Paint workflow

glueman

Hi everyone,

A while ago I used to think that painting a model plane simply involved applying one or two coats of paint.  After reading lots of threads and watching countless videos it appears to be  a lot more involved ... but I'm still confused about a few points (highlighted by bold italic text).  This is what I think is involved (painting a military jet):

i) Use primer to highlight any blemishes etc that should then be removed.

ii) Pre-shade panel lines (should this be done with matt black or gloss black?)

iii) Paint in the required colours ... not too thick otherwise the pre-shading will be hidden 

iv) Apply gloss varnish overcoat ... apply decals  (is this because decals are easier to apply on a gloss overcoat?)

v) Apply wash ... then remove with thinner (again I'm assuming this is easier on a gloss overcoat)

vi) Apply final Satin coat

viii) Stand back and admire a job well done.

Have I got this general workflow correct or am I missing a step?

Many thanks

Pete

ii) typically matte. Likely doesn't matter but I've never tried gloss as usually a gloss color goes on thicker, in my experience. 

iv) Yes. Well, actually "ease" is about the same, but decals likely "silver" when applied on a matte finish. This is due to micro-bubbles of air underneath the decals in the tiny pockets that make the paint matte, causing the reflections that look "silver". 

v) A wash flows better on a gloss finish, whereas on a matte finish it may tend to wick into places you don't want the wash to be. It is also easier to wipe a wash off from a gloss finish if you don't like the look. Rule of thumb: your wash and weathering is a different "system" than the gloss coat/ paint underneath. IOW, if you paint with acrylics, sealing with an acrylic (like Future) then use oils to wash/weather. If you use enamels for paint and a similar gloss coat then use water based washes. 

HTH