RS Models 1/72 Avro Rota

Patrik

I think that saying "and now for something completely different" could be considered for rather kitschy. So I just say that instead of building "just another silver with two wings and circlets" (quoting my wife, read "one more beautiful interwar biplane in RAF silver dope livery"), I am going to build another silver with circlets and almost no wings.

I somehow missed the MPM stable offering earlier, so when RS Models released theirs, I grabbed one at the first opportunity. I am going to build it as K.4230 in RAF service. I apologize, I forgot to make photo of the box before I used it to kindle fire in our stove. It was the type with the side opening, so with little use anyway.

PA210003.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 8

The Azur is in my stash Patrik. Also a few obscure Amodel AutoGyros.

It is good to see someone actually building a 1/72 Autogiro :thumbsup2: 

:popcorn: 

TonyT

Thanks for the encouragement.

I was a bit concerned about the lack of references on the interior until I found one where I would not have expected it. Actually the plan below comes from Aeroplane "Avro Company Profile 1910 to 1963" bookazine (what an ugly word), so in fact not exactly a source rich in detail - with a few exceptions including fortunately the Rota.

PA230005.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Patrik said:

The Putnam Avro Aircraft since ... classic has a photo of Rota floatplane, so I suppose the same can be published elsewhere too.

I think it must have been as I do not have ths book.

Martian

• 4 weeks later...

Started with the interior which is surprisingly well furnished by the kit parts. The seat harness is moulded in the seats. This is not exactly my preferred solution, but I will try them first and decide (about their eventual replacement) later according to the result.

I removed the lumps of plastic that were supposed to represent the rudder (in this case more tailwheel) bars and replaced them with scratchbuilt parts. And I also sanded down the roller-blind on the port side of the front cockpit as there is nothing like this on the real machine.

Patrik

PB190006.jpg

PB190009.jpg

PB190011.jpg

Kit_instructions_1.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 7

A very nice measured approach; this is going to be good :) .

My personal interest in Autogiros began when I first saw the Hitchcock film, 'The Thirty Nine Steps' as a wee lad. Probably at my grandmothers house on a Sunday afternoon in the UK.

Black and white films like that, or any film starring John Mills, always seemed to be on the old black and white TV on a Sunday afternoon.

I wonder if the Scottish police really did have autogiros in the 1930's? Extremely progressive thinking if they did.

It appears at around 37.16 here:

Somehow it looks too long for a C.30, not the right shape for a C.19. The squared off fuselage makes me think of a Ciervs C.6 or C.8.

Apologies for the digression, but I thought it might be interesting.

IPMS Stockholm have some nice resources on the C30:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/12/stuff_eng_detail_avro_rota.html#links

Really enjoying this Patrik, I'm afraid I really like autogiros (I think you can tell :blush: ).

Best regards

TonyT

On 11/21/2016 at 10:41 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

My personal interest in Autogiros began when I first saw the Hitchcock film, 'The Thirty Nine Steps' as a wee lad.

Somehow it looks too long for a C.30, not the right shape for a C.19. The squared off fuselage makes me think of a Ciervs C.6 or C.8.

Looks like a model of a C.30 to me, but with a Townend ring rather than a fully-exposed engine.

Not that much modelling time for me in past two weeks, but I managed some work on the engine compartment. I replaced one of the engine parts (No. 20 in the kit) with a scratch-build one, you can guess why:

A. because I did not like the said part at all,

B. because the said part flew from my tweezers and fell on the floor where it was duly digested by the local subspecies of the carpet monster.

Thanks for the inspiring work, Ed.

Thanks for the useful links, TonyT.

To Doc72. My first RS kit. Looks definitely better (judging from the photos) than the previous Azur offering. The last short-runs I built were two rather recent ones  from Special Hobby. The Rota is one league below, especially in terms of detail sharpness. Otherwise typical short-run. Very nice in the box, less nice when you look closer and real bitch when you start building it. Very little flesh, but mould seam on many places and it is always test-fit twice (3-times, 4-times, ...) before gluing. It took me one evening each to clean the mould seams on the engine and on the exhaust ring.

PC030016.jpg

PC030009.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I should not start a build thread in the pre-Christmas rush next time.

Interior finished. I will add the seats after the fuselage halves are joined, there is ample space to do so and it makes gluing the fuselage halves easier. The control columns are not missing, they come later from the upside in this machine.

Almost all parts from the kit, I even survived the moulded-in harness. Just the tailwheel bars and the inner construction with the compass rack were scratchbuild.

Patrik

PC290006.jpg

PC290013.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...