Which is the best Type-42 RN destroyer kit?

ajmm

Hi,

I'm aiming to build a model of HMS Coventry for my father-in-law who served on her. I've had a look online and can't work out which kit to get - there seem to be many Dragon/Cyberhobby/PitRoad/Skywave boxings of Batch 1 Type 42s. There's also an old Revell kit but that looks quite antiquated. Is there one in particular that is worth getting over the others - has retooled parts etc - or are they pretty much all the same?

In terms of upgrade sets, I've seen a White Ensign Models photo etch for this ship. Is this superfluous for the various Chinese boxings (most of which come with a etch fret)  or is it more detailed/finer than the in-box effort?

Sorry - I usually build aircraft (I'm from an RAF family, married a RN family) so slightly at sea in all this (ahem)!

Any pointers very gratefully received…

Thanks,

Angus

Hi 

At the moment there is only a 1/700 plastic kits by Dragon and pit road and revell .they are all the same kit.Having read all the information.yes get the white ensign it's perfect for  the batch 1 and it will do a batch 3 also.However heard of Atlantic models .it's about to bring out a 1/350 batch 1,check his site out .

Another recommendation for Atlantic Models here, the kits are a bit more expensive than an equivalent sized injection moulded kit, but they are limited production, and the best bit is that everything you need to produce a superb replica with the exception of paints are included in the kit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For me, it has to be the batch 3 ,  the original design ,yes the batch 1 was a cutback version to save money,saying that,l will be buying both the batch 1 and 3 when they are released.The batch 2  which had the grills redesign and this was passed to the batch 3.  

Edited by Chewitt