F-4C Phantom, 1/48th, Good Evening Da Nang

F-4C Phantom

557th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 12th Tactical Fighter Wing

Eduard/Academy 1/48th scale

Hot off the bench is Eduard's re boxing of the excellent Academy kit. The kit is completely out of the box and proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable build, with no putty used anywhere! The kit comes with what I think is an SUU-23 gun pod, not shown in the instructions but I decided to use it. I am not sure how accurate this is as I believe the SUU-16 was initially used, perhaps someone can clarify for me? It has been painted mainly with the Mr Paint SEAC colours which were a joy to use.

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

upload gambar

Edited by Howard Moon
Edited for photo posting muppetry
  • Like 59

1 hour ago, Howard Moon said:

I am not sure how accurate this is as I believe the SUU-16 was initially used, perhaps someone can clarify for me?

You are right, SUU-16 was initially used. I've recently completed an F-4C of the same squadron and wing, stationed at Cam Ranh AFB in 1968. If you intended to reproduce your AC in the same period, it would likely have had the SUU-16.

Excellent paint job, BTW :clap::clap: There are a few other minor inaccuracies, but I'll mention them only if you want me to, because I don't intend to detract anything from your stunning build

Ciao

• Like 1

Beautiful work Howard, I've always liked that scheme on a Phantom and you've done it perfectly!! Particularly like your restrained weathering which is just right to my eye, your heat staining around the exhaust area is just sublime and very realistic looking. 

A cracking build Howard, very well done!! :Tasty:  :thumbsup:

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

ZAP

That looks spectacular!!

I'd like to add my appreciation for the detail of the VMFA-323 snake logo.

Interesting story, ladies and gentlemen:

The US military has an unofficial practice of painting logos on visiting aircraft. This is especially prevalent between military branches. Da Nang was originally a USMC base established alongside Chu Lai, which is located south. Early on, the US Air Force inhabited part of the base with F-105s and F-4s. Damaged aircraft used Da Nang as an alternate strip, but the Marines wouldn't simply let airmen off the hook -- they would paint their logos on the visiting aircraft and prevent anybody from removing them before they returned! 

Another example is the B-52D damaged during Linebacker II. It diverted to the Marine base in northern Thailand, where it was zapped with "To the boys in the Air Force, from the MEN in the Marines."

• Like 3

Thanks to all of you for leaving such kind comments.

17 hours ago, giemme said:

There are a few other minor inaccuracies, but I'll mention them only if you want me to, because I don't intend to detract anything from your stunning build

Giorgio, please mention them or how else do we learn? I value constructive feedback as hopefully it helps me to improve. I have just quickly skimmed through your epic build and will read it in more detail later on. Your Phantom is superb, all the more so for being 1/72nd.:)

17 hours ago, Mr Modeller said:

your heat staining around the exhaust area is just sublime and very realistic looking. 

Kev, thanks for yor comments. The heat staining was replicated by spraying various shades of AK Interactive Extreme Metal over Mr Paint dark Aluminium.

• Like 1

In relation to the SUU-16. It's as Giemme says more appropriate for that particular timeframe. It just so happens that I watched a documentary on the H2 channel yesterday about gun kills in Vietnam which explained the limitations of the SUU-16 and why the 23 replaced it. Very interesting. 

You could have back dated the one in kit to SUU -16. There isn't much difference. But too late now. Great job on the model.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Howard Moon said:

Giorgio, please mention them or how else do we learn? I value constructive feedback as hopefully it helps me to improve. I have just quickly skimmed through your epic build and will read it in more detail later on. Your Phantom is superb, all the more so for being 1/72nd.:)

Thanks Howard, you're very kind :thumbsup:

As for inaccuracies: I believe some depend on the kit, like the too much extended actuator arms for the speed brakes. They should droop a lot less than that; on the other hand, ailerons should show more drooping, but I don't know if the kit allows you to pose them that way. (At shut down, the air pressure system would start loosing pressure, resulting in speed brakes, aux air intakes and ailerons drooping a bit)

Another minor issue is about the rear view mirrors: the external one on top of the rear canopy shouldn't be there, it's for the J version. As for the internal ones, again in the back office, only the middle mirror was connected to the opening canopy, while the other two where mounted on the central fixed canopy frame - that seems a common mistake on many F-4 PE frets.

There are also a few lumps and bumps on the bottom that should have been removed, as they're only on the J version (like the ones you can see in your speed brakes picture).

I don't know if you had reference pics for the ordnance, but I'm not too sure they would have carried four Sparrows at the same time - but I might as well be wrong, because I only did researches for my F-4C on the subject.

Last thing, which again could as well be entirely correct in your build, concerns the metallic areas on the tail and on the stabilators; I looked at a number of F-4C pics for that period and place and they all showed camo painting going over different parts of the metallic panels (with variations form aircraft to aircraft), so to determine the correct configuration, the only way would be to find ref pics of the actual AC for the intended timeframe.

I hope I didn't bore you to death :whistle:

Ciao

• Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 0:55 PM, noelh said:

You could have back dated the one in kit to SUU -16. There isn't much difference. But too late now.

Thanks Noel, maybe not. Gun pod can be removed without casing any collateral damage. Do I just need to get rid of the intake?

On 10/22/2016 at 1:57 PM, giemme said:

I hope I didn't bore you to death :whistle:

Not a chance, just wish I had found your build thread earlier. The mirrors were fitted as per the instructions and only tacked on with gators Grip. I can remove the external one easily enough and the two internal ones. Re attaching them might be a problem though, I shall have a think about it :hmmm: The air brakes just didn't seem right when I fitted them but by this time i was just wanting to get it finished. The length of the struts dictate they be in this position, I now wish i had shortened them as they don't look right do they. One thing for sure Giorgio, if you don't mind, I will contact you when I start building my next Phantom. In the meantime hopefully this will stop people making the same mistakes when they build one.

• Like 1