Car builder newbie, build questions

wally7506

Hello to all the gear heads!

I'll come right out and explain that I'm rookie to model automobile building, but not modeling overall (airplanes mostly).

I know where to go to get all my other supplies, but need a guide to where the cool car stuff is, and where the DEALS are, too.

Having done a crash course of research and kit acquisition I'm on the after market items now.

My focus is narrow, "Le Mans" type racing sports cars from the 60s.

Here are my questions:

1)  What type of PE harness(es) do I need for this era of car (Ferrari, Jag, Corvette, GT40, Porsche)

2) These cars are festooned with little lights on the body around the numbers.  Surely these are available aftermarket, right? 

3) What's the best acrylic paint (can or bottle) for the metallic British Racing Green for the Jag).

Any other suggestions and hints will be appreciated.

TIA!!

A small bit of (possible) help - You say '60's cars but then ask about metallic racing green on the Jaguars.

Jags were never metallic green in the '60's (as far as I know).

They used a metallic 'Flag blue' for the Ecurie Ecosse cars but they were in the '50's.

Aston used an assortment of metallic greens but like most cars of the day, the paint shop mixed it from what they had 'by eye' so very few cars were ever the same colour.

If you want Jaguar dark racing green which is almost a Holly green, the ref is JAG 701.

It actually covers three different greens and the race cars were the darker shade of the three.

Halfords can custom mix a rattle can - I use them all the time.

If you want the Ecosse blue, it's the same code as Ford  Vision blue which you can buy off the shelf.

If you get into Astons, let me know. I have the colours for the race cars 'as near as' - bearing in mind what I said earlier.

As a point of interest, it's literally impossible to colour match the DBR1 cars as they were polished ally, that were just varnished, with some green paint added.

That's why they look almost metallic but completely matt in all the early pics.

A great era of cars. Look at the '50's though. Some real beauties there.

Welcome to the mad house.

BTW - the numeral lights were often called running lights.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

RUNNING LIGHTS!!!!  Fantastic!  Now I know what I'm looking for.

The only British Racing Green car I want to build is Roy Salvadori's Jag type lightweight 86PJ #9 from one of the Goodwood races.

Any idea what green for the that one?

42 minutes ago, wally7506 said:

yeah, I got the point

I'm not above scratch building, but I'm basically lazy B)

I feel your pain, wally.  But I'm lazy and cheap,  so it's always a internal conflict to see which one wins. :shrug: