PCM Hawker Hurricane Mk I(Late)

ad70

Been a very long time since I have posted any work but here is a recently finished PCM Hurricane, loved building this one and have a rag wing version I am wanting to start very soon...........

DSCN1950_zpseo3rodyv.jpg

DSCN1948_zpsqgrw17g2.jpg

20160717_154748-1_zpsidt9sl5x.jpg

DSCN1953_zps7gyhfbhw.jpgbrilliant kit to

What a great kit to build but I did add a few extra's which were well worth the effort, particularly the raised rivet detail on the upper and lower wing.

Regards. Andy

• Like 22

Super job Andy and I commend your tenacity in getting all of those rivets applied, they must have driven you nuts by the time you were nearly finished but well worth the effort?! Looking forward to seeing your rag wing!! :coolio:

Very well done indeed. :Tasty:  :thumbsup:

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

Beautiful Hurricane !!!

I must say that I love the painting scheme half white and half black.

That is a great paint scheme !!!

Fantastic, and  always a great pleasure to see such a beautiful Hurricane !!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Modeller said:

Super job Andy and I commend your tenacity in getting all of those rivets applied, they must have driven you nuts by the time you were nearly finished but well worth the effort?! Looking forward to seeing your rag wing!! :coolio:

Very well done indeed. :Tasty:  :thumbsup:

Kev :)

Thank you Kev, to be honest it wasn't to bad when I was in to it but I would just put it to one side for a week if I wasn't feeling it so breaking up the process.

Regards. Andy

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:50 PM, Miggers said:

Nice job.

One of the UK's leading aces aircraft too,Wing Commander R.R.S "Bob" Tuck's personal 257 Sqn Hurri.

Here he is in this very aircraft:

Robert Stanford Tuck.jpg

Thanks Miggers, it was a very easy choice of which airframe I was modelling, also wanted to do a "B" type camo scheme which helped my choice along also.

Regards. Andy

• Like 1

lovely job on the rivets, I note you used the replacement nose and cockpit spine...

as you are evidently  a fan,  I  spotted a couple of glitches,  the aerial is the pole type as used on L**** and N**** serialed planes, by  the P**** they had the 'spike' type, usually has a little triangular tag

RAF_257_Burma_Sqdn_Hurricane_fighter_pil

and, this one I see all the time, the upperwing roundels are a little too far outboard 

tuck4.jpg

just about visible here, the centres should be 80 inches from the wingtip,  note position of panel line in the roundel in the diagram below

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

from 

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

well worth a read if you have not  seen it.

Can't quite see from the photo, but AFAIK all Hurricanes up to 1942 have their interior framework in aluminium dope

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61201-gloster-hurricane-cockpit-colour/

note unrestored Finnish Hurricane, and the wrecks in France

also

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234954200-early-hurricane-cockpit-colours-as-per-airfix-instruction/

I hope my minor points are of interest for future builds,  

if you do a  fabric  wing  kit, then this walkround of L1592 may well be of use.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/

always a pleasure to see such excellent work on a Hurricane model, a real treat :goodjob:

cheers

T

PS helps if  I L1592  link!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

lovely job on the rivets, I note you used the replacement nose and cockpit spine...

as you are evidently  a fan,  I  spotted a couple of glitches,  the aerial is the pole type as used on L**** and N**** serialed planes, by  the P**** they had the 'spike' type, usually has a little triangular tag

and, this one I see all the time, the upperwing roundels are a little too far outboard 

tuck4.jpg

just about visible here, the centres should be 80 inches from the wingtip,  note position of panel line in the roundel in the diagram below

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

from 

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

well worth a read if you have not  seen it.

Can't quite see from the photo, but AFAIK all Hurricanes up to 1942 have their interior framework in aluminium dope

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61201-gloster-hurricane-cockpit-colour/

note unrestored Finnish Hurricane, and the wrecks in France

also

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234954200-early-hurricane-cockpit-colours-as-per-airfix-instruction/

I hope my minor points are of interest for future builds,  

if you do a  fabric  wing  kit, then this walkround of L1592 may well be of use.

always a pleasure to see such excellent work on a Hurricane model, a real treat :goodjob:

cheers

T

Thank you for your kind words and comments Troy, particularly welcome are you spots on the aerial and upper wing roundel positioning as I've overlooked these little area's on this build.

With regards to the cockpit, I used the Grey Matter update which if I'm correct is from a master by Radu and I did indeed paint in aluminium............

20151201_211328_zpspqzy711t.jpg

Also added a set of HGW harnesses for good measure. 

Regards. Andy

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The aerial pole is not the type used on L an N series at all. It is the correct type as used by Hurricanes using VHF radio`s. Both the Spitfire and Hurricane did away with the triangular wire attachment on their aerials if the aircraft had VHF rather than HF radio. the VHF did`nt need a wire running from the pole to the fin, so the attachment was deleted, so this excellent model is correct.

On 25/10/2016 at 23:55, Troy Smith said:

DSCN1953_zps7gyhfbhw.jpg

pole type, on model, and below

casiratiHurri_III.jpg

On 25/10/2016 at 23:55, Troy Smith said:

the aerial is the pole type as used on L**** and N**** serialed planes, by  the P**** they had the 'spike' type, usually has a little triangular tag

spike with tag

Radio_mechanics_testing_the_VHF_transmit

22 minutes ago, one of the few said:

The aerial pole is not the type used on L an N series at all. It is the correct type as used by Hurricanes using VHF radio`s. Both the Spitfire and Hurricane did away with the triangular wire attachment on their aerials if the aircraft had VHF rather than HF radio. the VHF did`nt need a wire running from the pole to the fin, so the attachment was deleted, so this excellent model is correct.

No, the model has the pole type.  see comparison pics above.   L1592 in Science Museum (linked above) and the Finnish Hurricane still have the pole type fitted.

thank you for information on VHF vs HF radio, and the attachments to the spike.