Zvezda Star Destroyer

Madmonk

The detail looks nice... I still can't get over it dropping on us out of the blue from a company that isn't either Bandai or Revell though.  Wonder if it had more to do with who had the facilities to mould parts of that size than who held the license? :shrug: I must say that owning one is tempting, and at that size it really does demand that you light it. :hmmm:

• Like 1

On 11/28/2016 at 8:08 AM, Madmonk said:

Heard on another forum that Revell have confirmed that their large ISD due for release in April is the Zvezda re-boxed!!

That is great news!

I really want this one over the cheaper Revell kit currently out- 

If Bandai ever releases their larger ISD I am sure it will be spectacular and probably priced out of my range.

There are a few kits appearing on a well known auction site.  Prices range from £88 to £195 shipped, the latter has to be having a laugh!!

One seller has them at £95 and ships without the box!!  Guess that is to reduce the cost of their free shipping!

Ordered one of the £88 ones, says it will be delivered between 21st Dec & 17th Jan, we will see.

4 hours ago, Madmonk said:

There are a few kits appearing on a well known auction site.  Prices range from £88 to £195 shipped, the latter has to be having a laugh!!

One seller has them at £95 and ships without the box!!  Guess that is to reduce the cost of their free shipping!

Ordered one of the £88 ones, says it will be delivered between 21st Dec & 17th Jan, we will see.

I did the same as you but I checked earlier and the 'pre-order' status has now been removed from the page so I emailed to ask if they were in stock and ready to ship.

7 hours ago, Madmonk said:

In preparation for the ISD arriving I have ordered some 1:2256 TIE Fighters and Tydirium Shuttle from Shapeways!

They're just going to send you a bag of tiny little rocks and say theyre tie fighters :winkgrin:

Edited by Station
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Station said:

They're just going to send you a bag of tiny little rocks and say theyre tie fighters :winkgrin:

LOL!

The TIEs should be just under 4mm high!  Need to find my single hair paint brush!

3 hours ago, Madmonk said:

LOL!

The TIEs should be just under 4mm high!  Need to find my single hair paint brush!

Maybe pre-register with your optometrist too! I'm anxious to see how they turn out. I may want to get a hold of at least the tydirium. 

I just bought one of these from fleabay as well - $165.00au ($118.00 UA) isn't too bad I guess. I had a rough idea it would be about that

I am quite looking forward to getting it.

Warren - have you got a lighting kit in mind for this yet? ;) You can't have a SD and not light it. That just wouldn't be right

Edited by Madhatter

Warren - have you got a lighting kit in mind for this yet? ;) You can't have a SD and not light it. That just wouldn't be right

Already on to it MH, just debating whether to go static only or put some functionality in there.  Found a supply of 64 X 0.25mm fibre guide with a black sheath so that should make the window lighting a bit easier!!!  Need to stock up on 0.3mm drill bits!

• Like 2

Apart from maybe some pulsing engines, what kind of functionality could you have on a SD? Blinking nav lights mg be lost on a ship this scale, but maybe a turbo laser firing sequence?

• Like 2

Maybe have that X-shaped hi resolution tracking unit on top of the bridge rotate 90 degrees from passive to pursuit mode?

We only see it up and active when the  Devastator is chasing down Leia's ship, the rest of the time we see it down in passive mode.

On 16 November 2016 at 7:57 PM, directorcass said:

I've seen that build before. While he put a lot of effort into it, it's always seemed a bit off to me. I don't know if it's the hull being too dark a grey, or the red lights, or what, but yeah....

Lighting the Star destroyer is extremely difficult to get right, or I should say realistic. Even the large scale 1/1700 version need the vey smallest of fibre optics. If you not careful as the Japnese modeller has illustrated you end up getting a model that looks like a toy....Not good.

Even the Randy Cooper version that I have looks better left alone as a static model. The fibre optic versions that have been attempted, all have been photoshopped after, to tone down the unrealistic lighting.

guess it's all down to personal preference in the end

phil