RN V1 Killer

One thing I`ve learnt from this build is that I`m no George Lucas. I tried many different things to replicate gun fire and it just isn`t happening. 

So in the end I settled on what you see, whiffs of cotton wool painted and shaped accordingly. 

First the backstory.

On the evening of July 9th 1944 on an English Channel patrol, Avenger JZ554 of 854 Squadron RN flown by Sub Lt Davies and with Leading Aircraftman Fred Shirmer occupying the Gunners position, spotted a V1 approaching from the rear. As it started to overtake them, Fred took the opportunity to fire at the doodlebug from his turret at a range of approximately 700 yards. His aim was that good that it is reported that only 20 rounds were expended before the V1 went down.

IMG_6025_zpskvjjgeyx.jpg

IMG_6021_zpscc5s8caa.jpg

IMG_6028_zpsrsrb53tw.jpg

IMG_6029_zpsv3md2wio.jpg

IMG_6031_zps0rqu5orc.jpg

Fun to do, especially considering the subject matter, but for me a bit of let down with the end result. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 23

Lovely models and what a great story. Leading Airman Shirmer certainly had his bead on the nasty Doddlebug and firing only 20 rounds of .50 calibre is amazing to bring it down. I generally associate V1 hunting with Tempests and Typhoon etc aircraft. No doubt LA Shirmer had a beer or three bought for him!! The Avenger took the opportunity when the V1 was sighted and did the business. Keep up the great work.:D

albamac:viking:(frustrated Norseman)

• Like 1

Great "historic snapshot in time" tc(getting good at these you are).

I bet Fred Shirmer was as good on the base shooting range with a shotgun at the clays,most of the good WW2 shots

(pilots and gunners included)used the clay range to get and keep their "eye in".

The muzzle flash looks ok I think,just enough and not over-stated.

• Like 1

What a cracking story and great builds, looks great and as said before the bullt holes and muzzle flash look the business, I remember attempting bullet holes on a model many moons ago and it did not go anywhere near as good as these.  Thanks for sharing.

All the best
Chris