Spitfire Challenge

halfday

Hi everyone..

I stumbled across this group by accident looking for help and advice on a little project I have taken on for my father.. Looking at some of the work in progress and advice given I feel I may have a chance of completing my little task I have set myself.

The situation is this... My father who is now in his 80's has made models as long as I can remember, many unfinished and many destroyed, the Helicopter was 2 years of hell :) . But due to health issues he has now had to be moved into a home, thats not gone down too well but it was the safest option. During the clean out of his house and packing up I had to empty the room with all the modelling gear in it when I came across the Spitfire model he is always talking about... 

On inspection it is a DeAgostini model and  came in 60 issues, well they are all there and he had started it back in 2006. I have read that this is not a very good kit and flies "like a homesick wee weed rabbit" which I found amusing. :) .

The fuselage he completed and done a pretty good job as far as I can tell, I will add my father is/was a marine engineer and served in the R.E.M.E and in his day was a very skilled man so I am confident it has been done right. The reason I have joined up with you crowd is because I would love to finish the model for him, and if it does fly in a fashion find someone to fly it and take my ole dad to see. I know this would mean a great deal to him so I am gonna give it a go.

I have found many tools and things he had scattered around and having an engineering background myself I am quite practical and can read drawings and fabricate. What I am looking for is just some help and pointers as I go along and if I can call on some of your expert knowledge if and when I get stuck or are unsure. 

I will post some pictures of what I have so far and get ready for an ear bending or the "oh my god walk away"...  either way it would be great if you could help me make this happen

Halfday ;)

Edited by halfday

fuselage 1 photo fuselage_zpsujeevcis.jpg

Well an attempt at posting a picture of where my ole dad got to on the Spitfire build...  a few more hours and i may manage a picture!

Edited by halfday
struggling with photos

Well here is my first attempt and building the Spitfire...  Started with some easy bits and learnt a lot from just playing, balsa is delicate and sharp tools is essential it seems. I was given some glue by a chap in the model shop who insisted UHU Balsa cement was the glue I should be using... ?  It this correct or should I be looking for a different glue for this project.? 

Anyway I'm open for criticism and advice if you have any..

photo spitfire tail_zpsupvwcl96.jpg

• 4 months later...

Anyone out there want to "lend" me the build instructions? Not interested in the text, just the photos and what to do... I Have a full pack of wood, but quite a few build instructions missing, can post back after copying what I am missing

Hi there. I don't think there are that many people on this site who build flying models - but I do know there are some - so that may be why no one seems to have sprung to your aid. Have you google 'DeAgostini Spitfire ? I have just done that and the are quite a few sites and You Tube videos so I recommend that as your best way  to get instructions.

Hope this helps?

Simon

Hi Simon,

I have been googling and searching all week, and nothing has turned up, I could/can buy old issues at inflated rates making a bargain into a mountainous project, I have picked up the video from issue 1 and have a number of later issues/instructions, plus I have built a lot of RC planes over the years, so I might just wing it, they all get assembled in order of the numbers so at least that helps... but thanks for your time, I was hoping that someone somewhere could just lend me a copy of the mags for me to copy... but as yet not... :-(

cheers

Martin.

Oh be assured it will be a long term project, I have more started and on going at the moment to keep me busy, I have a 72" wing span Spitfire to build for a friend, plus all the others I have in build around the house, along with the two other Spitfires that need re-building after other people crashed them, they donate to my re-build tasks :-) , not too bad at the moment, only have three in the lounge and two in the conservatory waiting to be finished!!!

take care

Martin.