracuda,
Whose form is infinitely cruder
Than any other scheme or plan
As yet conceived by mind of man.
To see it stagger into space
Would bring a blush upon the face,
Of the most hardened Pharisee
Within the aircraft industry.
But I suggest we don't decry
This winged horror of the sky;
But keep it 'til the War is won,
And then we'll all join in the fun.
Festoon the wings with fairy lights
And wheel it out on gala nights,
Thus so we'll help dispel the rumour 
That Britons have no sense of humour.'

 

Courtesy of WZ862 over there: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?90905-Fairey-Barracuda-DP872/page5

 

'Winged horror' - I ask you....

15 hours ago, BillyB said:

Recently purchased this kit so I will be watching with interest.

I hope this convinces you to have a bash at your Bill! :thumbsup2: Welcome along.

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Excellent! The General and I shall expect imminent progress!

 

Regarding the canopies, I would both a bath in Klear and see which one comes up the best. You might find it best to use the Falcon item if it fits OK as it will be thinner thus rendering the super detailed interior that you will doubtless be fitting more visible.

 

Regarding the transfers, what I think you are seeing is some residue from the adhesive used to attach the piece of tissue used to protect the transfers to the same. If so then this will wash off either when you apply the transfers or, when you brush decal setting solution over the applied transfers. Decal setting and solvents are acidic and should take out the adhesive which may even disappear when you dip you transfers in water.

 

Now get on with it! :whip:

Where to start with this?:lol: 

 

'Super-detailed interior'? Perhaps if Fairey had bothered themselves with a proper set of cockpit photos (not just the c/u shots in the Pilot's Notes) for the future modeller I'd be more sanguine about the 'super' part there Martian. Frankly I don't find 'wartime conditions' a sufficient or credible excuse for this lack of references.

 

Good tip on the canopy-comparison - I'll give them a dip tomorrow and run a reader's poll - that  way I can share the blame....:chair: 

As to the transfers, you're no doubt right about that patina leaching-out during application. I couldn't imagine that such a good kit would be let down by something like that. It's not as if I won't be muckying-up the airframe myself at some stage - some of these aircraft look decidedly dog-rough in parts in operational photos.

 

Now getting on with it....:tooth:

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

You are a Machine !!! A very swift move onto the next project, and this is very exciting indeed, I am looking forward to this, I have the 1/48 kit.  I have built a couple of Special Hobby Kits and mostly have been very pleased with the results, especially their 1/72 Westland Whirlwind (fighter) which was a lovely kit and am currently still building their 1/32 buffalo Mk 1 which is quite a nice kit too.

After your excellent scratch building on the Sea Venom you will have no worries at all. 

I like the story of the Cuda that landed locally and the photos are cracking, why don't you do R5D due to the local connection ???

What ever machine you do I am sure it will turn out well.

Good luck

Cheers Chris - welcome along! :thumbsup: 

 

I'm also going to be:thumbsup2: late for work if I don't hurry this up!

 

I have to say on this evidence I can see why  Special Hobby are popular with builders such as yourself. The box might look 1970s but the quality of the contents is/are contemporary. I'm toying with the idea of R5D (EiR5D perhaps?), but also the Cudo pod version, or maybe that mad one they had with a lifeboat slung below in place of a torpedo....

11 hours ago, mick b said:

Hi Tony,

I think the top photo is of their Sea Gladiator?

Spot on Mick - I thought that tail a little 'off'. :winkgrin: They must be kit-bashing at 1:1....

From the little I know about both aircraft, the major part or the 'cuda being restored is what was recovered from a lake near Derry, whilst the Sea Gladiator is a Norway recovery?

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice one Tony. I have a stool picked out and am currently ordering a pint. Can I get you one? ;):lol:

Yah. And some Walkers Cheese and Onion while you're in the chair! :Tasty:

Welcome aboard John. :thumbsup2:

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You can get me one! :beer:

Crisps for you too?

1 hour ago, abat said:

Looks like some fun. Let's get started. 

Will do abat - but are you ready for the madness? There are some rum coves weighing-in on this build already! :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This kit looks rather splendid. I like the 'People's Friend' art. It reminds me of my great aunt Flo's on a Sunday, mid-afternoon in the 70's. After the sherry trifle and chocolate cake and at the cheese and biscuits stage, cricket occurring on the local council field just outside the front window.

 

I'm sure this is what the People's Friend (and, dare I say it, 'The Reader's Digest) mean to many? :rofl: .

 

All of the above meandering waffle is true. 

 

The torpedo in this kit features non-etch details that would have saved CedB a lot if trouble in his Blenheim build. The cover illustration also features a huge 'aer- rraddaahh'. In short, if you don't use it, that torp is well worth saving for future builds.

 

Having read the article on the chaps landing on the field, privet cutting, repairs,  a quite obvious stout and whiskey addled couple of days resulting in yet another emergency landing (bad weather my ar$e, more like; 'bad hangover'), you simply have to build R5D.

Hi Tony! Your Aunt Flo and my Nan sound like clones, right down to the Sunday Sherry trifle ritual - were there flaked almonds on yours or Hundreds and Thousands? You could tell what mood Nan was in by her toppings: flaked almonds were placed with care and indicated an even temperament, H&T meant angst and that things hadn't gone well with the roast.

 

I am indeed tempted to keep that tinfish in the spares box, in the same way I'd always keep the best caramels in Quality Street until last. Or will I keep the bomb? I just don't know...

 

As to R5D's 'lost weekend', I expect there are still old lags drinking-out round Rosslare on tales of the day the Big Bird brought in the first package tourists after the war....

 

The current plan of action: I need to assemble more research materials - there's a decent number of general 'in-flight' shots knocking about the interwebs, but I sorely lack detailed close-ups for my kind of OCD modelling style. In relation to same, I think I might have got my hands on a Merlin 32 in 1/72: I'm just waiting to hear back. Looks like I might have to eat the words of my earlier 'no-cutting' mantra....

 

Expect photos of a preliminary dry-fit tomorrow evening on wings and fuselage. At this stage I'm likely to displace a few control surfaces, but looking at the complexity of the Barra wing-fold fills me with, aah....kind of mixed feelings TBH. Given that it's a mad form of Naval Origami, I'd probably end up with a Giraffe rather than a Barracuda...

 

Talk to you anon,

:bye: Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abat    1,009

The Fairey company certainly produced some incredibly interesting aircraft. I just noticed the "cubby house" downstairs below the wing. Did they take fare-paying passengers down there?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stever219    827

I believe that one person on seeing a Barracuda for the first time with wings folded asked if anyone had been hurt in the crash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71chally    2,495
52 minutes ago, abat said:

The Fairey company certainly produced some incredibly interesting aircraft. I just noticed the "cubby house" downstairs below the wing. Did they take fare-paying passengers down there?  

 

Good gracious no, they sat in the underwing containers with the rest of first class!

barracuda-7.jpg

 

 

Fairey designs are things of beauty, they're just underappreciated!

 

I'm just dismayed that Tony didn't go for doing the even prettier post-war variants,  the Tweed powered Spearfish brain worm failed as wel!

Edited by 71chally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ejboyd5    242

Seems to have rather more parts than I remember from Frog, but that was many years ago. How about having a go at folding a wing or two?

Edited by ejboyd5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CedB    27,797

Crikey I'm late! Sorry chaps, I'll just slide in at the back... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyTiger66    5,629
33 minutes ago, 71chally said:

 

Good gracious no, they sat in the underwing containers with the rest of first class!

barracuda-7.jpg

 

 

Fairey designs are things of beauty, they're just underappreciated!

 

Hear, hear! 'Tis a beautiful bird. The coffins under the wings and 1970's TV ariels on the tops of the wings in the photo above only prove its adaptability in the field.

 

Erm. What are those huge containers under the wings?

 

It seems I am alone in finding the Barracuda a very forceful looking and quintessentially British design. 

 

I love Bristol for power and grace, Fairey for a kind of utterly British design aesthetic. A direct lineage from 30's Battle to 50's evolved Firefly. Then there's the 'Cuda :confused: .

 

I love it, but must research it more. I would buy the designer a pint for sheer individuality. I have also read that once initial flaws were ironed out, Barracuda crews became very fond of their aircraft.

 

Meanwhile, quote:

 

"I am indeed tempted to keep that tinfish in the spares box, in the same way I'd always keep the best caramels in Quality Street until last. Or will I keep the bomb? I just don't know..."

 

My wife works in an old people's home,  and doesn't get to hear paragraphs as richly intriguing as this.

 

Taken out of context this is just golden :D !

 

To examine that a little; Caramels until last? Not the chewy toffees in the golden wrappers then? What about the one shaped like a Brazil nut in a metallic purple wrapper :hmmm: yum.

 

Almonds, not hundreds and thousands Tony, sometimes cherries on top. Hundreds and thousands would have been nice :) . I estimate those Sherry trifles would have been around 3000 calories a serve. So very, very, good indeed :heart: .

 

Your Nan didn't by any chance make brawn out of the leftover roast meat did she?  Tongue sandwiches for afternoon tea (with Colman's mustard)? Followed by hot tea, scones, biscuits and then 'boiled sweets'? Butterscotch, Glacier Mints and Pear Drops were favourites.

 

All         That       Food.

 

Yet people seemed to live longer :shrug: ?

 

Best regards

TonyT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71chally    2,495
4 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Erm. What are those huge containers under the wings?

 

TonyT

lower decks steerage class!

 

They are two paratroop containers, which could carry two paras each, they would drop out of the underside hatches that you can just make out.

I'm sure there is a shot of these with portholes (you can just make out the circles here), to give the feel of luxury travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonyTiger66    5,629
17 minutes ago, 71chally said:

lower decks steerage class!

 

They are two paratroop containers, which could carry two paras each, they would drop out of the underside hatches that you can just make out.

I'm sure there is a shot of these with portholes (you can just make out the circles here), to give the feel of luxury travel.

 

Good grief! Thanks for explaining :o !

It would have been quite an experience for the para's. I'm guessing contortionists and Lilliputians were favoured?

 

Humour (?) aside, that took dedication.

 

In this photograph the central under fuselage payload is also interesting; it isn't a torpedo and doesn't look like a bomb.

 

It's a wonderful picture. I especially like that the canopy is open, the pilot (without goggles?) looking at the person taking this photograph. Nice potential for a wheels up model based on this photo :) .

 

All best regards

TonyT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ex-FAAWAFU    10,290
5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

 

It seems I am alone in finding the Barracuda a very forceful looking and quintessentially British design. 

 

Oh no you're not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ex-FAAWAFU    10,290
5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It would have been quite an experience for the para's. I'm guessing contortionists and Lilliputians were favoured?

 

Humour (?) aside, that took dedication.

 

The under-wing parachute(ist) containers were an experiment and were not taken to the front line.  Not surprising!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71chally    2,495

With the canopies, the kit ones should be excellent if the 48th scale version is anything to go by, the framing is really nicely defined which might give them the edge over the vacform ones.

 

Just read Crisps thread on his 48th build, superb work and photos there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×